Home | About | Donate

Reality Winner Is a Whistleblower

Reality Winner Is a Whistleblower

Jesselyn Radack

Reality Winner, the 25-year-old Air Force veteran and NSA contractor charged with mailing classified material to a news outlet, is a classic whistleblower. She hasn’t claimed that mantle, which is understandable given America’s love-hate relationship with whistleblowers. They are alternately celebrated and denounced, depending on who has the microphone and who has the power.

"The most successful whistleblowers—from Daniel Ellsberg to Edward Snowden—have gone to the media, which brings the benefits of speed, objectivity and investigative resources."

For once, this phrase can be used properly :

Reality Winner, Thank You for your Service.

It is officially time to rename the 'Intelligence Community'.

How about the 'Stupidity Sewer' where information that would benefit the many in this country, goes to decay. Well, if the 'Stupidity Sewer' has it's way.

Reality Winner deserves to be reinstated to her job, and promoted with a raise.

How was Ms Winner disclosing waste, fraud, abuse, or illegal practice by the NSA?

She wasn’t.

She disclosed the conclusion of some NSA monitoring, and that conclusion was not being used to further waste, fraud or abuse.

What Ms Winner’s disclosure of the GRU peaking into voter registration systems, and attempting to contact some state voting computer administrators so as to possibly infect the administrators computers (not the same thing as voting computers) does prove the system is generally not secure. We all knew this. It’s also not news that the GRU, or say GCHQ, etc, spies on the US and makes attempts to get into US computer system.

Her leak is nothing akin to Manning, Ellsberg, Snowden, etc.

It’s embarrassing that Common Dreams reposted this.

Hillary lost because she ran a horrible campaign, and was a weak candidate who likely had to have the primaries stolen for her. She did not lose because of computer hacking, by any party.

What service?

The service of keeping the rumor mongering about Russia influencing the election via hacking alive?

She did not disclose abuse, she is not Snowden or Manning.

And the message here is one that has been contested by the President of the United States: that Russia tried—strenuously—to hack our presidential election.

There is no such evidence Russia did anything of the sort.

You are clearly unfamiliar with what Ms Winner leaked.

Keep making excuses for Hillary, it really helps to drive more voters away from her.

It continues to amaze me how people from the right have suddenly become so understanding of Russian interference in our country (in any way). They continually stress that America also tries to interfere in other countries. The fact is that we do as do the Russians and many others.

Yet suddenly the right in support of Trump offers this mutual interference as an excuse for Trump.

So when one of our people gets caught then these foreign governments will simply excuse what they consider is an attack, just like the right wants us to excuse that type of attack by the Russians? Think those other countries (or the Russians) will be so forgiving?

So tell us again how America does this and other countries all do this but only America shouldn't try to protect itself from this interference? How does that work?

Snowden defends her, you don't.
Going with Snowden.

Considering that he continues to depend upon Putin allowing him to remain exiled in Russia, give's Snowden's defending her maximum cred.

Easy does it, please. The Alphabets are always trying their level best to discredit the leakers. Thus, discrediting the publishers of the material and the validity of anything it may contain. Basic tactics, really. Snowden's support may be more out of kinship, than anything else, as well. Who knows at this point. But, this sure was an event which points out how badly our voting system stinks, right now.
Without getting Ms. Winner into more safe environs, we won't get a real feel for the veracity of her motives. Or, being able to gauge the importance of the material she sent to The Intercept.
Having read articles, read some heated comments, and listened to interviews; this leak has been either described as a nothing burger or of marginal importance. The content was even called old news, but I certainly wouldn't go there. Unfortunately, the current DOJ will prosecute Ms. Winner just as harshly, either way. She plead Not Guilty, which is more than I can say for the DOJ., looking at what has gone down so far.

With mainstream media focused on Winner allegedly wanting to blow up the white house and move to Asia to join the Taliban the judge will not grant her bail so getting her "into more safe environs" will be difficult.

Yup. That doesn't help her chances. Sad, really.

"It continues to amaze me how people from the right have suddenly become so understanding of Russian interference in our country (in any way)."

What Russian interference in our country?

Do you think the NSA doesn't hack into Russian systems?

"So when one of our people gets caught then these foreign governments will simply excuse what they consider is an attack, just like the right wants us to excuse that type of attack by the Russians? "

What Russian attack?

"Think those other countries (or the Russians) will be so forgiving?"

Forgiving of whom, the leaker?

"So tell us again how America does this and other countries all do this but only America shouldn't try to protect itself from this interference? How does that work?"

What interference?

Also where did I say Russia should have attempted to gain access to a voter registration software company? I never did. You've basically invented a position that I never too, what a shock, not.

You've not really answer the point that Ms Winner didn't disclose fraud, waste or abuse. And she sure didn't disclose any Russian interference in the 2016 election either. Nor did the NSA report she leaked have any checkable sources.

Has Snowden pointed out how she leaked fraud, abuse, law breaking by the USA, or waste?

Where did he do that?

I guess you could argue that she confirmed what everyone knew, that voter registration software could be hacked. This is not news.

You conveniently skipped over the second sentence in what I wrote. Maybe you think isolating sentences out of context is legitimate but I swiftly lost interest in the absurdity of debating out of context in return.

Also you have gotten my post mixed up with someone else's which given your penchant for drama, I actually find amusing. Don't drink and drive okay?

trump will persecute her just because he's jealous of her name.

ZZZZZZZZZZZ
I'm sorry, what?

Whatever we think of Winner and her action, technically, this wasn't an example of whistle-blowing. I wish we would all be more attentive to the meaning of the words we use...too often loosely. Winner may be congratulated or even admired for wanting to contribute to the dumping of the Trumpster (though the report itself isn't very weighty in that regard), but this is in any case not the equivalent of what Ellsberg, Manning and Snowden did.

Personally, I join others in suspecting a grand set-up by the spooks, one that may discredit if not take down another of the critical media platforms (the Intercept) while extending the narrative of "Russia's theft of the election".

something to ponder: this may be a case where you're both right.

Winner's situation is unusual, in that the "leak" actually served the interests of power. Those kinds of leaks happen every day in Washington. Which is what makes this so weird.

If she was set up, why? Most anonymous leakers let material go with full authorization. Did she need to get busted in order to bolster the credibility of what looks to me like a garbage document? Perhaps.

Either way, though, being a whistleblower isn't always about the quality of the leak or whom it serves. I think she qualifies as one, even if she's nothing but a stooge.

This is sad Snowden disclosed information about government overreach this far left zealot disclosed a nothing story the leftist propaganda machine tried to use to harm a sitting president. You are running a farce here this is leftist propaganda.