Home | About | Donate

Rachel Corrie's Family Denied Justice From Israel's Top Court... Again

Rachel Corrie's Family Denied Justice From Israel's Top Court... Again

Sarah Lazare, staff writer

The family of Rachel Corrie—the 23-year-old U.S. activist crushed to death by an Israeli military bulldozer while nonviolently protesting a home demolition in Palestine 12 years ago—was denied justice by Israel's top court on Thursday.

The rejection is the latest stage in the family's decade-long legal battle to hold Israel liable for Corrie's death, on charges that the military either killed her deliberately or was negligent.

"Our family is disappointed but not surprised,"

"Disappointed but not surprised" could be the motto for all groups seeking peace and justice in Palestine.

mcp

There should be a picture of Rachel Corrie by the definition of a Hero.

More evidence as to the similarity between the USA and Israel.

It must be very painful for the Corrie Family to observe that Kaley Mueller, the hostage who was recently killed, is being made into a saint while Rachel, who was doing something at least as courageous, was dismissed and ignored by the media. I guess Rachel was not as easily made into a propaganda tool for the war industries. My heart goes out to the Corries.

As long as the US feels obliged to back Israel there will be no justice for the murder of Rachelle Corrie, the Palestinians, the flotilla marmara activists assassinated by the Israeli commandos or the 140 US navy servicemen killed by Israeli air-force.

There are classes of people, like Palestinians and people protesting Israel's policies, that the IDF can kill with impunity - just as U.S. cops routinely get away with killing those who aren't rich and white.

Even the UN is in the Israel FIRST bag. Unbelievable what this world has become. Sociopaths run this planet.

When the monkeys with silly wigs act as expected, perhaps its time to employ a more trusted and effective means.

More crime is committed by those in authority than ever by those under it.

Make no mistake this has the Imprimatur of Imperial Americana

yes the judge is right. corrie went all the way to israel to put herself in danger and because she was so determined to maximize that danger she let a bulldozer run her over. there must have been no other reason!! the israeli courts must be learning from the u.s. courts or vice versa, but mostly vice. and feloniously criminal!!!

This is very sad, but have you ever been by a construction site, it is restricted, you are no allowed, you cannot hear yourself think. Buldozers and other heavy equipment always have a 2nd person on the site, communicating and covering for the driver because he cannot see or hear anything from his seat. Have you ever watched how easy it is to move the controls and gears on one of those engines. This is called a nomans land for that reason.

The fact that Rachel Corrie's family was again denied justice for their daughter's wrongful death is, indeed, sad, but not surprising. Since Israel does bear the most responsibility for Ms. Corrie's tragic, untimely and brutal death, the State of Israel should take the responsibility and recompense Rachel Corrie's family for the damages. Israel is wrong to whitewash the late Ms. Corrie's brutal death and to evade any kind of responsibility for it.

Yet, at the same time, I believe that there's plenty of responsibility for Rachel Corrie's death to go around.

Israel bears the most responsibility for their continued policies of occupation in West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem, which were designated for the Palestinians during the 1947-1948 UN partition and mandate.

The United States, and the West, generally, also bear a great deal of responsibility of Rachel Corrie's death by not putting enough pressure on Israel to end her occupation, settlement-building, housing demolition, and the humiliating and brutal treatment/killing and injuring of innocent Palestinian civilians (i. e. men, women and children.)

Here's is another opinion that many of you will undoubtedly disagree with, but I'll say it out anyway:
The leadership of the ISM (International Solidarity Movement) also bears a certain amount of responsibility, due to certain tactical mistakes that it made: One major mistake on the part of the ISM's leadership was not altering their tactics after several ISM members, including the late Ms. Corrie herself, had encountered close calls while standing between houses and Israeli army-operated bulldozers. First, Rachel Corrie and her colleagues/friends in the ISM received only two days of the most basic training before embarking into the Israeli-Occupied Territories. Secondly, by allowing the late Ms. Corrie and her colleagues to stand/supplant themselves singlely between Israeli-operated bulldozers and the Palestinian families' houses that were slated for demolition, in order to prevent that, the ISM inadvertently put their members in even worse danger. What the ISM should've done instead was to operate in a much larger arena; To stand between bulldozers and houses slated for demolition in much larger groups, hence offering greater safety in numbers, and therefore, greater protection, thus making the possibility of Israeli-operated bulldozers running anybody over much more difficult, if not impossible.

Just as U. S. Cops can routinely get away with killing those who aren't rich and white."

It's agreed that the death of Rachel Corrie was inexcusable, needless and preventable. Yet, at the same time, there are not only Palestinians, but Israeli Jews themselves, both of who, along with other people throughout the world, including the United States, also protest the Israeli Government's occupational policies in West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem.

Here's another thing I'll add, however, regarding U. S. cops: While it's true that many cops are far too trigger-happy in poor and non-white communities in the United States, not all whites are rich, either. Whites who are on the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum are also at risk for police brutality here in this country.

If by preventable you are referring to your idea that more protesters would have been safer and thus the group organizing the protests bears responsibility, I disagree with your assessment. I suspect the group does the best it can with the volunteers it has. Your proposal would severely limit the number of protective activities they engage in.

As for the decent Israeli Jews who oppose their government's policies, bless them. It's nice to know there are still pockets of sanity amidst the crazed masses.

Until I saw what happened in the U.S. after 9/11, saw how politicians amped up the fear and anger to inflame the citizens until they were ready to attack anybody, anywhere in the name of vengeance, I had no real conceptual grasp of how Israelis could support the oppression of Palestinians.

Fear make people crazy and there are always those who will encourage and take advantage of that fear to increase their own power.

This:

"Your proposal would severely limit the number of protective activities they engage in."

is something that I disagree with, ctrl_z. Letting people, including Rachel Corrie, stand singlely between bulldozers and Palestinian families' homes that the Israeli army slated for demolition, is really not a smart idea, at all. I'm not denying or doubting the intentions of the ISM, which were of the best, nor am I trying to absolve the State of Israel and the Israeli military of responsibility for (the late) Ms. Corrie's untimely and tragic death, but I feel that the close calls that were experienced by several ISM members while they were standing singlely between bulldozers and Palestinians' houses should've been taken as a warning for the ISM to alter their tactics somewhat. Operating in a larger arena by having a much larger group standing in front of bulldozers might very well have helped saved Rachel Corrie from her death.

Having said all of the above, I don't approve of Israel's occupational policies in West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem any more than you do, or what our government has wrought throughout the world, any more than you do, either. I do, however, question the wisdom of sending unarmed, not very well-trained/experienced people into such dangerous, unstable parts of the world (such as the Middle East), and putting them directly in harm's way, however.