Home | About | Donate

Pursuing Right, No Matter What: The Tragedy of Erica Garner and Too Many More

Pursuing Right, No Matter What: The Tragedy of Erica Garner and Too Many More

The death of activist and warrior Erica Garner is devastating: She left behind a four-month-old son and a shattered family, and she never stopped fighting for justice for her father and other victims of police abuse. She also now joins the appalling ranks of black women who - unheard, misdiagnosed, "weathered" by a lifetime of racism - are 243% more likely to die unnecessarily from pregnancy-or-childbirth-related causes. "She was good," said a grieving relative. "No one gave her justice."

America’s karmic deficit is staggering to contemplate.

We need to fill Congress and the Presidency with “Erica Garners”.

Why do people call peace workers warriors?

The journey of a thousand miles starts from where your feet are
Lao Tzu

The above quote is frequently translated as " … starts with the first step". This alternative was presented to me once and I have never forgotten it. Makes me appreciate the scope of Chinese/Asian characters and the subtle breadth of meaning.
Either way, to tune in, turn on (in the healthiest way possible) and drop out from the karmic to journey in (as opposed to ‘to’) the just and loving - makes all the difference in the world.

May the blessings of Erica Garner’s heart know no limits.

I know this is so painful, but I must recommend Matt Taibi’s recent book, I Can’t Breathe: A Killing on Bay Street.__
We’ll miss you, Erica.

In the wake of Erica’s courageous love we hear the appalling statistic that Black women are 243% more likely to die of pregnancy or childbirth related causes than whites and that sears the heart. Every breath we DO take should be dedicated to exposing and healing this vile injustice.

It is not only childbirth and later complications. I believe the harassment, exclusion and the profound injustices not only “weather” a person but also can effect the physical health of women/men of color both at the time and as they age. Erica Garner is a tragic example of this.

I cannot fathom the depth of her suffering but she has my heartfelt gratitude for her tireless work and courage of spirit.