Home | About | Donate

'Prosecute the Sackler Family': Critics Say DOJ Settlement Not Nearly Enough for Purdue Pharma's Deadly Role in Opioid Crisis

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/21/prosecute-sackler-family-critics-say-doj-settlement-not-nearly-enough-purdue-pharmas

1 Like

The report mentioned the Purdue Pharma “company” pleading guilty to criminal charges opioid deaths agreeing to pay a fine of the $8.3 Billion - BUT - where is the accountability for an actual person and/or persons that did the fuckin crime and killed many and destroyed the lives of so many?? The Sackler sacks of shite scum are paying a fine but must be prosecuted to the fullest extent!

One can be pretty damned sure the “justice” department and trumps ass-licker Barr, are in this crap up to their worthless eyes! There is some under the radar supposed political scam with this “settlement”!

As Rob Weissman said - "there must be prosecution of those members of the Sackler family who, along with other executives and owners, were responsible for Purdue Pharma’s deadly deception."

A society and governmental structure that doesn’t almost ever hold the actual people that conceived, perpetrated, were accessories-to, or any involved ion the crimes accountability is one so depraved and slave to "corporate “personhood” and other such capitalist rot they all hace “get out of jail free” cards and our BS criminal “justice” system is corrupt to the extreme! , there is a great fall coming that is long overdue!

13 Likes

This is a people problem too. Who forces people to take drugs, drive too fast, cheat on spouses, beat children, all bad things along with many more.
The common denominator is the choices people make.
Just like guns don’t kill people. People choose to abuse them.
Shall we punish all brewery’s for alcoholism, and all drugs for drug addiction?
Just because someone makes something available doesn’t force anyone to use or abuse it.

1 Like

Anyone besides me think the settlement was reached because Purdue is in bankruptcy court? In my mind this large looking settlement was negotiated to give the Sackler family and Purdue cover, knowing they won’t pay anything near the $8 billion, if anything at all.

5 Likes

Those that have unlimited funds must never be exempt from jail time.

If the DOJ is complicit in allowing money to pay for real crimes deserving of jail time, someone will just have to be a bit more inventive in dispensing justice to the entitled few.

1 Like

Yes, however, when someone floods dangerous levels of anything toxic enough to kill, they must accept that irresponsible if not illegal act as having caused damage, and pay the piper for it.

2 Likes

The companies employees in sales and marketing should stand trials for manslaughter.

“for drug addiction?” grandolf

The pain medication they made, sold, and promoted using bribes = is addictive.
Patients of dentists purchased 25% of the pills sold with 30 day prescriptions written rather
than 4 or 5 days. When over the counter would have relieved pain same.

1 Like

the feds don’t want Purdue in court. They won’t touch the Sackler’s personal cash even if they could, because at that point, the Sackler’s would have no choice but to go to court and contest the charges. the AGs want no part of that, as they’re currently finding out in Long island.

they might lose on the marketing accusations, although the defense that their tactics are industry-standard would mitigate a penalty since they were being singled out. But they’ll crush the AGs on the “crisis” charges and the medicinal value of their drug. This is why only J&J went to trail in Oklahoma, since they benefited from the near-ban on medicinal opiates (Tylenol’s their big cash cow on the drug side).

The DEA knows the data doesn’t favor this campaign, and the last thing they want to do is have to defend this carnage in open court, as the state of New York is in the midst of discovering.

Btw, the patent’s were running out on Oxycontin, and thats why Purdue isn’t contesting 2000 lawsuits. It was going to go generic in 2022 anyway.

I get that people hate pharmaceutical business practices. I do, too. But these drugs are not the boogeyman most of you have been led to believe. And you should know that, because most of you have already taken them and aren’t raving smack addicts. There’s a reason for that.

1 Like

My understanding is that the company went out of its way to have as many prescribers as possible.

