Home | About | Donate

Protester Shot in New Mexico as Clashes Erupt Between 'Civil Guard' Militia and Community Over Removal of Conquistador Statue

They are not a militia in any sense of the term. They are, rather, self-appointed vigilantes. Thugs with guns and a level of ignorance not experienced by civil people. Often they are acolytes of Trump and his racist organized crime operation.

3 Likes

“What the world needs now, is love sweet love…”

1 Like

Not correct. If a murder is planned, then it becomes first degree murder. In this case, we probably have at least second degree attempted murder, which does not require premeditation (remove “attempted“ if the victim dies).

To my knowledge, no one ordered law enforcement to step back, although they were demonstrating remarkable restraint until the violence began. But I could be wrong, their orders haven’t been publicly disclosed at this point as far as I know.

As far as the “kind of stuff that’s going to happen“ characterization, this is true and we are reaping what Trump and his thugs have sown, as well as the Supreme Court’s clearly erroneous ruling granting the right to bear arms to individuals, which is not what the Second Amendment says.

3 Likes

That’s about it. They would be the group leaders of wholesale brown shirts for trump.

2 Likes

I still feel that sensible crowd control should consist of cops marching along side of, or standing along side of protesters. Guide or follow them to their destination while policing the flanks to insure no vandals break out.
Create an us AND them march, instead of an us AGAINST them march.
No guns allowed by anyone.
Different ball game if people are armed with deadly weapons.

5 Likes

Only once in fact after 200 hundred years of my view on the subject. It took a particularly tortuous reasoning to bestow this right on individuals. In the future it could easily be reversed.

Pretty sure you confused left with right on this point.

In this case, the vigilantes are Hispanics, often claiming Spanish forebears, defending their conquistador heroes, much as similar actors in the South defend their Civil War heroes. The Conquistador in question was especially brutal. So much so that even the Spanish recognized it. Apart from killing hundreds of Native Americans, he took to chopping off their feet. Not a hero in any sense of the term, and no one to celebrate with a glorifying statue.

Remarkably, the shooter in this incident is a former candidate for the City Council.

5 Likes

The New Mexico governor appeared on MSNBC for an interview questioning why it took 21 minutes for police to arrive at the scene of the shooting. They showed up in full battle dress!! She will investigate.

Here is msnbc tweet at 9:30PM eastern
“I fear that we have some folks in our law enforcement entities who…have promoted, potentially, the efforts of these militia,” Gov. Lujan Grisham says following a rally in New Mexico where a protester was shot by a militia member. “Why did they allow the militia to be present?"

1 Like

The notion of the cops conspiring with the vigilantes would indeed be big news.

Informers to local police here do have immunity for their criminal behavior.
When arrested, they appear before a particular judge and the re-scheduled hearings go on and on for years until the charges are dropped.

Gotta love law and disorder. = sarcasm

1 Like

Congrats to the headline writers at CD. I guess it’s a good thing I don’t work there; I would have headlined the story, “Right wing thug who shoots unarmed protester allowed to keep his rifle while victim is in critical condition.” I’d never make it at CD I guess.

3 Likes

To the contrary, for over 200 years the prevailing legal view was that the Second Amendment did not apply to individuals. It’s only since the Court’s tortured opinion that citizens were deemed to have the right. It’s not a “just recently” point of view at all.

2 Likes

You’ve got that right Joe… extreme right:
Resisting slavery; fighting for civil rights; the Movement for Black Lives; that’s “stoking racial tension.”
Enslavement; genocide; Jim Crow; mass incarceration; lynching, including modern-day lynching by police; only an extreme leftist would be against any of it.

7 Likes

I hear much about the ABQ area lawmen, and this incident is indistinguishable from their behavior. I don’t imagine that it was random that the shooter was spawned by one of them. What’s rare is that a Hispanic figure was being defended.

Be prepared for right wing militias causing trouble here. They want to be let off the leash and we are being manipulated into letting this happen. These crazed ideologues are have a sick need to unleash their psychopathy on us. They are extremely dangerous.

These are people who in all seriousness envision acting out the movie, “The Purge.” They aren’t just in the police, they are in the government, in industry and even on the streets. Actually getting rid of them will take real courage and real cleverness on our part. I think many of us know already just how difficult these people can be. Human life doesn’t exactly mean that much to them.

