Home | About | Donate

Putting Solar Panels in Pipeline's Path, Campaign to Combine Power of Sun 'With Power of the People'

Putting Solar Panels in Pipeline's Path, Campaign to Combine Power of Sun 'With Power of the People'

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

An Indigenous-led coalition is fundraising to install solar panels along the route of TransCanada's Keystone XL pipeline to protest the project and provide renewable energy to family farms and Native communities in Nebraska and South Dakota.

We have had the option eliminate oil as a it never been from fossils that absurd.What life existed down thirty thousand feet wake up all lies and they making mega fortunes they using building yewp get this spacecraft preparing adventures like back 1492 space exploration and mineral wealth undreamt but none planned for we the people. Want to know the intent in stone google Georgia guidestones they always telegraph as they did 9/11.Direct taking you their posted well before crime spree they unleashed doing 9/11 enter pnac and read it."require a new pearl harbor event as FDR did that to get US involved second world war.Media you never had a media worth a crap especially not this rag or free speech or any other.

The entire fracking industry is centrally planned deficit spending crapola that can’t pay its bills without taxpayer help.

Tar sands? Prime minister clueless bailed that out at public expense.

What kind of economic system is this?

Can’t think of a more worthy cause to support. I raise my fist in solidarity with the First Nations and all Earth Defenders!

Good thing that the pipeline doesn’t run through Florida seeing how photovoltaic panels are illegal there.

Great tactic!!!

Solidarity!!!

Not exactly illegal, but Florida Power and Light has made sure laws make the use of solar power for individuals, apartments and small businesses really, really expensive and complex. In the “free market” a straight line is NOT the shortest distance between two points.

Keystone XL is a crude oil pipeline, so how do solar panels provide incentive against the project? Solar and oil produce different products for different markets- they don’t directly compete with one another.

The fossil fuel industry’s days are numbered and they know it. They’re trying to squeeze as much money as they can from the system, which is rigged in their favor, before they become as obsolete as horseshoes after cars caught on. Unfortunately they’ll rape the environment as much as possible on their way out. Probably wreck the economy more too. Keep those solar panels coming. Thanks for doing it.

I Love this project and just donated. The native people’s fight against fossil fuel continually produces the best organizing tactics we’ve see displayed on the site.

Except that this action has no effect on the Keystone XL pipeline.

1. The pipeline is transporting crude oil, which is not used for electricity but rather for fuel, petrochemical feedstock and other goods. Whereas solar provides ONLY electricity.

2. The Keystone XL pipeline is not provide the nearby community with this crude oil. The purpose of the pipeline is to transport crude from Alberta Canada to Houston Texas for refining. You don’t use crude oil for fuel before you refine it, so there is no scenario where any of this product is entering the Native American market. You cannot compete against a product that doesn’t exist in your market.

So maybe the locals are no longer buying diesel to run their communities, but this loss of sale for the petroleum industry is statistically worthless compared to the overall profit they make in the sale of crude for the massive international market.

Your criticism doesn’t make much sense. The people organizing this are making a statement against fossil fuels generally - not just against the Keystone XL pipeline. They certainly aren’t pretending to be replacing a large part of the nation’s energy needs.

Thanks for reminding me about this though - you’ve convinced me to give another $50.

The article literally states;

“An Indigenous-led coalition is fundraising to install solar panels along the route of TransCanada’s Keystone XL pipeline to protest the project and provide renewable energy to family farms and Native communities in Nebraska and South Dakota”

“We will not only build renewable energy in America’s breadbasket, on Indigenous lands for Indigenous people, demonstrating the goals of a just transition towards sustainable energy, but we will build it in the face of the Keystone XL pipeline.”

I believe that these Native Americans were in fact organizing specifically against the Keystone XL pipeline. Furthermore, even if they weren’t talking about just the Keystone XL my point applies to ALL petroleum projects in the USA. The fact remains that the USA does not use oil for electricity, which is the sole purpose of solar development. The US grid could be 100% solar and it would have zero effect on the petroleum industry (in fact it may even increase it as you would probably require diesel generators for backup storage).

If you want to create competition for oil then you have to support projects that transition the transportation industry and petrochemical industry not the electricity industry.

Again - they are protesting KXL, they are against the use of fossil fuel generally, and they are providing solar energy to family farms and Native communities.

I don’t get your obsession with having the energy generated directly replace something running through the pipeline. The tactic provides publicity for their causes and the fact that the energy produced replaces coal rather than oil doesn’t bother me one bit.

Explain to me how attacking an OIL pipeline provides ammunition against natural gas and coal? Their current cause to fight against the pipeline, but using solar has no effect on the pipeline.

If you want to attack the pipeline then attack the oil industry in areas where they are actually impacted. For example, they could advocate for America’s breadbasket to stop using fertilizer with ammonia. Naphtha, a petrochemical from refined crude, is major component for ammonia production.

Actually their protests have been highly effective against the pipeline - the water protector protestors against DAPL were clearly the reason that it was temporarily stopped at the end of the Obama administration. They have also been effective in the overall fight against fossil fuels by inspiring others to join the effort. You forget that besides the native people’s opposition, another strand of protest against the pipeline were the family farms (normally a very conservative group) who were being displaced through eminent domain. Thus, this action directly helps to build the coalition of these two groupings aligned against the pipeline and that again has an effect on it.