Home | About | Donate

Propaganda, Intelligence and MH-17

Propaganda, Intelligence and MH-17

Ray McGovern

During a recent interview, I was asked to express my conclusions about the July 17, 2014 shoot-down of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 over Ukraine, prompting me to take another hard look at Official Washington’s dubious claims – pointing the finger of blame at eastern Ukrainian rebels and Moscow – based on shaky evidence regarding who was responsible for this terrible tragedy.

A recent news item made me angry:

"WASHINGTON — American hostage Kayla Mueller was repeatedly forced to have sex with Abu Bakr Baghdadi, the leader of the Islamic State group, US intelligence officials told her family in June..The news is but the latest in a litany of horrors perpetrated by the Islamic State group, which has beheaded, burned and crucified male captives while passing around women as sex slaves."

Shortly afterward I saw another news item:

"ISIS Enshrines a Theology of Rape - Claiming the Quran’s support, the Islamic State codifies sex slavery in
conquered regions of Iraq and Syria and uses the practice as a recruiting tool.

QADIYA, Iraq — In the moments before he raped the 12-year-old girl, the Islamic State fighter took the time to explain that what he was about to do was not a sin. Because the preteen girl practiced a religion other than Islam, the Quran not only gave him the right to rape her — it condoned and encouraged it, he insisted.

He bound her hands and gagged her. Then he knelt beside the bed and prostrated himself in prayer before getting on top of her.

When it was over, he knelt to pray again, bookending the rape with acts of religious devotion.

“I kept telling him it hurts — please stop,” said the girl, whose body is so small an adult could circle her waist with two hands. “He told me that according to Islam he is allowed to rape an unbeliever. He said that by raping me, he is drawing closer to God,..”"

Both of those reports made me think back to another report that evoked a visceral response:

"But the most dramatic moment in this story came on October 10, 1990, when a 15 year old Kuwaiti girl, identified simply as Nayirah testified in front of the Congressional Human Rights Caucus that she had personally witnessed 15 infants taken from incubators by Iraqi forces who she said, "left the babies on the coal floor to die." California Democrat Tom Lantos explained that her identity would be kept secret to protect her family.

What was not said at the time is that Nayirah was the daughter of the Kuwaiti ambassador to the US, Saud Nasir al-Sabah.."

Now, both the current reports may well be true, but it's also possible they are propaganda designed to amp up support for U.S. boots on the ground against ISIS.

I have no way of knowing. That's one of the results of propaganda. It makes all reporting questionable.

Sounds like a bunch of children playing dangerous spy games.

Mr.McGovern's main gist is that Intelligence is a sound profession and that "good" Intelligence-producing professionals provide a viable service.

In the same way that so many in these threads insist that the handful of decent politicians like Dennis Kucinich, Alan Grayson, and Bernie Sanders inadvertently maintain the status quo by giving Democratic Voters hope in a system that's proven a failure for decades... Mr. McGovern's no doubt sincere wish to improve upon the honesty within the Intelligence Community grants this field credence. But is that deserved?

In the same way the Intelligent Mind asks what good have wars and warriors been since World War II (and prior to it... had no Third Reich risen through so much homage to brute force and soldiering), what good CAN Intelligence of this covert 007 sort produce apart from spreading jingoism, competition and fears among nations?

The great challenge of our times is the FACT that in so many ways climate & weather, harvest seasons and stable rains are falling asunder. The vast amount of resources wasted on the NONSENSE called Intelligence--which is YET to stop a war or hinder the war mentality which is the disease that threatens humanity most--could instead be applied to all those inventors, new energy systems, and infrastructure begging for financial and intellectual support.

The Intelligence agencies are passe. They had their era and mostly all they do is provide cover to policies of destruction in the same way that so many unbalanced psychologists granted cover to the torture camps at Guantanamo and elsewhere; and in the same way that too many doctors go along with Big Pharma's chemical cocktails which have NOTHING to do with protecting or sustaining human health.

The 11th hour has struck and ONLY a paradigm change can save humanity. The rationales that propped up all the systems OF CONTROL that patriarchal capitalism (as Vandana Shiva wisely refers to it) built, are in stages of collapse.

Watch for falling debris.

They sure do recycle the same scripts.

This article hits the head of the nail with the hammer. With the photography from satellites, communications intercepts, GPS, and other data, the PR sections of the State Department should be crowing from the rooftops using the information that proves Kerry's silly Social Media conclusion. In the absence of this response, what else can be concluded? The data does not support Kerry's conclusion. Thus, best not to revise Clapper's stale offering from the DNI.

Ray McGovern has argued this very well.

More than that, there appears to be a concerted and coordinated effort globally to portray Islam in the worst possible light. This is not helped by the Takfiri mindset promoted by the Wahhabi/Salafi adherents and their bottomless purses wanting to turn back the clock to pre-Islamic times.

So the propaganda is carefully constructed and choreographed to hit specific emotional centres in the psyche of western audiences, and endless repetitions will guarantee longevity of these views.

But the US is not innocent of these accusations either. When the US and their allies (how I hate that word) entered Iraq, rape camps were rampant for both the US military and the contractor mercenaries that came in with them.

But with the exception of the really big abuses like About Ghraib which couldn't be contained, no one heard about them. The MSM and the establishment made every effort to shield the troops and the american people from such accusations. But eye witness accounts tell a different story.

I no longer believe anything the US government tells us.

Bush taught us they are going to lie to you, full time. And they did. Obama has taken over for Bush, with all lies, all the time.

The USA has degenerated into something, I don't know what.

Good Point. Not the whole world, but there is intensive electronic surveillance in Ukraine and breakaway areas.