Home | About | Donate

'Prohibition Only Ends Once': 421 For All Group Takes Aim at Cannabis Criminal Justice Reform

'Prohibition Only Ends Once': 421 For All Group Takes Aim at Cannabis Criminal Justice Reform

Eoin Higgins, staff writer

Activists are taking advantage of the day after the country's biggest weed holiday to spread a message of diversity, inclusion, and restorative justice as legalization at the state and federal level increasingly becomes the law of the land.

"Prohibition only ends once."
-- Sky Cohen, event organizer

1 Like

Excellent article, and excellent work.

Here’s local Seattle rapper Draze with his piece about 23rd and Union, where brothers used to get arrested for street hustling dime bags, but now a local white entrepreneur got the license to legally sell on the same corner as the neighborhood gentrifies:

2 Likes

I remember the Central District before gentrification began, there and in other close-knit neighborhoods in that area of Seattle. Whole communities and lives were destroyed in the name of capitalist greed. 23rd and Union has become a sterile, cold place…

1 Like

When I was living in the Seattle, Tacoma area in early 1971 Washington state was awash in legal and illegal drug traffic and drug use of all kinds.
High times were had whenever the kegs of Seconal or white cross spilled into the area. Coke, hash, and psychedelics were everywhere.

1 Like

Same thing here on the Gulf Coast. 85 - 90 % of my graduating class in high school smoked weed in 1978 (and the other 15% didn’t care). I feel sorry for the younger generations who have never known a time without the drug war.

1 Like

I used to be a conservative but pot made me a liberal. With legalization, maybe conservative troglodytes will turn into humans.

Pot is nature’s way of saying “hi”.

2 Likes

Those were the days back before Nixon passed the Controlled Substances Act. A buddy of mine had a live in grandmother that had these huge bottles of Seconal, Sopors (quaaludes), Demerol, and yeah loads of white cross, weed, acid, and mescaline. Combined with all the good music the times couldn’t be beat. Yeah the kids of today live remarkably restricted lifestyles…poor guys.

It would be fun to swap stories some time. Here is one of the more outlandish ones. When I returned from Vietnam I smuggled 40 opiated pre packaged joints back home hidden in a metal banded approx. 6" x 8" mirror packed inside after I removed the cardboard. Oh to be young, wild, and unafraid.

2 Likes

Eugene OR in the early 70’s was like that. ALso had free ‘Organically grown’ Liberty caps. In just about any cow pasture at the right times of the year.

That was me circa 1968. On my first voyage as an ordinary seaman, I scored in Balboa, Panama CZ. I cleaned it, throwing the seeds and stems overboard (do I wish I had those seeds back?? You bet your bippy!!!) and jammed it into a Prince Albert tobacco tin. Walked off the pier to my car without a hitch.

Everything you’ve ever heard about Panama Red is true. One joint could righteously stone half a dozen sunrise-watching freaks for HOURS.

2 Likes

Panama Red was indeed pretty potent stuff…esp. for back then. Ever try any Thai Stick? WooHoo!!! Of course one night up at our local lake hangout I had a buddy of mine start scraping “spiders on a stick” off into whatever happened to be getting passed around in the bowl and everyone just assumed it was some funny looking dried buds…until everyone started getting completely blitzed. Joke was on us! Wasn’t cannabis after all. It was peyote. Guess who didn’t drive home that night? Started too until getting ready to pull off on the county road but couldn’t. Thought there was a fucking line of traffic coming at me from one direction until a single car zoomed by and the traffic jam went away. Had a rough time at stop signs too. Never could tell whether I had stopped or was still moving. I decided to park it!!!