1 Like

Just so you know, my comment wasn’t about the drugs themselves, I’ve never personally done these, but fully believe everybody has the right to put whatever they want into their own bodies. And I fully get there are many out there in chronic pain (like yourself) and need the relief they provide, my last partner used what I call hard pain medications (not sure what it was), due to a bad auto accident that left her with 4 fused vertebrae.
I am pissed that this family and the corporation they run has made huge amounts of profits off of flooding the black market with devastating consequences to society, not to help those in physical pain, but to create addiction among those who suffer from mental anguish due to our capitalist system that leaves so many disenfranchised citizens behind, and creates a feeling of worthlessness. On top of that, there are many people like yourself and my ex-partner who this family has caused great hardship with availability to their needed medication, and undue attention to their physicians by the DEA, all because of their greed for more profits.

2 Likes

Sorry, in this country not so much PB.
We are a country of high cost litigators. The law as we knew it has become irrelevant.

oh, I know you weren’t attacking me at all. sorry if I came across that way. it was just an opening for my usual generic rant that’s mostly wasted on “progressive” sites anyway.

one point that people should know is that the argument that drug companies contributed to diversion by affecting prescribing rates upward is also false, which to be honest, shocked even me and my partners. Our source? The last DEA report on diversion in their 2019 annual published in March!!!

We were floored. Patient diversion of drugs even at peak prescribing was, according to the DEA (!!!) only 1.5 percent of the total on the street! The rest? Stolen drugs from factories and, the big culprit, bloody pharmacy thefts!!

Yeah, that was a jaw dropper. Our biggest enemy flat out admitting on page gazillion in this report that pain patients AND doctors were almost no factor in street sales of pharma opiates.

The real scandal regarding pharmaceuticals was why the DEA did not pursue investigations of most of those thefts when they were reported as per law.

Even we underestimated how much of a force for ill the DEA was in this entire “crisis”. They knew from the beginning that it was never the docs or patients or even the companies that were causing the market price for pharma diversions to plunge. It was the drug pigs the whole time. Shades of Gary Webb.

We’re still working this into our legislative agendas currently.

1 Like

send the pot heads to jail–and let the killer corporations and their owners off with a slap on the wrist–American justice revealed for the hypocrisy it is

Seems to me the drs who are /were handing out these drugs while getting kickbacks /incentives should be sharing the responsibility/ramifications/liability, I feel the lack of follow up with the patients by the drs is a problem as well , providing overseen titration should be part of the overall plan ,

OK, so I’m guessing these drugs were stolen after the Sackler family made their money off of them, still makes them culpable in my mind. I’m not surprised by the DEA’s action, they have always been one of our most corrupt agencies. If your not familiar, check into their history, and how they came to be, starting with Harry Anslinger and the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, the forerunner to the DEA. The whole organization was invented simply to keep the money flowing to him, and his former workers after the prohibition of alcohol ended.

More corroboration that American iustice is ruled by the golden rule: THE MAN WITH THE MOST GOLD MAKES THE RULES!

1 Like

Stolen drugs are a problem across the board, not just narcotics, as a lot of other medicines have a significant black market out there, as insulin, too, will have if the gouging keeps up.

And it’s been happening for years. The large pharmacy chains, ironically, have been one of the largest problem sources for street drugs, because they have the least and worst security systems for pills in general, they’re chronically understaffed, and unlike production facilities, their reporting requirements are less stringent and the consequences beyond “fire employee x if caught” insignificant. We took awhile to understand why CVS (especially them) and Walgreen’s were so gung ho about giving their pharmacists police powers to refuse opioid prescriptions. Because they were guilty as shit and they were scrambling to not get in the crosshairs as the DEAs scapegoat.

The Sackler’s biggest crime regarding pharma–and likely their dumbest move–was keeping the company private. I mean, everyone on here will cry about how insanely powerful the pharma lobby is. Look at M4A, right? Briefcases all over capital hill.

Know how many pharma lobbyists are fighting this issue on our side?

Big. Fat. Zero.

When I agreed to work with a non-prof on this issue after my own medications were slashed, I began at that single point: “where’s pharma on this? they could kill this crap in 48 hours.”

I had no idea of the labyrinth I was fixing to enter.

1 Like