Home | About | Donate

Protests Force Starbucks to Ditch ADL From Leading Anti-Racism Training

Protests Force Starbucks to Ditch ADL From Leading Anti-Racism Training

Marjorie Cohn

After a video of the arrest of two African-American men sitting in Starbucks without buying anything went viral, Starbucks scheduled anti-racism training. But their inclusion of the Anti-Defamation League in the training provoked another outcry and Starbucks capitulated.

On April 12, Rashon Nelson and Donte Robinson were arrested for trespassing at a Philadelphia Starbucks. A manager called the police because the men, who had been in the coffee shop for just a few minutes, hadn’t bought anything.

For far too long the simple (informed & accurate or uninformed & inaccurate) cry of “anti-Semitism” has been used and largely accepted as a thought-stopping trump card in myriad situations. I am glad to see the ADL called to the carpet by such a visible entity as Starbucks. The ADL’s contributions to message controlling have not served the cause of peace particularly well.

We have entered an era where the victim route to power, which has begun to shed the colonizing identity of victim [under a power] in favor of Affirmative, Articulate and Allied makes for a new AAA to travel highway and byways to JUSTICE and PEACE, which holds as essential the mutual aid on principles that are shared and beneficial to balance and sustainable health for all.

The above applies to any corporate body that holds and exercises as premise the well being, the good living and life of ALL. The days of flacid, drippy rhetoric are being called to the mat and challenged. THIS is the good fight!

Starbucks didn’t call them (ADL) out, they invited them in. Civil rights activists called them out, and Starbucks unfortunately still allowed them to have a minor roll.
My original assessment of Starbucks still stands, boycott.

I think we all know where Starbucks really stands.

Starbucks is on the Israel BDS list. It’s no wonder ADL was invited in, and, as you say, this is another good reason to boycott them.

Thank you for the heads up !
Inspired me to check the full list

You are welcome. I don’t see Starbucks on the list you provided, but here is another one:
http://www.inminds.com/boycott-brands.html

Didn’t know that, thanks.

At the very inception I despised Starbucks due to the pretentious attitude.