Home | About | Donate

Reckless Trump Nearly Provokes International Incident, Wrongly Saying Beirut Explosion a "Bomb"

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/08/05/reckless-trump-nearly-provokes-international-incident-wrongly-saying-beirut

2 Likes

The U.S. DoD officials said, "they don’t know what the president is talking about."

Does anybody? Really?

7 Likes

Noooo, you’d have to be on the same, extremely high level to know what Trump is talking about, after all he is a super genius. /s

“…Lebanon’s government is corrupt and inefficient, and has driven the country into the ground.”

Well there’s a blanket statement that could apply to many countries around the world, including ours.

7 Likes

Cole says as much immediately after what you’re quoting.

I have to say my own head’s been spinning with concern over the possibility that, for some stupid reason, Israel had been behind the attack. That Cole, who is no fan of Israel, assesses that there is no reason to reach such a conclusion, is mildly reassuring. Yet it also makes me nervous to think that someone might take Trump’s comments as evidence of Israeli culpability and launch another escalation.

I think it’s clear that if Israel was behind the explosion, they would absolutely not have told Trump. They’re not stupid. And I also doubt he was relying on classified information obtained by U.S. spies, since he doesn’t read his briefings or listen to them.

His instinct is to sow discord and chaos wherever he sees it. He probably believes it’ll play well to his base to act as though every explosion in a Middle Eastern country is a terror attack. I can’t stress enough how lucky we’ll all be if we rid ourselves of this scumbag without him starting World War III.

6 Likes

Note: I meant to say explosion, not attack. Unlike Trump, I know I’m mentally unwell and don’t put myself in positions of power like that…

2 Likes

Half the fanatic Pro Israel politicos are saying the same thing on FB and every other forum, they are saying it is an Iranian missile. IMHO probably the Mosad going after the Panther?

2 Likes

Your not alone, I too immediately thought Israel. After reading many accounts about what is thought to have happened, I’m reasonably sure they weren’t involved. Even Lebanese officials are stunned at the stupidity of storing that much Ammonium Nitrate, for that long, in such a populated area. Another point was Israel offered medical assistance to Lebanon, I could be wrong, but I can’t see them doing that if they were responsible.

2 Likes

What makes Cole so sure it wasn’t an Israeli attack?

Richard Silverstein thinks it was, though not as definitively as Cole denies it:
~https://www.richardsilverstein.com/2020/08/04/breaking-israel-bombed-beirut/

He thinks Israel targeted a Hezbollah weapons storage depot,
either ignorant or heedless of the nearby ammonium nitrate.

Another point was Israel offered medical assistance to Lebanon, I could be wrong, but I can’t see them doing that if they were responsible.

It would look suspicious if they didn’t, wouldn’t it? If they were behind the explosion and offered medical assistance, none of the medical assistance that arrived would have to know about whatever clandestine operation had taken place.

I could be wrong, but I think Lebanon stabilizing is in the best interest of Israel. There’s little doubt that the explosion in Beirut will radicalize a ton of people. A stronger Hezbollah - or worse - doesn’t benefit Israel in the least. It’s not like they don’t already have more than enough people to point the finger at and say, “This is why we must do the things we do, this is why it is suicide to give ground to them, this is why leftists are a mortal threat to our lives…” And yet they’ve done all sorts of things in the past that were completely nonsensical, or appeared that way.

1 Like

It wasn’t a Hezbollah weapons depot, but a cache of confiscated ammonium nitrate. Please keep in mind I’m not defending Israel here, but Silverstein seems to have made a rash impulse conclusion, possibly based on some tweets he read, that the facts do not corroborate.

And I’m not saying Israel wasn’t ultimately responsible, only that Silverstein reached an irresponsible conclusion and that parts of his argument have been contradicted.

2 Likes

“It would look suspicious if they didn’t wouldn’t it?”

I’m not so sure I agree with that, not providing medical help to ones (perceived) enemy, shouldn’t look suspicious. In any event, there is more information coming out, yet no one in Lebanon, that I’ve seen, is blaming anyone outside of the country.
Many countries in the ME are offering assistance, enemies and friends alike, seems like a great time to try a peace conference of some sort there to calm down the aggression in the area, not that US leaders would want that to happen.

3 Likes

Many countries in the ME are offering assistance, enemies and friends alike, seems like a great time to try a peace conference of some sort there to calm down the aggression in the area

As long as Israel is still going ahead with annexation of its West Bank settlements, it’s doubtful that any Arab country in their right mind would want to even talk to Israel about the possibility of making peace. And they’d be right not to. Israel can call it Judea-Samaria all they want; there are people being materially harmed by its actions.

3 Likes

My mistake, we were talking about Israel, and your correct about them. My mind wandered, and was thinking more about the tensions between other ME countries in my post above. I’m not sure what it would take to diffuse the tensions between Israel and the rest of the ME, but it would have to be massive.

4 Likes

I guess you haven’t studied public relations much.

What do you mean by “it”? The site of the first explosion,
or the site of the second, much larger one?

And you have?
Israel has a long history of attacks in the ME, and not once after these attacks have they offered medical assistance to those they have attacked. They have after this event, that tells me it’s unlikely they are responsible.

Neither one. The first was a fireworks warehouse and the second was a cache of ammonium nitrate. You can read about both easily.