Home | About | Donate

Putting 'Its Money Where Its Brains Are,' Cambridge Announces Historic Fossil Fuel Divestment of £3.5 Billion Endowment

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/01/putting-its-money-where-its-brains-are-cambridge-announces-historic-fossil-fuel

2 Likes

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies but not the madness of people.

• Isaac Newton

The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognise that we ought to control our thoughts.

• Charles Darwin

“Imagine all the people living life in peace” “you may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one, I hope some day you will join us, and the world will be as one.” Peace

By 2030. Oh great. They can keep investing in fossil fuels for the next ten years. That’ll turn out well. Somebody needs to tell them this is an emergency.

2 Likes

Will Cambridge also stop using fossil fuels (including commuting and electricity)?

It’s so juvenile to think you can continue use fuel but attack the companies that produce it.

This is just another collection of silly academics engaging in public displays of virtue. They could be learning about the real world instead.

Be interesting to know if/how the various colleges of the university are following suit. Some of them (Trinity, Kings) have endowments that dwarf that of the university itself.