Home | About | Donate

Progressives Wake Up: It’s Time to Put Centrism to Rest

Progressives Wake Up: It’s Time to Put Centrism to Rest

Peter Bloom

The prospects of a Trump presidency appear more deplorable by the day. In the first week of presumptive reign he has installed a confirmed white nationalist as head of his transition team and threatened to register all Muslims.

It should have been put down long ago. The delay in doing so (which is still not a fait accompli) already is damaging for generations to come just in terms of climate change denial.

Yes, these seem like dark times and they are, but there is nothing that motivates lefties to fight for things more than a crazy Republican in the White House. Perhaps now is a good time to come together and get ready to fight for this country. We've done it before.

I couldn't agree more, Peter. The problem seems to be that we're all kind of scattered right now. Who can bring together all of these disparate groups that want the same thing, together. Bernie? We need some kind of progressive tea party.

I largely agree. I'd like progressive policies to be in power. But we have to remember this is a democracy and our battle is to win a majority of voters to support progressive policies.

Some polices they do others they don't. And if we want to win elections some compromises are needed. And that's ok, as we try to keep increasing the support for progressive policies.

But we don't want to be so demanding as to lose again, this time just gaining some progressive votes but not getting some of Hillary's voters to where it's not enough. Let's be as progressive as we can to get a win.

Before Obama was elected or the tea party existed, I was saying what progressives need to do is form what I called a "meta party" - meaning it had organization and policies like a party, but it would be an add-on to the Democratic Party.

Funny thing, then the Tea Party used the idea.

And it worked.

It's still what we need to do. Support the Democratic Party, and get as many primaries won by progressives as possible.

Before Obama was elected or the tea party existed, I was saying what progressives need to do is form what I called a "meta party" - meaning it had organization and policies like a party, but it would be an add-on to the Democratic Party.

Funny thing, then the Tea Party used the idea.

And it worked.

It's still what we need to do. Support the Democratic Party, and get as many primaries won by progressives as possible.

The selection by the Democrats of Chuck Shumer to be the Senate minority leader says all anyone needs to know about how serious the Democrats are about reform. Shumer was expected to be the majority leader and push Clinton's agenda if she had won and he ranks with the Clintons with his ties to Wall Street and big banking. He's as establishment centrist Democrat as it gets. In fact, Trump has contributed to some of his re-election campaigns. He is now the most influential Democrat in Washington. So much for all the talk of party reform.

Step one is to finally acknowledge that the Democratic Party is Republican. It is the corporate neo-liberal war party... has been for a long time. Appealing to the center would be a progressive stance for them. What did newly appointed Senate Minority leader Chuck Schumer have to say about the Democratic base this election:

“For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we
will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia,
and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”

The Democratic Party will not change, and to think otherwise is foolish. Trying to reform it, in my opinion, is a waste of time. Want a revolution, have Sanders join the Green Party. At this point anything less is not enough.

The Green Party seems like an excellent place to start. I don't think there is anything in their platform that progressives disagree with.

The party itself no, unfortunately Jill Stein has a couple of supposed beliefs that people can disagree with, such as being a supposed anti-vaxxer. I personally don't believe such and think it is just rumors created by the Correct the Record shills but true or not, they have hurt Stein's image.

Since when are progressives centrists?
Out there.

It was a smear. Her concern was with the influence of the Pharmaceutical Industry within the FDA.

Baseless “Anti-Vax” Attacks Against Dr. Jill Stein Distract from Her Call to End the Corrupting Influence of the Pharmaceutical Industry Within the FDA

In her own words:

As a medical doctor of course I support vaccinations. I have a problem with the FDA being controlled by drug companies.

That is a position that I think most people with even the slightest knowledge of Big Pharma would agree with. Any outlet that published this (Slate and Vox off the top of my head), should be treated as highly questionable. All they had to do is ask her.

Exactly right, and thus does round one go to the center-right status quo Democrats and, by extension, to the Republican Party.

Next up: can lobbyist Howard Dean stave off a challenge from the left and entrench the Stupid Strategy as Chair of the DNC?
Don't forget to tune in to the next exciting episode of Eternal Corporate Romance!

"Amidst the justified anger and despair at Clinton’s loss"

I was angry and outraged by the choices foisted on us in our so-called democratic election. The anger and despair would still be there if HRC/KBH had been the winner instead.

"It's time for Progressives to wake up from its false dreams of 'moderate' progress."

Progressives haven't been actually represented for decades.

There was never a dream of moderate progress.

There was a gradual takeover of the Democratic Party by bribe taking (lobbyist accessible) representatives, who were nothing more than Con-Men, running out a string of lies and deceit for as long as they could, to keep their good thing going for themselves.

The Military/Intelligence monster, that we face, grew fat on the ill gotten gains funneled to them by these same charlatans who claimed to represent us Citizens, while all the while betraying us at every turn.

The very sobriquet "Anti Vaxxer" is an anti-Scientific term.

There has been no open discussion and analysis of vaccines, in fact, open discussion has been suppressed by the Pharmaceutical Industry, beating away anyone with evidence to the contrary, so as to keep their stranglehold on public health and wellness methods.

There are an awful lot of parents of Autistic Children who believe that Vaccinations are the direct cause of what happened to their kids.

The explosion of kids afflicted is mind blowing, yet Big Pharma has shut down as much public investigation as possible, only letting through approved, in house studies, by entities usually bankrolled by them, bearing independent sounding names.

With the Dems it seems "seniority" is everything, not honor, integrity or courage - and how does one get seniority? By being entrenched in power and a sell-out - "centrist", "Moderate", ie Republicon lite - a "kinder gentler" stab in the back.
Representatives and ideas that could bring change are sidelined (and if elected as a maverick, quickly absorbed into the Dem collective) for same old failures and an MO of craven timidity, "compromise", collusion, and serving big-money. Millions have had a belly-full of such, as we have just seen, while a voice (voices) of service and representation for the 99% and environmental stewardship are silenced by machine arrogance and self-interest. The Dem operational "leadership"/entrenched power never misses a chance to fail their base or sell-out........................pathetic - but voters get what they wish for.

Its likely the only answer is a new People's Progressive Party that actually represents the 99%, and let the corrupt Dem machine whores rot! We will soon see......

"Trump rose on the back of an unenthusiastic left........" The left was very enthusiastic until Bernie's campaign was waylaid by the DNC. And, the left had been working for years and years and been belittled and patronized including by Obama's administration which was for the most part totally unresponsive.

It's the centrist that have been sitting clueless with a good book throughout the Wall Street buy outs, drone strikes and cozy White House family photos. If we could get some of those folks on board for a progressive and life affirming agenda, then we might have something.

You may be right, but I'm hoping it's that the Senate Dems just acted too soon. What happens in the House with Pelosi will be more telling.