Home | About | Donate

Protests Erupt After Officer Cleared in Fatal Shooting of Philando Castile

Protests Erupt After Officer Cleared in Fatal Shooting of Philando Castile

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

Thousands of protesters hit the streets of St. Paul, Minn. Friday night after a jury cleared Minnesota police officer Jeronimo Yanez in the fatal shooting of Philando Castile.

Not to say that I know Yanez is a racist, because we don't know. But we do know he works within a racist judicial/police complex, and all of his training and experience, immersion in police culture is subject to this racism. How racist?

Just a few stats ( check out DuVarney's 13th if you have not yet)

1. For every unarmed white males shot by police, there are 19 unarmed black males shot. (from film, forgot her source--sorry)
  2. Black males are stopped, searched, arrested, and prosecuted, and become imprisoned for non-violent drug offenses at a rate of 2-7 times (depending on locale) that of whites, even though they use at similar rates. (Dr. Carl Hart)
    Ted Talk: Everything you think you know about drugs is wrong Let's quit abusing drug users
  3. One in 17 white males will see incarceration time compared to now 1 in every 3 black males--Yes that is 1 in every 3.
    http://sentencingproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Race-and-Justice-Shadow-Report-ICCPR.pdf
  4. The USA has only 4.4% of the world population, but 22% of the world's prison population. Land of the free? LOL.
    Politifact incarceration rates

And if you think the War on Drugs has monopolized all police, you are wrong. Check out a great org. in the Law Enforcement Action Partnership-(formerly called Law Enforcement Against Prohibition). These are law enforcement who fully support legalization and regulation of all drugs--police, attorney's even ex DEA agents who grew to see the light.

And that drug use should be between you and your doc/med advisor, not with the government in between you and your doc, preventing/determining medical use by using the DEA, because they have the power to simply ignore medical science, facts, in favor of the police state, that openly strips all of us of inherent Human Rights to our own bodies.
https://lawenforcementactionpartnership.org/

Sorry Police State, Big Brother-- whether it is sex or drugs or thoughts or emotions or philosophy or religion or science; nobody tells me what I can or cannot put into my body. If they can, then we do not even have a sovereign right to our own bodies, legally speaking. Let's meditate on that a bit, shall we?

"The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the Prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this." ---Albert Einstein

As if all of this weren't bad enough, it may get worse under Trump and Sessions. The sad fact is that their hard-core supporters are okay with that.

Yes, the war on drugs is the primary mover of all of these rates. Once again, I employ the philosophy of George Carlin, and a little laugh with Samantha Bee.

And this was stated before the War on Terror

"Have you ever noticed that the only metaphor we have in our public discourse for solving problems is to declare war on it? We have the war on crime, the war on cancer, the war on drugs. But did you ever notice that we have no war on homelessness? You know why? Because there's no money in that problem. No money to be made off of the homeless. If you can find a solution to homelessness where the corporations and politicians can make a few million dollars each, you will see the streets of America begin to clear up pretty damn quick!"
George Carlin

Not to make too fine a point but maybe we could get Samantha Bee's heroine (Hillary Clinton) to fix the fatal problems she herself helped create. Thanks to Hillary Clinton's craven political triangulation, she in retrospect became the "Super Predator" she railed against. I guess this is what we call bitter irony.

Operative words: When asked by police.

You are damned if you do and damned if you don't while black. What does this tell you?

yep. they try to give the id they're murdered. they refuse to move their hands to get it they're still murdered for failure to cooperate or whatever fake charge of the day is active.

rebellion creeps closer.

I really don't believe Hillary Clinton created racism, or even the War on Drugs that was so enfused with racism. As for the later 1994 omnibus crime bill's impact, maybe you can ask someone who actually voted for it what they think. Bernie? Bitterly ironic.

I live in Minnesota so it has been hard to miss coverage of this killing. Philando Castile worked at a school as a lunchroom supervisor. He was well-liked by the kids. He was stopped one afternoon for a defective tail light. His girlfriend and her 4 year old daughter were in the car with him. I believe they said the whole incident took 74 seconds.

Castile had a handgun in his pocket and a permit to carry. Obtaining a permit in Minnesota requires class time. His instructor said he tells all his classes to tell officers they have a permit and are carrying before producing the weapon. There is some confusion about where the gun was at the time Castile was shot and whether the officer followed proper procedure and told Castille to put his hands on or in the steering wheel.

It was reported that Castile's pockets were deep and he may not have been able to pull the weapon. Castile's girlfriend said he was reaching for his id's.

Two officers were at the scene. One officer fired 7 shots into the car, killing Philando Castile. All an officer needs to say in Minnesota to protect himself is, "I feared for my life."

During the year between the incident and the verdict, local media first focused on the number of traffic tickets Castile had. Later news stories said he had improperly obtained the permit to carry because he was a marijuana user.

As a side note, when the first protests started last summer, a couple rednecks went out with their own guns to "kill some N....rs." They have since been tried and sentenced to prison. Philandro Castillo is still dead.

I hope I got the facts straight. One thing I know is that having a hand gun often gets you into more trouble than it gets you out of.

Hillary Clinton didn't invent racism but she was certainly willing to ride the wave all in the service of "centrism". Her thoughts are crystal clear and not out of line for a goldwater girl. Perhaps if she was a bit more reflective about her actions, we would all be better off. Time to ditch the old democratic talking points. The party elite have absolutely no interest in you unless of course you are a billionaire. Time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Patronizing. I hardly made any broad defense of Clinton, but the single minded Hillary Hate just gets tiresome and pointless. So, Bernies vote for the Crime Bill? No thoughts?

The gun was found deep in his pocket by the paramedics. The second officer said he never saw a gun. He is not the first young Black man shot because he tried to follow an officers request for his license. If he had refused to do so and just kept his hands on the wheel? Given the agitated state of the officer the result might well have been the same.

You can't go wrong with Carlin's philosophy. Another name for it is, the TRUTH!

An excellent analysis by Andreas. Yes racism thrives in the US criminal justice system, like fleas on dogs.

But the proposal to arrive at some rational standard to prevent this, is long overdue.

This is clearly an example of a compromised jury. It did not know right from wrong, moral compass spinning.

Prohibition is law enforcement welfare.

That a number of these retarded narcissists need a 'come to Jebus moment' where they either apologize for their arrogance, or lose their flokking heads!

Watching Americas War On Drugs on TV I saw a great quote from then president Nixon that needs to be resurrected. For there is nothing that has more strength in an argument than using th enemies own words against them. For the BLM folks this should be a rallying slogan:

"For the people to have respect for police, the police need to be worthy of respect."

I would add: there is NOTHING human nor respectable about shooting unarmed black people because you were scared by the color of their skin!

Every human should be expected to make mistakes. To keep repeating them like HRC, and you, reveals nefarious intentions, or ill will, or mental deficiency.

Bernie voted for it, as his caucus wanted. But rest assured it was HRC who made sure Billy Boy signed it into law. I assign more culpability to both of them than Senator Sanders.

The officer was informed of the firearm by the decedent, and from the video it appeared as though he was reaching toward the glove box, not deep into his pocket!

Either way, your comments read like you support the officers actions, and that puts you at odds with most others who saw the video. SAD.

Your reference to Hillary Clinton is perfectly clear and resonating. Bernie's thoughts have also been crystal clear for a very long time, as in decades. I realize it is uncomfortable to deal with this reality but it is time to stop playing the dupe. The democratic establishment doesn't cares and we all know it. I would suggest you read Matt Tiabbi's (?) work in Rolling Stone, as he lays out why the democratic party is so dysfunctional. It's not rocket science and it is plain as day.