Home | About | Donate

Progressives Vow to #StopKavanaugh After Trump Selects D.C. Circuit Judge as Supreme Court Nominee

Progressives Vow to #StopKavanaugh After Trump Selects D.C. Circuit Judge as Supreme Court Nominee

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

After President Donald Trump dragged out announcing his nominee to replace outgoing U.S. Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, "relishing the suspense," the president finally revealed D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals Judge Brett Kavanaugh as his selection on Monday night, and progressive groups vowed to maintain pressure on Senate Democrats and a handful of Republicans to fight the appointment.

Kavanaugh is as bad as he appears to be. Maybe worse. When he was first approved to the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals in 2003, 4 Dems voted for him and 5 “abstained,” allowing his approval. One of them was the great millionaire liberal Barbara Boxer of CA.

No Dem senator put his approval on hold to tie up the Senate or did any of the other things the Rethugs do to tie up the process. As much as they whine this time, look for more of the same. Lots of whining. No action. He’s approved.

I see Trump as a master criminal, a traitor to this country, a man in long bed with international mafioso, a lifetime grifter and bankruptcy artist who sought the presidency primarily to use it as a cash machine to serve his crime family’s financial interests and the interests of any who could afford to purchase him.
He chose Kavanaugh for many reasons, but the most important to him is that Kavanaugh doesn’t believe a president can be indicted, sued, or otherwise held liable for his crimes.
Trump knows he has committed many crimes, and would be willing to go to SCOTUS in a bid for executive immunity from prosecution, knowing that the GOP and the weak Dems would never be able to impeach him.
Our country has long been ruled by corrupt tyrants of both parties, but mobster Trump is unique in his criminality and personal brutality.
If he is not stopped soon, America will be ruined, as the Roman Empire was ruined by Tiberius, Caligula, Nero, etc.

Yes, Trump is the face of unadulterated fascism…

#StopTrumpAndKavanaughByAnyMeans.

What will “democrats” do to stop this nomination — the elected nothing, the masses, not enough? There are not enough in this failing nation-state that give a shit to do something to start a reversal and possibly save the Republic.

We need to quit whining, inventing pipe dreams, and start planning, if possible, our exits (assuming you can and want to).

I think the chances of stopping this nomination are slim at best. By further dividing the country the chances increase of the US not being able to hold together. The only the way this country can work is for politicians to try to reconcile the differences between people. This obvious attempt of the right to take over the country and suppress the other side can only result in a division that will end in disaster. The court cannot be seen as a tool of the Republican Party. If people no longer trust the Supreme Court the country cannot continue as a democracy. People obsessed with greed, an ideology, and racial hatred may bring an end to the American experiment. I think the advent of cable news and the internet may have been the final pieces that were needed to result in the the US becoming so dysfunctional that our democratic institutions finally failed.

He is 53. While here in Canada a Supreme Court Judge must resign at age 75 , there no such limit in the USA. In other words you could have this guy on the Supreme Court for the next 35 plus years. If these Jusges are appointed in their 40s , they could sit as hustices for 50 years. There something very wrong with that.

What’s wrong? A minority of Republican voting citizens (46%) has chosen two reactionary right wing SCOTUS judges in less than 18 months. While a Democratic President receiving a clear majority (54%) of the voting picked two moderate centrist SCOTUS judges in 96 months. And, has his legal authority to pick a third, wiped away by a racist subset of Southern ( Old Confederate ) Republican Senators. Who are more than likely working on behest of unknown or secretive groups and societies, not unlike their older incarnations of the 1950s, White Citizens Councils, The John Birch Society and The Klu Klux Klan. That’s what’s fucking wrong here.
The cure? Well, if there was ever a time to get serious about tipping over a thoroughly rotten and corrupt (possibly illegal adm. put into office by the aforementioned groups and societies) political system of national governance, this might be one of those " overripe " instances of such. If it isn’t, it just might have to suffice like fire or ice, until the ideal temperature arrives.
At times like this it is always a good idea to use your head. So, to paraphrase some, " this ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no fooling around…"
And whatever could possibly happen, just remember not to stand by any windows, unless you’re very, very comfortable catching a breeze from the cool night air.
That’s my American take anyway. Would any of this fly with the citizenry of our Northern American neighbors? How about our real Southern neighbors? Just wonderin’.

If the DNC and the RNC are not stopped soon. It’s not Trump, it’s who’s behind him. And yeah, they only terrible people to be their puppets.

Unfortunate these very same progressives are among the first ones being blamed for this nomination, being told they are complicit because they dared to vote their conscious. And they will continue to be blamed even when the democrats inevitably fold and confirm this nomination.

An old Broadway meditation on the current reaction in CD to the supreme court nomination:

t seems we stood and talked like this before
We looked at each other in the same way then
But I can’t remember where or when
The clothes you’re wearing are the clothes you wore
The smile you are smiling you were smiling then
But I can’t remember where or when
Some things that happen for the first time
Seem to be happening again
And so it seems that we have met before
And laughed before and loved before
But who knows where or when?

Lorenz Hart and
Richard Rogers

Just like witnessing the white smoke above the Vatican after the choice of a new pope, last night saw the annointing of the next all powerful, pro-corporate SCOTUS justice. And while there was no white smoke escaping the chimney of the Capitol building, the signs of democratic approval where obvious as Joe Donnolly was seen giving a reach around to joe Manchin, all the while Heidi Heitkamp served herself with a large black marital aid.
Mark my words, this guy is a lock.

Other than Gorsich, this is by far the most cynical and calculating SCOTUS appointment ever. What we witnessed last night was an utterly corrupt rich man choose his own judge prior to his trial.
This pick, along with the pick of the brown shirted Gorsich, shall be looked back upon as the final shot fired in the great USA class war.
The rich have of course, won.

And while this circus of confirmation hearings begins, Trump and his allies in Congress will quietly pass more bills to line the pockets of their donors while destroying whatever is left of our country. Kavanaugh will likely be confirmed, and then they’ll have guaranteed judicial approval of whatever sick laws they passed while the media’s attention was directed elsewhere.

One thing I have to say for Trump, he’s a MASTER at misdirection.

Exits??? Where? Nobody wants us. Expats do have a growing community in parts of Mexico (what irony, huh?)

Many developed nation’s have strict immigrant laws. Maybe ok if your white-collar doctor, lawyer and fluent in foreign language with relatives of the same country. How many of us fit that criteria???

The DNC has little or no power. That’s one of the cogs in the wheel that helped to contribute to this nightmare–by being powerless. RNC has BIG bucks to convert people, start powerful organizing. And conservative voters who call themselves, Dems have kept Dem party status quo, useless.

We all here have to ask ourselves…how much of an activist have anyone of us been in the past 8 years?? This is also and mostly why we are here AND our lousy!! MSM.

Civil war.

You’re claiming Sotomayor and Kagan are moderate centrists?

Oh man, I just shot scrambled eggs through my nose! Not only were they wholly unqualified to serve as SCJ but they have voted almost 100% of the time to legislate from the SC Bench.

Anyway, call President Trump’s choices bananas for all I care because buddy, you’re going to have to live with them FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Plus when Buzzie moves on, and there’s no way she makes it to the end of President Trump’s second term(and if by some miracle she does, she’ll never outlast President Pence)Amy Barrett will make it a 6-3 SC FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Plus, plus, I hear the “wise latina” has health issues. Uh-oh.

So now that you can’t use the courts to legislate your policies and your ever shrinking voting base can’t elect a dog catcher, what’s a REgressive to do?

You are such a fucking troll.