Home | About | Donate

Reaching Out to Trump Voters

Reaching Out to Trump Voters

Bob Burnett

On April 17th, my Berkeley Indivisible group hosted a two-hour discussion on "Reaching out to Trump voters," featuring UC professors Arlie Hochschild and George Lakoff. Participants learned how to approach a group that some consider a lost cause.

After November 8, many progressives were dismayed to learn that one or more members of their family had voted for Donald Trump. It wasn't some random Republican in a remote red state, it was someone they had shared holidays and vacations with. It was a beloved member of their family.

I would like some advice about how to reach out to Democratic voters. I still run into so many of them who don't realize that the democrats are the other half of the capitalist "dictatorship of money."

I think we need some way to identify Trump voters who are most likely to change their views. I would think it would be those who voted for him because of economic issues. That is probably a small portion of his supporters but there seem to be a lot of them in the Midwest. That is the part of the country that voted for Trump in most of the states but where he has the weakest support. It is also I think the part of the country where economics plays the biggest role in how people vote.

He had me until he started on the Trump "ties to Russia" What a load of c***.

1. Don't call them, racists, nazis, deplorables or any other names you usually call someone who disagrees with your world view.

BTW, the next paragraph is pretty lame. If you are so weak as to get "triggered" better not engage in debate with anyone.

I mean... seriously???

" Recognition of triggers is worthy of a special training; suffice it to say that if, during your conversation with Uncle AL, you suddenly feel very angry or you have gone numb, you are likely "triggered." Seventh, if you are triggered it's okay to ask for a timeout. Take the time you need to collect yourself. "

imo, pretty much everyone gets triggered--it's when that anger wants to overreact or lash out (even mildly). Anger is a powerful emotion that we can use for good, but it takes strength, not weakness, to recognize when something is pushing buttons in you that include many life experiences and perhaps a rut (for myself, anyway), not just what the other person is saying.

Mediation is an important tool, not just for me and Uncle Al, but between countries and factions within countries. Triggers all over the place, all the time, but we have to keep talking. :O) imho.

Actually this article is inaccurate about one point. According to a study conducted by Yale,contrary to what the author states, a slim majority of Trump voters do believe that global warming is human caused and that the federal government should do something about it.

More than that, 77% of Trump voters believe that renewable energy is a good idea and that the US government should do more to promote it, etc.

It seems to me that this is an excellent opportunity for progressives, union folks, environmentalists, and the like to rebuild a left alternative to the right wing malaise that has swept the Heartland and Rustbelt, and in fact, I am working on publish a proposal to do just that, and it should go live soon, perhaps next week. Please look for it on ecology.iww.org soon.

More than that, 77% of Trump voters believe that renewable energy is a good idea and that the US government should do more to promote it, etc.

Can you provide a citation to that? Trump voters, as a basic principle, believe that the government should not promote any economic sector over another- the role of goverment should be military power, law enforcement, issue currency (preferably under a gold standard) and that's about it.

Yeah, one might as well ask about Hillary's ties with Wall Street and her talks with Goldman Sachs.

"What would Jesus do if he saw a Black man being beaten by the police?"

HE would ask Hillary to pay more attention to Black Lives Matter. Jesus might also question the Clinton administration's "three strikes and you're out" and "workfare" policies that gutted many black families.

government should be military power, law enforcement, issue currency (preferably under a gold standard) and that's about it."

Apparently Trump sounds like a card carrying member of the Milton Friedman club!