Home | About | Donate

'Read Every Word of This': WaPo Investigation Reveals US Officials' Public Deception Campaign on Afghan War

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/12/09/read-every-word-wapo-investigation-reveals-us-officials-public-deception-campaign

3 Likes

The name “Afghanistan Papers” and the revelation (they claimed progress in warfare, but were lying about it!) seem like throwbacks to old Ellsberg days, when occasionally one might encounter someone who prioritizes objective reality (I know: how dare I imply such a thing exists?) over the micro-insistent, suffusing bubble-bath of spin, overflowing the tub and spilling all over the floor.

6 Likes

Newsflash: Everyone knew it was bullshit, just like everyone knew LBJ’s and Nixon’s stuff about Vietnam was bullshit.

21 Likes

Let’s hope that this trashes the Obummer legacy, along with our already-extant hatred of Trump and W for being war criminals.
I also remember the Julian and Chelsea exposed a lot of similar criminality and lying to the American people about our endless wars, as well as our devious “statecraft.”
I hope that when Bernie is elected, he will look back, not just forward, and prosecute all the war criminals from all prior administrations.

13 Likes

Classic limited hangout. This is to cover up the much much bigger lies underpinning the entire “War on (of) Terror.” As for Afghanistan, the biggest deception came in the “reasons” given to justify the war. Not a shred of evidence has ever been produced linking Afghanistan, or even Osama Bin Laden, to the events of 9/11/01. They said it would be forthcoming. It never came.

The rest is useless nonsense.

14 Likes

Not really. Only those of us who are awake and aware knew. The pro-war people don’t like to hear “facts” as long as there are bombs to be dropped and brown people to be killed.

4 Likes

They knew it was bullshit too.

5 Likes

Rumsfeld (in 2003 memo) sez:
"I have no visibility into who the bad guys are.” (Emphasis added)

Lending further credence to my belief that neither he nor “Tater” Cheney cast reflections in mirrors.

15 Likes

Very true, but Saudi Arabia has been linked to 9/11.

12 Likes

Prominent among the “pro-war people” are defense contractors.

They knew it was bullshit and they knew that disseminating bullshit was great for their bottom lines.

16 Likes

I suppose you are right. I guess what I meant when pointing my finger was the lazy, uninformed part of the population.

2 Likes

“Take the time to read every word of this,” progressive commentator Krystal Ball said on Twitter of Whitlock’s new investigation. “Three administrations have lied to us about Afghanistan. How many lives have been lost and fortunes spent for nothing??”

Krystal, too bad the Military,Industrial,Congressional, Complex does not agree with you because to them the fortunes… were well spent!

9 Likes

Well sure. There were and are a lot of those. I might add that the grunts on the ground in both wars knew it was BS.

2 Likes

“In war, truth is the first casualty .” --Aeschylus

10 Likes

Ol’Don Rumsfeld says it best here.”we are woefully lacking in intelligence”. Yes, Don you and George and Dick were indeed lacking in intelligence and still are. After all Don is the guy that convinced Nixon to end the draft and have a volunteer military. All the better to hide their lack of intelligence And attack countries that had nothing to do with 9-11. I also remember that WAPO was one of the biggest cheerleaders. Maybe an investigation was in order prior to invading those countries.

Bernie 2020

5 Likes

I remain curious how the Saudis managed to fly a plane into the Pentagon, causing even the jet engines to vaporize at a temperature that was lower than required to melt the casings. Musta been a fluke, eh?

3 Likes

True, too, but probably more limited hangout. Pin it all on the Ay-rab patsies. No way Saudi Arabia could have done it all on its own.

1 Like

So, why’s the CIA’s Paper of Record finally revealing this info? One would think they would want to keep it under wraps, cause the opium business is excellent. Could this be the NWO folks finally starting to accelerate the turning of Americans against their government?

3 Likes

I guess someone needs to inject this

If Bush had agreed We wouldn’t have been in Afghanistan or Iraq.

4 Likes

Bush could not provide evidence so he couldn’t accept the offer.