Long story short, these are people believe bizarre crap. Their beliefs, IMHO, are less about reality and more about the latent psychopathy members of these groups are prone to.

They want a race war will use manipulate our institutions and people to get what they want. In other words, they don’t seemed daunted by the fact that they are crazy and violent.

Waiting for sick people to wake up is an exercise in futility and we all need to be mindful of this, since it’s an easy trap to fall into. I have days where I wish Trump would snap out of it and the nightmare he is causing would end. That is wishful thinking.

You don’t get a good world waiting for the Trumps out there to change and do the right thing. You take them down before they can do lasting damage, which they will do if given half the chance.

Charles Manson was cut from the same cloth as these white supremacists. His idea of “helter skelter” is identical to the “boogaloo” idea of white supremacist groups. It is not coincidence. Manson and white supremacists come from the same source. The goal of Manson and these racist thugs is the same: tear down and destroy everything so they can come out on top and dominate everything.

Right now, people in this country are relatively stable and can stand up to those people. What these people are attempting to do, is destabilize things, since that is the only way they can wind up on top. They have a sick need to be in control. They want to eliminate the threat those of us who would stand up to them pose to them. So they undermine us, and introduce chaos and confusion to assist their goal.

I stress that while the ideas and behavior of these sick people zero sense, the fact it makes no sense isn’t going to stop them. I know Minnesota is thick with this crowd, so I don’t trust what comes out of there.

So what is Helter Skelter? Wikipedia says:
"Charles Manson had been predicting racial war for some time before he used the term Helter Skelter.[3] His first use of the term was at a gathering of the Family on New Year’s Eve 1968 at Myers Ranch near California’s Death Valley.[3][4] The scenario had Manson as the war’s ultimate beneficiary and its musical cause. He and the Family would create an album with songs whose messages would be as subtle as those he had heard in songs of the Beatles.This would not merely foretell the conflict but would trigger it by instructing “the young love”,[7] meaning white American youth, to join the Family, and it would draw the young, white female hippies out of San Francisco’s Haight-Ashbury.

Black men would thus be deprived of the white women whom the political changes of the 1960s had made sexually available to them and would lash out in violent crimes against whites. Frightened whites would retaliate with a murderous rampage, and militant blacks would exploit it to provoke a war of near-extermination between racist whites and non-racist whites over the treatment of blacks. Then the militant blacks would arise to finish off the few whites who survived; in fact, they would kill off all non-blacks.

In this holocaust, the members of the enlarged Family would have little to fear; they would wait out the war in a secret city that was underneath Death Valley which they would reach through a hole in the ground. They would be the only remaining whites upon the race war’s conclusion, and they would emerge from underground to rule the blacks who, as the vision went, would be incapable of running the world. At that point, Manson “would scratch [the black man’s] fuzzy head and kick him in the butt and tell him to go pick the cotton and go be a good nigger”.
Manson listened to the Beatles’ White Album, which includes a track “Helter Skelter”

The term “Helter Skelter” was from the Beatles song of the same name, which referred to the British amusement park ride “Helter Skelter”, but Manson interpreted it as concerned with the war.The song was on the Beatles’ White Album which Manson heard within a month or so of its November 1968 release.

Manson and his followers began preparing for Helter Skelter in the months before they committed the murders. They worked on songs for the hoped-for album which they anticipated would set off everything, and they prepared vehicles and other items for their escape from the Los Angeles area (their home territory) to Death Valley when the days of violence arrived. They pored over maps to plot a route that would bypass highways and get them to the desert safely. Manson was convinced that the song “Helter Skelter” contained a coded statement of the route that they should follow.

Manson had said that the war would start in the summer of 1969. He told a male Family member in late June of that year, months after he had been frustrated in his efforts to get the album made, that Helter Skelter was “ready to happen”. “Blackie never did anything without whitey showin’ him how,” he said. “It looks like we’re gonna have to show blackie how to do it.” Manson instructed his followers to carry out the first set of murders on August 8, 1969: “Now is the time for Helter Skelter.”[20] They committed the second set of murders the following night (August 9–10), and one of the killers wrote “Healter [sic] Skelter” on the refrigerator in blood, along with other references to Beatles songs, particularly “Piggies”.

Sorry for all the offensive racist language in the Wikipedia article, but it’s about what you’d expect out of a serial killer. There are people of the same mind set as Manson out there now and they are causing trouble.

