Home | About | Donate

Progressives to Clinton: Pledge to Never Cut Social Security—Now

Progressives to Clinton: Pledge to Never Cut Social Security—Now

Hillary Clinton is under pressure from progressives to pledge never to cut Social Security—and to do it before the New Hampshire primary on February 9.

Hillary Clinton is not a progressive. If she were, pressure would not be needed to get her to promise no cuts to Social Security. The program is vital to seniors, the disabled and for minors who need survivors' benefits. The program should be expanded. The COLA needs to be reformulated. There was no increase in Social Security benefits in 2016. According to the government, the cost-of-living did not rise. Tell that one to the people on Main Street. I do not see that her pledge would mean anything. If she is elected, she can go back on it. Hillary is a Goldwater girl and never changed.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Do excuses trump pledges? Chicken in every pot, yes sir, step right up, there she is!! the lady with the pledge; she wobbles, she squawks; can be taught not to talk.

Exactly. In a way this activist pressure is commendable, except that Clinton has a clear record, decades long, of selling out to establishment power.

Any such pledge from her is not worth the paper it's written on. Any awake human who spends 15 minutes investigating her record, knows this.

So this activist pressure amounts to: An opportunity for Clinton to pander.

I signed the petition asking her to take the pledge because, heaven forbid, she might get elected. However, I wouldn't vote for her in a million years.

i have zero interest in "letting Trump win," or "letting Cruz win."

And, i have precisely equally zero interest in "letting Clinton win."

No way will any of those EVER get a vote from me.

They must add neither cut SS benefits or privatize any part of it because the way Wall Street will destroy it is just to get the government to privatize some of it, which will not only put speculation and risk into SS but drain the trust fund of needed money to pay benefits in the future.

Please Skippy. A Republican President is a guarantee that SS benefits will be cut and the program will be decimated and destroyed in the coming years and it won't take your million years. It will only take about 2 years.

She has no problem telling voters lies about things she has no intention of keeping.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Her bankster pals covet the possibility of privatizing Social Security and using the potential injection of money into their coffers with which to gamble and more than likely lose while leaving Americans holding the bag for the losses. HRC will dance around making any pledge to ensure that Social Security will remain in place to do what it was intended to do: provide a social safety net for all Americans, especially retirees, disabled, and children of the deceased. She is fully aware of the impact of making any pledge to SS assurance would have on her campaign coffers.

If she does make that pledge, why on earth would we believe her?

Is any Democrat proposing to cut social security? I can't imagine that. What's next? A demand that she pledge not to cut food stamps? This pledge stuff doesn't make sense.

Yeah, don't ask her, she wouldn't pull a Grand Bargain, would she? Naah.

Obama put it on the table a couple of years ago, but fortunately, the teapubs stupidly for them, did not take him up on the offer.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!

Hell, she'll say anything to get elected. I would not believe any campaign promise that she makes.

"i have zero interest in "letting Trump win," or "letting Cruz win."

And, i have precisely equally zero interest in "letting Clinton win."

No way will any of those EVER get a vote from me."

Could not of said it any better myself webwalk.

Adding to my previous comment: And Clinton has been hugging Obama, saying she wants to continue his administration. That is why people are concerned about Clinton and want to get a firm commitment from her that she will not cut social security. Her track record and her embrace of Obama, rightly give people pause about supporting her.

Bernie, on the other hand, has been quite clear for a long time about his full support for Social Security. That is what a true progressive does.