Home | About | Donate

Rapid Decline of Permafrost Throughout Arctic to Release Massive Carbon Stores

Rapid Decline of Permafrost Throughout Arctic to Release Massive Carbon Stores

Nika Knight, staff writer

A new study has discovered that tens of thousands of miles of permafrost in northwest Canada are rapidly melting, adding weight to recent research that shows an accelerating decline in permafrost in Alaska, Siberia, and Scandinavia.

Real news about the real world. While Trump supporters will probably ignore this or believe it is part of the hoax those still following events in the real world should take this finding very seriously. There are no data on the release of methane and carbon dioxide but if these greenhouses gases are being released at an increasing rate it may mean that climate scientist James Hansen was right when he said the 2C goal is a disaster and the goal should be not exceeding 1C. It is possible that this is start the of unstoppable global warming, which means no matter how much we reduce emissions global warming will continue because of positive feedbacks and the global temperature will eventually increase by an additional 2C or so degrees or more. I would not be surprised that alarming data about emissions from thawing permafrost will soon follow.

And this:

I wish someone could give me some sound reasons that would indicate that anything but microbes will be able to survive on this catastrophic human induced sixth extinction. Many scientists agree we must figure out a way to pull co2 out of the atmosphere: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/02/26/weve-reached-the-point-where-we-need-these-bizarre-technologies-to-stop-climate-change/

But that won't stop the poles from melting or the oceans from acidifying and methane from being released.

I do not see any way out of this ecocide perpetrated by humans. If you feel there is, please share . . . .

I find this article quite lacking in science. What is escaping is methane gas that has thawed from a methane clathrate. Methane is 80-125x stronger warming gas than CO2 in the first decades then turns into CO2. This process is one of the feedback loops to extinction from our release of CO2 through our emissions.

Seems those facts would be important but hey facts are not what they used to be now are they CD?

I think the article should have mentioned that methane as well as carbon dioxide can be released from thawing permafrost. Actually I think methane release is the bigger concern. This article was not about methane clathrates so I don't have a problem with that source of methane not being mentioned here.

"The study didn't address the issue of greenhouse gas releases from thawing permafrost."

Following the link in the fourth paragraph to the insideclimate news page, the study concerned other effects of collapsing permafrost than methane releases. Those too are being fully studied and reported, but this effort looks at the effects of high-carbon sediment washed into the seas, and equally needs to be understood. As reported there, sounds like a necessary scientific investigation, which, following the links was conducted by the Northwest Territories Geological Survey , a (Canadian) government funded technical consortium. It is also a follow-on study after the observations that more open sea in the Arctic is allowing larger, more energetic waves, accelerating the removal of permafrost shorelines.

edit: the earlier observations of increased wave activity also realized the waves increased ability to "disassemble" the seasonal portion of the ice pack. Several more unanticipated feedback intensifiers.

The weather in the eastern US has been like nothing I've ever seen. We've broken record high temperatures (76F - an all-time record for February) and overall temperatures have been so far above normal throughout the winter that it looks like early-mid April outside.

yes, I have read on another post that they are saying, there is no global warming, ...
(1) they had snow!
(2) it is because the earth is changing it axis..that is what they are saying for the warm days...
maybe I shouldn't write this, but I know when I'm licked.
my coworker just asked me if it's sunny and hot out, which I know she hopes it is....
New York City, March 1st, 72 -74 degrees...I would say this is about 30 degrees above average...
I never hear ANYONE mention global warming, not once in
everyday conversation...just heard coworkers say : it's AMAZING!!!
Bottom line: No One Cares....
the few who do are far and between.
I am tired of getting depressed about it...
I personally think it's over...I'm just glad I don't have any children....
I feel for future generations, and the poor beauty of diversity/ animals
that will soon go extinct.
there is NO political will at all, ....none...
Everyone is walking around with ashes on their foreheads..
with global warming and buildup of military, all I can say is: what the hell for?

Get over it....NO ONE CARES....( I care/ and a few others who are considered
environmental nut jobs....I say sarcastically, but the rest? the
human species, I think is certifiably insane...
average persons I pass on the street,
believe me,
they don't give a damn, and, in fact, they think it is absolutely FANTASTIC!!!
everyone at work is going outside to enjoy it....
do us a favor, since there is no political will to do anything about global warming
or animals going extinct or global overpopulation (what???? there can never
be enough humans!)
do us a favor, and stop making us depressed? Most people do not care...
therefore, nothing will be done.

" An accelerating decline in permafrost in Alaska."

As someone that has owned a 155 acre private fishing and camping Preserve, in Alaska since 1999, I can personally attest to the above statement. Immutably, unequivocally and absolutely no doubt about it.

