Home | About | Donate

Racial Wedge Politics Invented In Colonial America

Racial Wedge Politics Invented In Colonial America

Gary Olson

There is only one minority that is dangerous to most Americans. And that is the wealthy, privileged elite that rules over everyone else.

Black and brown Americans have known this truth for a long time; others have have only recently had these conditions thrust on them. Yes, the pain and suffering of the white working class is real, but so far the diagnosis has focused on symptoms and not the actual cause.

I have read about this several times. It makes sense. My question is whether you believe that people who identify as “white” in this country should be encouraged to stop doing that, given this history. I am not one of them as I am of no “race” other than human. But I often feel I would like particularly progressives who call themselves “white” and me “non-white” to know how absurd and offensive that sounds.

And before that, Native Americans and White colonizers lived together and married as well. That was shaped by the matriarchal tribes and for good reasons. Never mentioned in articles like this and deficient in historical accuracy. The first discrimination or racism resulted in banishment of whites that married Native Americans (and to some extent also by Native Americans but with different outcomes) and resulted in large parts of the south prevalence of inbreeding within banished groups.

I didn’t like this article at all.

“… there was no “white race” in our country until the idea was invented by some white plantation owners in Virginia around 1676.”

… Thanks professor. I’ve recently become fascinated with early American history, to try and see for myself just exactly how much of those early years were truly influenced by early Enlightenment and Renaissance thinkers with high minded and egalitarian aspirations, and how much was actually a more realistic and likely exercise in self interest by an already established and entrenched mercantile elite. I’ve picked up a few dozen books over the past year or so, and continue to add more from various authors like, Beard, Taylor, Hogeland, Maier, Hofstadter, Hollinger/Capper, Wiencek, Holton, Tise, Morgan, Raphael, Clark-Smith, and of course, Zinn, Wasserman, and even Toequeville.

… The racial element which you describe (or lack there-of in those early years) were never my primary focus in the beginning. They just started to gradually reveal themselves of their own accord as I slowly began to peel back the layers with my own inquiries. It began to prove itself to be a very enlightening revelation in its own right, without even setting my initial sights on its discovery…

… I work with a lot of teachers in the public sector and it is quite the paradox indeed to bear witness to the fact that although our current educator pool is far and away the truly last bastion of informed and enlightened ‘union employees’ in the American work force in the year 2017 -they are all in seeming lock-step with an historical American narrative that is no more true to the actual historical record than a feel good Disney narrative, or movie. “In fourteen hundred and ninety two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue…”

… I just recently purchased Nancy Isenberg’s book; “White Trash. The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America (I already had her book on Aaron Burr).” I am sure I am only going to find more evidence to match your own essay. Thanks again professor. When it comes to instruction on American history -most of our American student body seems to sadly still be stuck in First Grade Primers…