Home | About | Donate

Putin: Chaos of Iraq and Libya Warn Against Western Regime Change in Syria

Putin: Chaos of Iraq and Libya Warn Against Western Regime Change in Syria

Jon Queally, staff writer

With major speeches to be delivered by both U.S. President Barack Obama and Russian President Vladimir Putin before the United Nations General Assembly on Monday, all eyes are on the two leaders as the content of their remarks—and an expected face-to-face meeting—could have deep implications for the ongoing civil war in Syria and the wider military campaign against the Islamic State (ISIS) that continues across the Middle East region.

Thank you JonnyJames for your astute comment. Please keep blogging on the net. Your ideas need to be spread.
US war crimes are legion and we were forced to pay for it and watch it. The stomach turns and the heart breaks to see what we have wrought.

Another good example of why Sy Hersh holds so much animus toward Andrea Mitchell: Andrea, in speaking of Vladimir Putin, holds him "primarily responsible" for the war in The Ukraine. Does she then support this bizarre view with evidence? Of course not. Does she mention the names Victoria or Samantha. Or that of Robert Parry, the actual journalist? Of course not.

She is far too lead-brained and inflexible for that.

Similarly, President Obama is now taking his turn before the United Nations. In the section on The Ukraine he did not mention the three names cited here either. I believe this view toward the Ukraine and what has happened there is emblematic of what is wrong with our international outlook in general. We seem to love demonization and "regime change" above all.

Putin is by far the best world leader we have at this time. Check out the linked video. And welcome to the United Fascist States of America.

Thank you, madashellron, for this expansion of viewpoint.

What is being left out is how Putin has been very clever in putting (pardon the pun ) Obama and the American empire between a rock and a hard place in Syria.

Putin knows that the so called ISIS terrorists in Syria, are false enemies and are really surreptitiously being used by the Amerikan empire as a back door way of removing al-Assad.

So what Putin has told Obama, let us help to take out these terrorists as they could overthrow the Assad regime. And Obama has no choice. Either admit ISIS is fighting a proxy war for the US or let the Russians help.

Thanks. Welcome to the Amerikan Fourth Reich! This video just corroborates what I have been saying for a long time. Lets hope the American people of the Fourth Reich wake up before it is too late and not end up like the Third Reich!

Ah, how time passes... three years ago the rebellion against Assad was "The Arab Spring", the wind of change everybody tripping over themselves to praise them.

Memo to any potential freedom fighters: better win and win fast otherwise you'll be be branded "terror mercenary death-squads" and pawns of the West.

Isn't that Alexandr Blok?

Especially those created, trained and armed by the West in order to overthrow governments to make way for profiteering.

I agree but think that elements within ISIS are acting independently or playing a double game emboldened after having taken over larger chunks of Iraq and Syria. The US tries to bomb the ISIS that is not aligned with it's terrorists strategy of regime change.

Funny how the west's game plan unravels when faced with sustained resistance, in the case of Syria 3 years and in Ukraine just one.

I'm all for bashing the American Empire, but taking it to an extreme and claiming America has no culture (or at least no culture that is worthwhile) is asinine. Romans were shitbags too, but we still treasure Virgil, Cicero and Tacitus, among many others.

My own English translation of the first half of Obama's United Nations speech:-

"After I took office, I made clear that one of the principal achievements of this body -- the nuclear non-proliferation regime -- was endangered by Iran’s violation of the NPT."
Translation: I told whopping great lies about a non-existent threat from Iran.

"Consider Russia’s annexation of Crimea and further aggression in eastern Ukraine."
Translation: Again, lies and complete silence about US agression.

"Imagine if, instead, Russia had engaged in true diplomacy, and worked with Ukraine and the international community to ensure its interests were protected."
Translation: Imagine Russia had simply allowed the USA to thrust a dagger into is heart.

"We will continue to stand up for human rights."
Translation: We will continue to be the world's biggest human rights abuser.

"That path is now available to a nation like Iran, which, as of this moment, continues to deploy violent proxies to advance its interests."
Translation: Iran has overthrown its US appointed dictator (the Shah) and has not yet permitted us to impose another.

"Around the globe, we will continue to be confronted with nations who reject these lessons of history"
Translation: Around the globe, we will continue to invade and overthrow governments who do not do exactly as we dictate.

"In such efforts, the United States will always do our part."
Translation: Around the globe, we will continue to invade and overthrow governments who do not do exactly as we dictate.

"not just the lessons of Iraq, but also the example of Libya, where we joined an international coalition under a U.N. mandate to prevent a slaughter"
Translation: In the example of Libya, that had oil wealth being used for the benefit of its citizens, we use the lie of humanitarian aid to train, organise, and arm a rebellion, which we supported by bombing Libya for seven months until it collapsed, leaving chaos slaughter, and never ending strife.

"Nowhere is our commitment to international order more tested than in Syria. When a dictator slaughters tens of thousands of his own people"
Translation: When we train, and arm terrorists, creating a civil war, if this does not succeed immediately, we will create false flags and other propaganda in order to justify the invasion that we want.

"Likewise, when a terrorist group beheads captives, slaughters the
innocent and enslaves women, that’s not a single nation’s national
security problem -- that is an assault on all humanity."
Translation: When we arm and train an army of terrorists, we will use the resulting
slaughter to justify much much more of our own.

"There is no room for accommodating an apocalyptic cult like ISIL, and the United States makes no apologies for using our military, as part of a broad coalition, to go after them."
Translation: When we arm and train an army of terrorists, we will use the resulting slaughter to justify much much more of our own.

"Let’s remember how this started. Assad reacted to peaceful protests by escalating repression and killing that, in turn, created the environment for the current strife."
Translation: Our client regimes, like Saudi Arabia and Israel can behave badly, and we will say diddly squat, but not regimes that have not surrendered to the economic interests that control the government of the USA.

"We know that ISIL -- which emerged out of the chaos of Iraq and Syria -- depends on perpetual war to survive."
Translation: We know that ISIL -- which we armed and trained in Syria, have benefited from the chaos that we caused because our rich depend on perpetual war to in order to get even richer.

This work will take time. There are no easy answers to Syria.
Translation: Russia has made our latest regime change project difficult.

"The plight of the powerless, the plight of refugees, the plight of the marginalized did not matter. They were on the periphery of the world’s concerns. Today, our concern for them is driven not just by conscience."
Translation: We didn't give shit about the consequences of our actions to others. We did it out of pure greed.

(As for the use of pronouns, Obama uses them. I copied them. "we" and "our" in this case refer to the US government and those who control it.)
Would anyone by up to creating a subtitled version of Obama's speech?

Probably true, but the bottom line is ISIS is a terrorist organization funded by NATO. They are really a proxy army designed to do what the US and Israel wants; namely, to take out Syria's leader who is no angel, but al-Assad is not our thug... and that is the problem!

You might have point there. I bet Syrians love Bashar Assad and living under a state of emergency since well almost forever. They even voted him twice into office with 90%+ of the vote. They loved him so much nobody even ran against him.

Surely those misguided souls in 2011 during what was then called the Arab Spring were reactionary forces under the control of the Great Satan (ok, maybe them being secular they don't call it that way)

I think any survivors would certainly be whimpering, though not for long.

Don't forget Rock and Roll, jazz, and the Blues...:wink:

I'm so happy that the rest of the world has an intimate knowledge of a country they don't live in.

That was sarcasm.

Great quote-so much better than Gore Vidal's- which is just a shallow piece of snark.