Home | About | Donate

Quarantined: On Penguins, Memes and Non-Social-Distancing Cats

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/further/2020/03/17/quarantined-penguins-memes-and-non-social-distancing-cats

2 Likes

This is a tough time and we in HK have been doing the shut in for weeks before now. I immerse myself, vicariously, everyday in a fabulous insight into what the real world still has to offer by watching live safari drives and bush walks, 2x day, 7 days a week on WildEarth dot tv which does this at no charge to anyone ono YouTube, although some do give them financial support. How long can they continue? I don’t know but I’ll be there as long as they are. Join me. Seeing nature like this is the best medicine for the human species’ narcissism and may it help you keep sane during coronavirus days.

4 Likes

Thank you, Abby!

2 Likes

“Lay down Betty
And see what tomorrow brings
Lay down Betty
And see what tomorrow brings
May bring sunshine
May bring a diamond ring.”
–Betty and Dupree, trad.

2 Likes

This really FEELS like being quarantined, although, being retired it’s pretty much like any other day, so no real complaints. Snowed yesterday and had a very distinguished guest, had a wild horse in our yard, again, munching on whatever was green. There has been a few bachelor Stallions in the area recently, totally awesome having them around. PS, live in No. western Nevada, there are quite a few in our general vicinity.

5 Likes

There was an interesting interview with a First Nations person here in Canada. He lives in the wilderness, hunts fishes and gathers as his ancestors did. He suggested that the concrete cities we now live in are petri dishes for disease and that the way he gets his food and sustenance is likely healthier.

I just could not but note the irony. The First nations populations wiped out in part by disease when the Europeans arrived and now the descendants of those Europeans locking themselves away in their castles to stay safe from disease.

6 Likes

Well humans might be miserable staying home, but the photos show their pets sure are enjoying it.

5 Likes

Black cat around the computer…that’s my Cory! He would frequently delete things that I had spent quite a bit of time getting together and hadn’t had time to hit “save”. Cats and computers…now to watch the episode of House MD, titled Here Kitty, about a cat and a computer…Season 5.

4 Likes

I’ve seen the pictures/videos of the Venetian canals, running clearer than they have in years, the air pollution going away…I’m hoping this crisis causes folks to think about the other crisis looming over our heads, teaches them they don’t need all the stuff.

2 Likes

Hi 4thefuture:
Does anyone know if apes can get the virus too? I worry about the ones in the zoo. : (

1 Like

I am sad from this stay at home!