If this climate devastation is not addressed soon, forget it, because the aeromancy portends a horrible future for our planet.

What good is the supposedly extraordinary human brain? what good is it?
it seems nothing but a tool of death and destruction.
a real natural mistake, as far as I am concerned.

To those who say they love the bizarre May-in-February weather, I would simply reply:"do you think the warming will decide to just stop when we get to the temperature you like?" I never cease to be amazed at not only the anthropocentrism of peoples views, but worse, the self-centrism.

The Earth does not give a fuck about humans - whose delicate systems supported the development of h. Sapiens only through mind-bogglingly fortuitous odds.

Yes, I agree with you with what you say above. With that said, 19 years ago I chose to have a child----I have a daughter. I was part of a watershed group at the time, trying to protect water . . . prairies, woodlands and wetlands.
At the time, I thought (stupidly) that we were at a turning point and wouldn't go the way of the sixth extinction. I thought there would be as Joanna Macy calls it; A Great Turning. I was wrong.

It is probably easier to "get over it" when one does not have children.
But as I think about it, we are experiencing losses on a scale that is unprecedented since the time humans have walked the earth.

I do not think it would be helpful to tell someone who was grieving over the loss of their parent or partner or child: "just get over it!"?

We are talking massive losses here and with that---- given that we are human------comes grief for those that are capable of empathy and compassion. I don't know if we can ever fully get over it. There has never been a human induced sixth extinction before, we are entering in uncharted territories of loss and the associated grief. I fear it will all morph into rage and desperation.

To put Trump's omission of climate change in his speech to Congress in perspective, I believe George W. Bush did not mention it until his seventh state of the union speech. In other words, it took six years of criticism for Bush to finally at least mention there was a problem. When Bush did mention it was a decade after the Kyoto Protocol had been signed and I believe Al Gore's film Inconvenient Truth had already had its run in movie theaters across the country. Bush cost us valuable years that could have been spent taking action to fight climate change. Now Trump is squandering another opportunity for rapid action.

Add to that the rush around the world by transnational construction companies to build mega-dams. All are in total denial that the reservoirs, laden with rotting flora and fauna, become massive methane factories for at least the first five years.

A recent Alert by an Alliance of Leading Environmental Researchers and Thinkers included biologist Philip Fearnside on dams in tropical regions(scroll 2/3 of the way down).

Where did you come from, the right wing echo chamber? In the real news, millions of people around the world are working hard to fight climate change, including millions in the US. Virtually every country in the world has signed an agreement to reduce emissions. The wind energy and solar energy industries are booming as result of all the people taking action. Only right wing fools would consider environmentalist nut jobs. What they are doing is heeding the warnings of climate scientists all over the world. If you want to see real nut jobs watch Fox News. Right wing in the US has sealed itself off in a world of make believe. If you step out of that up-is-down world you will actually see what is going on.

You don't have to have a child..in order to care what is going on in the world.
to be honest, I see a lot of people who are parents who seem willingly uncaring...Not all, but quite a few.
I care very deeply and I would never say to anyone to get over the loss of someone or pet that they loved...EVER..

I am just very very depressed about the whole thing, and I just can't let it get to me anymore...
I did something awhile ago that I hope won't risk my job...I'm just hoping...regarding making a statement about Trump
but I was just so angry...
I am NOT giving up., in fact, I think I am going to get MORE involved.
it just ...the insanity ...i.e., military buildup/ glorification of the military...
complete collapse, it appears of responsibliity as watchdog against Tyranny by mainstream press...
is just too much sometimes.
Maybe a lot of writers who write books about this stuff should be honest and not end every book on a
note of optimism
maybe they should end with Warnings that unless people start DOING something, BIG TIME, now it will be too late...
what do most people do? read these books and then give them to the Salvation Army for a tax write-off - ?
that is all that they seem to be worth, for the most part, for the change that they bring about.
I don't get it.

Massive release, massive arrogance - it's all of a piece with Don and his party.

Looks like the 'coaster has crested the hill and is heading down the big drop. I believe all attempts from here on out are adaptation not mitigation. Change is happening too quickly for organisms to adapt. Our end will come when our food sources go extinct. Buying a backpack this year and spending as much time as cn in wild places with family. I'll undoubtedly be accused of giving up, not trying hard enough. I'm not stopping, just being realistic, I'll still fight though.

One to ponder and some of the basis behind this post;

“One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it’s still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards.”
― Edward Abbey

I fear you are correct. The damage man made emission has created is done. We are locked into a minimum of 4C or 6C and probably by mid century. Humankind cannot survive in such a world as food habitat will collapse. The cat is out of the bag.. We're done.