Home | About | Donate

'Racist, Classist Garbage': Trump Brags to Suburbia About His Repeal of Housing Desegregation Rule

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/07/29/racist-classist-garbage-trump-brags-suburbia-about-his-repeal-housing-desegregation

8 Likes

It was not so much racist as classist. He equated poverty (low income housing) with higher crime rates. But isn’t that what AOC did as well last week where she argued that record unemployment and economic woes caused by COVID are fueling an increase in violent crime in New York. In fact it was that comment which earned her an insult from Yoho. And it is a theory which the WH rejected at the time but is making here basically but without a trace of irony.

“I do think that even when you talk about violent crime, I don’t think that poverty and economic desperation are separate from that either,” Ocasio-Cortez said during a campaign-sponsored food distribution event for the needy event outside Our Lady of Sorrows Church in Corona, Queens.

“When people do not have opportunities, I can tell you from my personal experience and what I saw growing up. When families don’t have money, a lot of times young people and teens that feel like they need to support their mom, sometimes they’ll turn to selling drugs, which can then lead to an escalated level of trouble, to what police label as gang activity,” the Bronx native said.

“So the idea that violent crime is somehow immune, or totally separated, from the economic situation that people are going through right now, I think that’s mistaken. It’s true. The desperation, even if we’re not talking about petty theft, there is a ladder that escalates into violent crime that is very much connected to the economic situation of a given community.”

And i think there is truth in that. Lack of opportunity, lack of hope, feeling that no matter what you do you just cant escape the rat race - bad, underfunded schools, no way out - of course that creates more opportunity for crime. And of course once that happens, you are forever caught in this self propelling cycle of crime and punishment and more crime and more punishment, recycling through prisons and the criminal justice system, a pariah in society, owing court fees that if you don’t pay force you to go back to prison with even more court fees added etc.

The solution clearly is tackling poverty and giving people hope and a system that works for them. Just creating poverty zones/enclaves and not doing anything to address the underlying causes of crime is not the answer. Of course Trump being the shitlord that he is who couldn’t care less about economic inequality. He is not thinking beyond the symptom he is witnessing, which is poor neighborhoods, which low income housing is part of, so his solution is basically NIMBYism: export poverty away from the suburbs rather than address it.

People may argue that putting low income housing in affluent suburbs will make the people moving there wealthy but how if you still have not tackled the underlying cause of the poverty and destitution? Then all those communities will do is bring the unrest and desperation and all its consequences with them because other than their geographic location, nothing has changed!! That is why it is a self perpetuating cycle!

5 Likes

Just as with integrating schools, the idea is that if well-heeled white people CAN’T escape the costs they shove off onto the poor, they will be forced to do something about bad schools, poverty, etc. Poor children can be left constantly hungry, but if they’re in the schools next to the soccer moms’ kids, she can’t ignore them.

2 Likes

Well Trump is following up on his family history. He and his father were sued by the EOC for housing discrimination. Their lawyer the uber sleazy Roy Cohn told them to just stonewall the case. That didn’t work out to well when former employees testified about the coding system on rental applications which indicated and thus discriminated against the applicant’s color/ethnicity. They lost and had to comply.

So here he is back at it again. If you delve into Trump’s history the present is all there in the making. If you watch The Apprentice once you can see he is a sadist and with astute observation a con man.

6 Likes

Interesting approach, but I don’t think five-alarm racism will get Trump elected to a second term.

Right. And I get that. But such a strategy clearly hasn’t worked to lift people out of poverty and systemically address the issue of class struggle. It’s resulted in some localized, often cosmetic changes like charity in lieu of actual real economic empowerment. The structures and mechanisms that keep people in poverty and a cycle of crime have not changed and such forced developments will only create resentment, result in gated communities and just more police presence to keep one side in check and we are back at square one where nothing is changing. Once again the solution is addressing a symptom rather than cause.

For the record I am not suggesting that all poor people commit crimes. Of course not. The point is that you are more likely to see crime and unrest when opportunities are lacking and structures are falling apart and people see that legal avenues to success are closed to them due to systemic inequities, from underfunded schools or increased police presence in their neighborhoods and parents that don’t bring enough money home etc.

2 Likes

I think the Portland moms are showing us that the ghost of Casey Kasem will pronounce Donny and the Delusionals to be a one-hit wonder come November 4, 2020.

5 Likes

Trump’s very foolish actions will simply push the US into a race war. It’s coming and his actions are the reason why.

