Home | About | Donate

'Real Teeth': Senator's Bill Would Punish CEOs With Up to 20 Years in Jail for Violating Consumer Privacy Rules

'Real Teeth': Senator's Bill Would Punish CEOs With Up to 20 Years in Jail for Violating Consumer Privacy Rules

Jake Johnson, staff writer

At the tail end of a year full of egregious data mining scandals and privacy violations by corporate giants like Facebook, Google, and Equifax—behavior that went

1 Like

Serious jail time for corporate honchos at Big Tech? Bring it on.

And let’s see the same for the climate-change deniers of Big Oil, the fraudsters of Big Banking, the poisoners of Big Pharma, and the gluttonous Goliaths of Big Insurance.

That would be a good start (as someone once said of 10 lawyers at the bottom of a pool).

13 Likes

Omitted in this argument is the fact that most of the opportunities and problems with data actually arise from centralization, without which monopolies on data among other things would… do something else.

Satoshi (the pseudonym) designed the block chain and it has been evolving in decentralized process for about a decade. This is a technology that both counters centralization and can be used (to lesser advantage) by centralized and monopolistic interests.
[Just added the link to Reuters noting thought pieces on todays 10th anniversary of Satoshi’s white paper being published.

Municipal broadband is another very important component that has been subjected to the millions in defamation by the monopolists.

We MUST awaken as communities to the strength in localization, centralization and regulations that do no more than prevent abuses. The latter is an environment Reagan and Clinton cultivated for their pay master abusers - the consequences of which we now deal with.

The window of the opportunities for communities to really build on decentralization and unity in diversity might not be kept open for very long. We need to assiduously study and educate ourselves beyond the poisonous rhetoric being bought from ‘salesmen’ benefitting from the likes of Cambridge Analytica for example. Anyone who thinks they are a unique case is not paying attention.

5 Likes

W was a pilot, wasn’t he?

2 Likes

Somehow i do not see the most corrupt court system in the world passing this.

3 Likes

Yeah, good luck passing your Bill. I’d rather see the Walk Out Google experienced happen to All Companies that do not protect Consumers or Employee rights and safety. Let these Rich CEO’s run their companies themselves. They can’t! Will a Worldwide Walkout ever happen? That’s up to the People and not that hard to organize.

2 Likes

We saw what the republicans thought about and did to Elizabeth warren and CPB when they got the chance. As long as there is a republican in power anywhere in the system the 1% and their support system remains untouchable.

1 Like

strange grandstanding by Wyden on an issue he, of all people, should know better those CEOs buy immunity because they shovel their data to the police state virtually on demand. FB right now is a one-company dissent wrecking crew. That’s a big chip to cash in.
No way the intel weenies let this one get out of committee.

4 Likes

I’m coming around. At first you had to convince me one party was as bad as the other, which I still struggle with. Let’s face it, even though they are both corrupt, one seems more morally bankrupt than the other. But still keeping the grey matter open to facts

2 Likes

It’s easy to see where people on CD stand in general and I find the same on other sites I join in on. I will still support the local and state reps. that I know. I saw my state dem. senator morph into a more corporate dem now that the net worth topped a million bucks. So the proof is in the pudding.

1 Like

There are nice assholes and not so nice ones. I count you as one of the good guys so far. Besides, wandering around on CD forces you to thicken your skin a bit anyway. I do wish people would stick to comments, no matter how harshly presented, and leave the personal attacks for the likes of DJT.

1 Like

First, stop putting faith in algorithms. They don’t work.

1 Like

Court System?  What you mean-um “Court System”, Kemo Sabé?

Wyden is just grandstanding in a foredoomed attempt to “prove” that the DamnocRats are SO much better than the RePoopLickens.   Even IF — and that’s a huge “IF” — such a bill got through the Korporate-owned Senate and the Korporate-owned House, do you honestly think Presidunce Tweetle-Dumb would ever sign it into law?

3 Likes

how about 20 years per incident, while we’re dreaming? With CEO’s paying think tanks to write legislation, and lobbyists to get it passed, how’s this one going to get through?

3 Likes

A lot of times democrats propose this kind of thing when it obviously cannot pass, only to suggest the idea that they are progressives. this is typical before an election. However, when democrats have power and can actually affect changes, they act much differently; passing the defense authorization act which makes the patriot act look tame, and launching drone assassination campaigns, and adding just enough votes to get justice Roberts confirmed, and deliberately ignoring climate issues. Obama was great about promising action on climate in his campaign, but did nothing. There was some lip service about bringing NSA spying under control, but in truth every act of every american is under close scrutiny 24/7 with street cameras, internet, phone, etc. The government loves this - both sides of the isle. I helps them to keep control of a increasingly disenfranchised populace which does not consent to their governorship, nor is in any way represented by them.

3 Likes

…that sounds like you want all us peons to serve a term or two, what’s with that, am I missing something?..

…So, with everything you’ve just told me, I guess I should vote for greedy GOP asshats?..or do I just throw everyone under the fucking bus?..

…Almost forgot, you GO Senator Wyden and thanks for bring to the media, the children in cages via ICE (which sucks pond water)…

Ah-yup.  I’ll confess to falling for O’Bummer’s fake message of “Hope” in 2008, but after he and P’Loser let the Banksters and War Criminals off the hook in 2009, I was done with the DamnocRats.   If those two had done their jobs back then Mnuchin and Haspel would be in prison today instead of helping Tweetle-Dumb destroy what little is left of “our” democracy.

2 Likes

…OK, I missed it,…who are the ‘fools that use ‘their’ (assume you still refer to the 1%?) services’?..