Home | About | Donate

Ralph Nader Letter to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Speaker of the House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/01/01/ralph-nader-letter-senate-majority-leader-mitch-mcconnell-and-speaker-house

5 Likes

Well done Ralph, well done!

9 Likes

While I appreciate Naders effort, the bottom line is this. John Roberts was appointed to the SCOTUS not because he was the best jurist available at the time. No, John Roberts was appointed because he was, and is, a partisan political hack who has always cavorted with a rouges gallery of America’s wealthiest and most sleazy. As a member of America’s “leadership” caste, he was charged by the Koch brothers backed federalist society with two specific orders. He was to serve as the leader of the famous Brooks Brothers riot that quite literally saw the SCOTUS eventually decide who the president would be. And he would of course as Chief Justice of the SCOTUS help solidify that same right wing coup by making sure that the subsequent Bush and Obama administrations efforts to establish a fascist surveillance state was unfettered and yes, legal.
Sorry Ralph, but if you have deluded yourself into believing that John Roberts is going to somehow save the republic you can no longer be taken seriously.
John Roberts and this SCOTUS are not there at this time in American history to save the republic. They are there to aid in its orderly demise.

19 Likes

Excellent letter Ralph. Logical and impartial to be sure.

Unfortunately, the level of corruption being covered up, will never allow logic or impartiality to prevail.

Nice effort though.

16 Likes

Yeah pretty much agree. If the Senate can veto any of the Chief Justice’s decisions, then all this does is put some heat on Roberts. The trial will still be a sham. But I would never presume that Nader does not understand this.

10 Likes

Your comment is cynical but right in line with the system of government our electorate has enabled.

I too share your view.

1 Like

I totally agree with your assessment…but I can’t help but believe that Nader has something else up his sleeve. My take is that Nader wants all the nasty underbellies of this “impeachment” known to the vast public. As it is, the Senate now just wants everything to just be hidden, as to why they do not want to call in witnesses. Witnesses are recorded, for all history…with everyone listening. I think the “Senate” wants to avoid this…Nader knows that with the Supreme Court involved…John Roberts will be obligated to at least make the trial appear to be impartial…laughable I know…but…I believe that this might be what Nader is trying to achieve with this letter. Note the bottom of the letter offering his assistance with organizing the affair.

4 Likes

The elephant in the room is that the Supreme Court needs to be cut down to size so that democratic change can come to the U.S. political system.

3 Likes

And therein lies the dirty little secret of our founding fathers. They created a senate and a Supreme Court for the very purpose of preventing democracy. It has worked for nearly 250 years.
I’m afraid what I am saying is that republic does indeed need to fail, that is to say, if it’s failure leads us more quickly to an actual democracy.
However, I’m afraid the failure of this particular republic will lead to anarchy and eventually the establishment of old school fiefdoms run by all manner of warlords. We are, after all, Americans.

5 Likes

Well Americans wrote this too:

“Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.”

9 Likes

Your comment makes me think of this comment I made to to Skeptic yesterday. A climate journalist, Dave Roberts, described “climate fascism” in an interview with Vox. Basically, it’s society getting meaner and greedier as we fight over limited spoils, rather than collectively altruistic and solution oriented. There’s ample historical precedent for it, sadly, but I like that phrase.

2 Likes

The Democrats are so strange they started the charade in the house. Now they want to have their way in the senate. The Chief cannot be neutral if he takes orders or guidance from the house, he ought to be wise enough and able to decide on his own and act up to the role he is allowed. And the senate have to approach this based on what was presented. If House wanted witnesses why did they not use the proper procedure other than expecting the senate and now the Chief justice to do the work for them. With his op-eds it is hard to tell if he is not biased. Why does he like to make op-eds at sensitive times like this? The best is to wait for the elections, the chief justice may well be tainted with bias already, many elites are never Trumpers?

1 Like

I’m afraid you’re correct. We have born witness to some of the worst atrocities committed in the name of sociopolitics, religion, and empire expansion.
Just imagine how people will act when they are instead fighting for water and food? It may resemble something out of Cormac McCarthy. Or worse.

7 Likes

Nader just wants to show relevance and pretend to be fair, the man showed his true colors in shoddy and partisan hearings, so one sided and they did not bother to use procedures of court t get the witnesses they now claim they want? Strange!

1 Like

All white men want to take away the power from Nancy Pelosi and give it to a white man. Stop the misogyny now. Pelosi has done and is doing a great job.

4 Likes

Every decision made by Nancy Pelosi in her time in congress has been to further enrich her and her family.
Oh, and under her leadership the Democratic Party lost control of the White House, the senate, the House, 33 state governorships, and over 900 state house and senate seats. Those facts, along with losing the federal courts to nazis for the next generation makes her one of, if not the worst, democratic speakers ever.

11 Likes

Those were congressional hearings, not court proceedings. Those will occur in the Senate.
Thanks for proving once again that Americans really have no idea how their government works or what it says in the constitution.

3 Likes

So that is how narrowly you construe proof & jump to conclusions that a poster is American? Just like Nader and his hearings, just Trump haters, and that is all. Baloney hearings.let them wait for elections other than continuous charades to hunt for crimes to impeach Trump.

Basically, i was wondering how Moscow Mitch was getting away with being so outwardly partisan when the Chief Justice is designated to preside. I don’t care for the 50% approval of the process, but even if Roberts does decide on showing partisanship in the trial, what’s the difference from what we have today?

1 Like

That’s all we need. Ralph Nader the presidential spoiler.

1 Like