Home | About | Donate

Prospect of Nuclear War Highest in Decades, Yet Media Ognores

Prospect of Nuclear War Highest in Decades, Yet Media Ognores

Linda McQuaig

I’m as curious as the next person about the Mueller report, Donald Trump’s tax returns and Jody Wilson-Raybould’s inner thoughts, but is there really no room amidst all the media chatter for the news that the chances of nuclear war are “higher than they’ve been in generations.”

That was the frightening assessment the United Nations Security Council received last week from UN disarmament chief Izumi Nakamitsu, and it made barely a ripple in the media.

1 Like

When will Israeli Nukes be inspected? NO Nukes anywhere. Inspect them all world people.

3 Likes

At Obama’s first press conference as Commander In Chief, the first question was from Helen Thomas. Something like this… “Mr President, are you aware of any Country with Nukes in the Middle East” and Obama’s responce was " I won’t speculate on that’. Someone tell me was he so ignorant?

4 Likes

Hell, when AI recognizes the irredeemability of the species that developed it, it will begin nuclear war as the only logical answer for the management of humans. Of course, AI will not be imbued with a conscience regarding the rest of life on Earth. Nuclear war might have to wait for AI to create a money system of its own, which it will, given the value system of its developers. The money shall inherit the earth.

2 Likes

Artificial Intelligence will have the opportunity to nuke us only if it beats Trump to the button. Trump contriving a crisis with North Korea that he blames on Obama (and that he subsequently alleges he is solving even though he is not) is a major contributor to the increased prospect of nuclear war.

2 Likes

Ognorance is bloss. :wink:

0 Likes

The orange ognoramus couldn’t make a wise decision in12 hrs much less 12 minutes.

1 Like

I haven’t felt this way since the early 60’s when the school teachers would march us out of the classroom, into the hall, and tell us, “Put your elbows against the wall and wrap your arms around your head.”

It wasn’t too long after that started that they killed JFK.

Hope the War Pigs burn in never-ending Hell.

4 Likes

We’re getting pretty dark today, aren’t we?

0 Likes

Can’t help it; it was how I was programmed. :wink:

0 Likes

I think the greatest danger of nuclear war is our blindness to see it coming. It is not the danger of accidental war that is the threat, but the pattern of history, where we keep coming back to global confrontation. All the evidence points to another world war. The pattern of history is clear. Power (manifested as interest) has been present in every conflict of the past – no exception. It is the underlying motivation for war. Other cultural factors might change, but not power.

Interest cuts across all apparently unifying principles: family, kin, nation, religion, ideology, politics - everything. We unite with the enemies of our principles, because that is what serves our interest. It is power, not any of the above concepts, that is the cause of war. That is what leads every civilization/nation into the war it is trying to avoid: utter defeat. This applies as much today as any other time in history. Deterrence doctrine, made for the 20th century Cold War is irrelevant in the 21st and will ultimately fail us. It can no longer prevent the scenarios where Mutual Assured Destruction will be resorted to. We will soon face the scenario where (unlike the Cuban missile crisis or Euro missile crisis) one protagonist will not be able to step back from the brink, blindly stumbling into a situation they cannot de-escalate. All that is left is Deterrence’s fall-back position – annihilation. Leaders and decision-makers delude themselves, thinking they can avoid that fateful war, that it can be limited in scale or even won. History always proves them wrong.

https://www.ghostsofhistory.wordpress.com/

1 Like

A prescient 1970 movie, “Colossus: The Forbin Project”, showed what would happen when nuclear defense is turned over to a computerized AI system. Worth seeing if you can find it.

2 Likes

Is he The Drone King Now ? Stop the Wars.

0 Likes

Will the U.S. announce for Demokracy "To stop global warming we need to drop a nuke for cloud cover to Save US from terror from all fronts. Vote :)! Bonus question… What country Nuked and killed hundreds of thousands etc.? Extra Bonus question…God bless Amerika ?

0 Likes

I think it must be something in the air or water.

1 Like

NO! Not until it is led and run by We the People, not Them, the Plutocrats.
;-})

0 Likes

The next world war will start over water and many nuclear nations may be the protagonists. China controls the headwaters for Southeast Asia and eastern India by way of Tibet. It is already turning the Me Kong into a muddy ditch by diverting water into western China, the California of Asia, for agriculture. India controls most of the flow into Pakistan and may one day choose to ignore the Indus Waters Treaty. Water is the one thing humans cannot live without and Anthropogenic Climate Disruption is going to increase the fight for access and drive mass migrations.

2 Likes

You know, I don’t think that we are ever going to fix these corporations that do one-to-many broadcasting and that we know collectively as “the media.”

They are no longer a reasonable way to confront news, and so they have taken ever more extremely to pandering to fantasy and enlisting themselves as mouthpieces for corporations and agencies with PR problems–as advertising services for the worst of human enterprise.

I guess we will have to take the collective solution a bit at a time, but surely it will be to simply walk away.

0 Likes

As corporate media was at a 2-year full-court press promoting the evidence free conspiracy theory of Russiagate, that has heightened the risk of nuclear war, an irresponsibility of staggering proportions, that they would not discuss this issue seems to follow naturally. We should ask ourselves, if the US MSM were state controlled, how would it be any different that it is now?

0 Likes

Has everybody forgotten that it was Obama who wanted the trillion dollar ‘upgrade’ of the US arsenal? I haven’t. Didn’t he sign it into being before he went out of office to get his richly deserved millions from the corporate wealthy? Has he turned in his Nobel Peace Prize yet?

Trump is the end result of Reagan and his gang, and HW Bush, Clinton, Cheny & W, and Obama were just lead-ins to full throttle Fascist Empire which we certainly have got going now.

Fascism won WWII, isn’t it obvious? The wealthy sociopaths are not even trying to hide it anymore and it is spreading everywhere again like influenza. Too many people are mind sick with it.

*Ponyboy, me, too, being told to duck under my Mission Beach School desk and already knowing just how useless this move was being 4 air miles from aircraft carrier row in San Diego harbor and having heard all about what would really happen from my Japanese stepmom. She told truth not crap, and it was an education for this little surfer kid that never went away.

Most of my peers were ignorant Navy brats or had parents involved in the war industry that was booming there. My opinion was not approved by either teachers or the other elementary school kids. I got in trouble. As a matter of fact I had after-school fights picked because of my opinions…along with having a ‘gook’ for a stepmom.

Since nothing and I mean absolutely nothing is going to change in regards to even trying to mitigate the collapse of both the ecosystem and the climate into outright catastrophe, and the world is getting ready for a new world war (Pakistan & India anybody?), which would be worse?

At least with nuclear winter this will be over much, much faster. Six months and every planet and animal will be dead. Yeah, that’s pretty freaking dark, isn’t it? But I read Ellsberg’s Doomsday Machine last year, and bluntly the only reason it hasn’t happened yet is because of LUCK! Just plain luck.

Big sigh.

sealintheSelkirks

1 Like