It is going to hard to get rid of these people. Especially now since they’ve set up Antifa as their patsy for the riots. Again, they’re manipulative and big into accusing others of doing what they are doing. Trump does the same thing too. That also isn’t coincidence.

This is why I’m issuing this warning- we are dealing with manipulators and a far more complex game is being played here, than most people realize. We can stop them if we use our heads.

1 Like

Shortly after the right winger Dylan Roof went into a Church and shot 9 black people, a group of White armed citizens piled into 7 trucks and drove around a black neighborhood. They had confederate flags plastered all over their pickups and as they drove past black households they shouted out racist taunts.

They came to a household where a Black family was having a birthday party for an 8 year old girl. They shouted out taunts that they were going to kill all the N******. A man got out of one of the trucks and spewed a litany of racist venom at the families having that birthday party. He boasted that he was going to kill all of them. His girlfriend got out of the truck with a shotgun, loaded it and passed it to her boyfriend. He pointed it at them and indicated he would kill them all.

This was not your LEFT spreading hate. This was guns in the arms of your citizens out their controlling what they deem “Their Country” The Cops managed to show up in time and these yahoos all drove off yelling out racist slanders at the Black family.

Right wingers bearing ARMS as visioned by those so called “founding fathers” so as to keep the N*******
in his and her place. That is what your vision of “freedom and liberty” amount to.

No arrests were made until videos of the incident posted to you tube.

So who was oppressing whom and who was stoking racial tensions? Having a birthday party for an 8 year old girl is hardly stoking racial tensions.

I will also make this observation. Had one of those black people possessed a gun and shot that yahoo who was pointing a gun their way and threatening to kill them all, that Black person would be in jail for murder. The police would have arrested or shot him on the spot and would not have waited to arrest him until a you tube video posted.(Again no arrests made after the incident and the Judge looking into the case later had no idea as to why the Police made no arrests and just let those yahoos drive off)

I will also point out that the comments section in response to this story have more then a few of your “right wing” types suggesting that the peoples in those trucks were merely practicing their right to free speech and that the sentence the pair ultimately received was far too harsh.

In the minds of these right wing lunatics , calling people the N***** word and driving through their neighborhoods threatening to kill them all are rights protected by the Constitution under the second and 1st amendments.

7 Likes

I don’t support building monuments to terrorists and people who have oppressed the masses. But, attacking monuments is symbolic only and does not make people’s lives materially better. People who are inclined to oppose monuments might be better served to organize and fight against the cause of the oppression. Specifically, the brutal empire that the USA runs throughout the world is the cause of more destruction, poverty and misery than anything else. But, because of a complicit media, most people never actually recognize and understand our imperialism and its supporting doctrine of American exceptionalism. The blowback from our terror and violence abroad has come home with a vengeance.

Apparently, it was but not to the protestors but to the right wing militia man as it was also evident in Charlottesville or are you suggesting that the protestors are themselves inciting this violence from the racists by forcibly removing or destroying the hated symbols?

We need to do a lot more than taking inventory of all the racist iconography and their removal. We need a complete re-imagining of this country which will include new iconography that will reflect that. Those statues, along with the Confederate flag, have been a daily assault on the psyche of black and indigenous peoples.

4 Likes

Everyone responds differently to historical representations of events that include racism. There needs to be a discussion rather than mob rule. There are thousands of examples. One way would be have a forum so that it would be inclusive in the decision of how best to represent local and national interests.

The Confederate flag is representative of more than just a racist past and taking it down by forced confrontation is more of continuation than a community united for change.

Don’t be misled by SLOGANS. The idea of “dismantle/de-fund” police is that police have become the 'answer" to WAY too many social issues—where every other response has been gutted. Are MEN WITH GUNS the best response to people in mental health crisis? How does ti make sense to have cops harass, steal the possessions of and arrest HOMELESS people—instead of building a lot more Low-Income Housing & addressing mental illness & addiction? We’ve got WAY too many petty “laws”/ordinances under rubic of “broken windows”/“quality of life” issues that are PRIMARILY enforced against people of color & poor people. Yes: sad to say we do need SOME police–but, a LOT FEWER of them and the focus on SERIOUS (& actual violent crimes). I say this not only as a accountability-for-opolice activist–but, also as a survivor of sevreal crimes in my lilfetime.

2 Likes