Home | About | Donate

Reaffirming Commitment to 'Basic Human Decency,' Sanctuary Cities Remain Resolute

Reaffirming Commitment to 'Basic Human Decency,' Sanctuary Cities Remain Resolute

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

With Donald Trump's inauguration just over a month away, it will soon become clear whether he intends on using beginning days in the White House to try to follow through on his promise to end federal funding for sanctuary cities. Scores of such cities, however, are standing resolute, with officials from over three dozen of them publicly reaffirming their commitment to "basic human decency."

America is going to need these sanctuary cities. It looks to me, like the Hispanics and Muslims are going to need these sanctuary cities now more than ever. Good they are remaining resolute.

Good to see so many cities ready to protect our neighbors. Three in Colorado made me especially proud. We have to stand firm against aggression from anti-immigrants.

Perhaps We the People have finally begun our Peaceful Revolution.
* Perhaps the Statue of Liberty will again stand for the hope and dreams that once fueled this land and truly made it a beacon for humanity.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Emma Lazarus' Poem inscribed on the Statue of Liberty.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amen!
;-})

I personally support this as a matter of principle, but wonder about one aspect: work. We need to face the facts. The US shut down/shipped out a huge number of jobs since the 1980s, ended actual welfare aid in the 1990s, and we got very, very tough on the jobless poor. How would undocumented immigrants fit into this situation? Because job application forms ask about one's citizenship, and assuming that it's illegal to live/work in the US when undocumented, and further assuming that they don't qualify as refugees, how could they get jobs, even if jobs weren't scarce?

What if they end up become a part of our masses of homeless poor? We are really quite brutal to the poor today.

This is a positive sign. Many people may have voted for change but certainly most people who live in metropolitan areas do not want the change that Trump wants to being about.

You should be concerned that Trump is trying to stir up trouble with China. We all should be concerned. He is surrounding himself with some of the craziest hawks out there. You sound like you are not following the news.

His only relation to Russia is in how it can serve him personally. Also, he is possibly in debt to Russia for large sums. And the choice of Tillerson illustrates this one more time.

Mango Penishead serves nobody but himself.