Home | About | Donate

'Protect Our Democracy Before It's Too Late': Groups Demand Senate Cancel Recess and Pass Election Funding

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/07/10/protect-our-democracy-its-too-late-groups-demand-senate-cancel-recess-and-pass

1 Like

We the People must demand the same protections in voting by mail that most everyone in this Administration has been given.

6 Likes

protect our democracy before it’s too late."
—Ryan Thomas, Stand Up America

With all due respect Ryan Thomas, America has never been a democracy America has been and is a Democracy in name only. From my perspective, it was too late in 1950 when Congress committed treason to the Constitution and abdicated their constitutional responsibility to declare wars and have murdered many patriotic, soldiers ever since! America has been a military dictatorship with undeclared wars after wars after wars ad nauseum

9 Likes

I can’t understand why people think the essence of democracy is allowing citizens to choose between two corporation-approved candidates. Our choices in 2020 are Biden or Trump. That’s hardly a choice and who wins really doesn’t matter. Either candidate, if elected, will be horrible beyond belief.

(There is no evidence anything will be better under Biden. I predict the only real difference between Biden and Trump will be that, under Biden, US military actions will increase. There will be heightened tensions with China and Russia. We may try again to get Assad. We might try again to remove Maduro in Venezuela. Our troop level in Afghanistan will increase. We will provoke new conflicts. The military budget will go up faster under Biden. Please listen to Biden: he’s already criticizing Trump for being weak and insufficiently aggressive.)

How is it remotely democratic that we have to choose between Biden and Trump? Even if you think that the Democratic party conducted fair primaries (which I don’t), MSM deceit and manipulation effectively determined the outcome.

There is no democracy with corporation-controlled media and political parties.

We have only a facade, an illusion, of democracy. We live in a corporatocracy. Fixing the voting process in the general election is presumably worthwhile, but it’s little more than putting a coat of paint on rotted wood.

9 Likes

And I think the late George Carlin said it best:" if voting mattered; it would be illegal!

3 Likes

Sorry, it’s already too late. Everyone has sat on their hands too long. Those that could have stopped this tyranny have already failed. Short of a coup we are done.
Pessimistic, cynical, disappointed.
I’ll be asking for a boost in antidepressants now.

2 Likes

They have the power to kill it, and the will to kill it. I fear The Experiment is irreparably harmed.

The story goes that as Benjamin Franklin emerged from Independence Hall at the close of the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia on September 18, 1787, a woman asked him, “Well Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?."

Mr. Franklin replied, “A republic, madam – if you can keep it.”

We have failed to keep it.

2 Likes