Home | About | Donate

Rebuking Trump, 50th Community Affirms 'Refugees Welcome' With New Resolution

Rebuking Trump, 50th Community Affirms 'Refugees Welcome' With New Resolution

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

A growing number of U.S. communities are choosing to welcome refugees with open arms in a pointed contrast to President Donald Trump's positions.

Wonderful response –

… make America exceptional again…

Again?

3 Likes

A shame to have to do this piecemeal. It should be a national standard.

1 Like

My only fear of the “welcoming communities” is when all of the refugees flock there, they just get concentrated in one place so that Trump’s ICE Squads can conveniently go round them up.

It would make sense for the slogan to read ‘GENUINE Refugees Welcome’; a proportion of ‘refugees’ coming to Europe are either economic migrants - well, fair enough to a certain extent, though by no means totally - or genuine bad actors, whether returning IS/ISIS/Daesh or otherwise! It’s not a case of ‘all good’ or ‘all bad’! And some alleged humans are not worthy of the name. Think Trump…

Just curious, how do you propose to separate the “genuine” refugees from the rest?
It is not as if victims of violence get a plaque or diploma upon survival.
For that matter, when did starvation or the various assorted maladies resulting from poverty stop being a valid reason for fleeing your country?

I dare say we have all had enough of American “exceptionalism”.

“Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!” – Emma Lazarus

The USA really was exceptional. Serfs and political refugees fled from their autocracies to the United States. Unfortunately, the US is bankrolling way too many autocracies these days. That’s why it hates Liberty.

1 Like

America is not a Trump Hotel. His “No Vacancy” sign is just like the one in “This Land Is Your Land.” On the other side, it don’t say nothin’. That’s our side.