3 Likes

Cool, and so we should all vote for Joe Biden, who got his start in politics defending racial segregation, and mid-career was instrumental in writing and passing the Clinton-era Crime Bill, ramping up racist mass incarceration. What a great election season we’re having!

6 Likes

Unless there are no restrictions on fair housing laws we will be prolonging the racist, segregationist policies which will continue to result in blacks and whites not mingling like whites and whites or blacks and blacks do. The reality is that we have a large number of all ethnicity in America whom are relatively kept separated by the white dominated system and culture. These separations have been contributing to tensions among races and ethnicity. I know it will be difficult to cope with at first to be neighbors with some uneducated Latin American or Laotian refugee families with weird habits. But given time and opportunities in jobs and education, they’ll learn the intricacies of the community, respect for the city ordinances and respect for their neighborhood sensitivities.

2 Likes

M apprenticeship lasted many months in a carpentry career that lasted 12 years. I couldn’t watch the Apprentice knowing its point was to give applicants some absurd task and fire them one by one for entertainment. The show was disgusting, not unlike many television shows that make fools of contestants and more broadly the American viewers who found it entertaining.

2 Likes

Year ago a local slumlord was sentenced to live in his apartment slums and he came out of it a changed man.

The only thing that could make him worse is if he chooses Harris as his running mate. She didn’t charge Mnuchin with racist housing policies while she was AG of California.

1 Like

Well, the NAZIS are back, and in spades. If ever there was an incentive to make sure trumpty dumpty gets kicked out in November, this is it. Your next administration then needs to tell OUR nazi, bojo the bozo, that there will be NO trade deal unless he resigns and calls an election as he CANNOT be tusted either.

1 Like

Suburbia is racist and classist. It’s why the suburbs exist. Starting in the1950’s white people began moving away from the cities for one reason, to get away from the poor (uppity) Black people.
You see, in the post WWII era, black Americans were rising into the middle class at a rapid rate. Not at the pace of white people of course, but they were building their own neighborhoods and businesses (as they were being herded into their own areas because of the racism of red lining) and beginning to do quite well (here in Pittsburgh there was a vibrant middle class black community in the 50’s and early 60’s). But at that moment in American history, something happened. Blacks, who were beginning to get a bigger piece of the pie, decided they no longer wanted to be treated as second class citizens. The civil rights era was born, and white people became nervous and angry. However, instead of dealing with it the old Jim Crow way (beatings, lynchings, etc) they created James Crow esq. and began buying cars and leaving cities in droves. They built their homogenized neighborhoods and kept property taxes high, basically putting a wall around the suburbs that couldn’t be penetrated by any “lower” class people. The whites took their businesses with them, and impoverished the inner cities. And then, in the wake of the civil rights and voting acts being signed into law in 1965, the Democratic Party was abandoned by the Dixiecrats, and in turn, the rest of the party abandoned black America.
Let’s face it folks, the suburbs were built on a foundation of racism. When given their choice in November, America’s white suburbanites will dutifully line up and vote for republicans, as they have every election since 1966.

2 Likes

This is typical DT behavior and conduct. He’s racist and always has been. It’s in his Nazi German DNA like his father and his grandfather MSM has had 4 years to get this message and still hasn’t.

Elsewhere, some members of the BLM movement are upset that other groups (White and assorted) have co-opted their movement.in Portland. This is the same mistake black activists make over and over. The Mom’s and the Veteran’s groups are all in support of the BLM and against police violence and injustice not just to blacks but all races, and the BLM needs to get that and work with the other groups instead of protesting against the loss of their "thunder. If the veterans and moms hadn’t made that appearance, these goon squads of DTs would still be there instead of retreating and leaving Portland…DT likes this shit, this violence, it’s his TV special Reality Show, and he gets off on it. He’s the star and calling (he thinks) all the shots. He’s so stupid he doesn’t realize what a puppet he is for the real fascists behind the curtain: Barr, Pompeo, and others. The creators of The Apprentice made him POTUS. They should be so freaking proud and burn in hell for this “Klown Show”.

1 Like

I think Harris was chosen a long time ago as Biden’s running mate, after all we have to admit Kamala is corrupt enough!

3 Likes

Cue every democrat about to come out of the woodwork saying if you call her corrupt you are racist AND sexist.

1 Like

It would seem as though the Obama Legacy is becoming increasingly ephemeral.

I happen to agree with the gist of your post, that many people of all different races skimp and save to be able to afford to flee the gang and drug infested rat’s nests that the big metro areas have become to the be able to live in the suburbs where their children can live and play outside in their front yards and ride their bikes safely without fear for their lives.