Home | About | Donate

Proposal to 'Pave Paradise' in Galapagos Islands for US Military Airstrip Met With Criticism in Ecuador and Beyond

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/06/17/proposal-pave-paradise-galapagos-islands-us-military-airstrip-met-criticism-ecuador

2 Likes

“Lenin” Moreno. Oh, how the ideological hypocrisy burns.

5 Likes

Bless you Joni Mitchell and John Lennon (and oh, so many others) who made me aware of what is truly precious.

4 Likes

How about an air strip in your mamas back yard? Somebody in Washington is taking insanity pills.
As the world gets smaller, I’m getting claustrophobic.

8 Likes

Yeah, he’s an apostate red-diaper baby.

2 Likes

There is mowhere “sacred” left on earth.

2 Likes

Fucking Morons!

9 Likes

I wonder when Moreno will realize his deal with the US to replace Correa puts him in the position of former pets of Empire like Saddam Hussein and, before him, Manuel Noriega? A word to the wise: don’t outlive your usefulness.

And a word to the people of Ecuador particularly, and to the people of the world generally: those US military bases are NOT there for your benefit. Tear up those Status of Forces “agreements” before they bite you in the butt.

15 Likes

… Ben Norton, who called the decision “another sign of Ecuadorian President Moreno’s total capitulation to neocolonialism.”

Spot on. What did “we” give him to turn over Assange, gut the Galapagos, and generally become a neoliberal shill? One thing’s for certain, the people of Ecuador will increasingly be getting the shaft.

3 Likes

I look back on life 20 years ago, before iPhones and all that crap, before McConnell and Pelosi and the idiot in the White House, before anybody knew climate change was going to change the earth into an angry dust bowl, and I remember people were not that worried for the future. We were all like children, enjoying the best of nature and thinking there were lots of problems but the earth was going to be okay. Now I go out in my yard and there are no bees or butterflies to pollinate the dandelions and sunflowers. I read in the news that gray whales are dying in record numbers, the coral reefs are just about gone, Brazil is kicking out indigenous people out of their primary rainforest habitat to make way for the chain saws and bulldozers, walruses and polar bears are fighting for their survival, China is still building coal fired power plants, pipeline protesters, whistleblowers, and journalists are thrown in jail, etc., etc. I never thought I would be heartbroken for the only planet we know of that sustains life in all it’s beauty. Why are we destroying our home? Fuck you, trump!!!

9 Likes

So let’s go to the Map

I look at the corridor used for illegal CIA cocaine smuggling, and lo and behold…

Do you know how many right wing nuts we have in the area of last species wildness?

Why, there is Ecuador, Panama, Honduras, Colombia, even Mexico our new and dearest friend.
Maybe our close friends in Venezuela would let us run military transports through there.

Tell me again how the Pentagram is “Making Amerika Great”

2 Likes

I sympathise with you barton. I have no bees or butterflies to pollinate my flowering plants. I watch the geckos struggling to make a meal of the paltry amount of moths and night insects flying around my outside lights, which last year were in abundance. There aren’t even many flies. Someone on another thread a while ago recommended a documentary “terra”. I watched it yesterday. It only confirmed my beliefs of the stupidity of mankind.

4 Likes

We have idiots in Washington, who in their right mind would want to change anything in the Galapagos Islands? Let alone build an airbase. Unbelievable!!!

5 Likes

can’t we leave anything alone?

4 Likes

So well said, Barton. It breaks my heart to see the tremendous damange Humankind is doing to this planet and it’s once-vibrant ecosystems. Now the global food chain will soon collapse, sending Humanity into a dark, bottomless spiral. My vision of the near future is quite distopian…worse actually. And I’m afraid we’re going to live to see it in our lifetimes. Near term Human Exctinction likely by mid-century…if not sooner. Be kind to others and pay it forward. None of us have much time left.

3 Likes

Exactly. Darwin must be turning in his grave.

1 Like

Greed and power seem to go together, and once intertwined with religion and right wing ideology, it becomes a deadly force, much like a growing cancer. That force is pervasive now in the White House and congress.

1 Like

Just another thorn:

A $4.2 billion debt relief package funneled through the IMF, according to the Chris Hedges commentary running on CD today.

5 Likes

While I totally agree with the desire, to blame Trump for Anthropogenic Climate Disruption is a stretch. It allows us to ignore our own part in the capitalistic destruction of our home. There were scientists warning of climate damage at the very start of the industrial revolution 150 years ago but they were ignored then just like they are today. The collective “we” did this, or at least allowed it to happen.

1 Like