Home | About | Donate

'Recognize What Is at Stake,' Progressives Warn Amid Reports Trump Will Tap Amy Coney Barrett as Ginsburg's Successor

Some people have said they are afraid. Fear is not what is needed or called for at this time. But that’s in line with what I’ve said that most politicians in the District of Columbia and elsewhere seem absolutely terrified of this thug. I don’t know why. They are terrified of overweight/bloated bullies? Standing up to these despicable people is what’s needed and called for at this time. Not cowering in fear. That’s what the weak people do (Democrats?). And this is not happening quickly at all. For those who have been paying attention over the years, this has been in the works for some time. With every passing day since this thug took up residency in the white house, every day has been worse than the previous one, so I don’t know why this move surprises anyone. It shouldn’t, if one has been paying close attention since 2000’s Judicial Coup following that stolen election where the Supreme Court selected illegitimate George W Bush. I won’t be the least bit surprised if we have a repeat of that with the thug selected this time.

7 Likes

Let’s hope that at least the dems know how to stall with litigation like the republicans have at every turn. Long enough to count the presidential votes.

6 Likes

This is the wingnut IMO who started this in 1971, Lewis Powell, writing The Powell Memo (aka The Powell Manifesto), 2 months before he was confirmed to the SC. This created the Heritage Foundation, The Manhattan Institute, The Cato Institute, and others.

(h)ttps://reclaimdemocracy.org/powell_memo_lewis/

5 Likes

Another issue not brought up with her conformation, I fully expect them to privatize Social Security. The right has wanted to do this for years, and once Wall Street gets their grubby hands on it, it’s gone.

4 Likes

Just another symptom of a diseased, rotted, inept geritocracy. Just think how many of 'AmeriKKKa’s problems would disappear with a mandatory retirement age of 70. Congress has abdicated their responsibility to legislate and readily handed over its war powers to the executive branch and administrative powers to the judicial system.

Legally, there is nothing in the constitution that keeps McConnell from refusing to hold hearings or having hearings that last 5 minutes. This is a Don Quixote battle that cannot be won so why expend WW1 level assets to gain bloody inches on the political battlefield. All efforts should be aimed towards throttling the executive and judiciary branches of government and electing people willing to do so. That effort will not come from within the current two parties but in the streets.

8 Likes

Yeah you read that thing and get the impression that the Billionaires are “victims” and that people that insist in ensuring all Citizens get a share of the pie are somehow opposed to “freedom and liberty”. Here we are some 50 years after that memo and the rich are richer then ever and the entire world burns down around them.

To Social Security they want to use this fund of capital to extract “Management fees”. If that pool of capital is 5 trillion dollars at 1 percent MER thats 50 billion a year in profits to some small few. This on top of them using that Capital to pump and dump stocks so major stockholders reap the rewards.

11 Likes

I actually watched some of these women on TV being interviewed and what came out of their mouths was jaw dropping. They were actually openly stating that Women were the property of the man and must do whatever their husband said. There a whole pile of these women out there. It like a black person saying “Yes the bible says we are the property of our masters” and not only accepting it but preaching it as gospel.

There this small community in Southern BC just North of the border with the USA called “Bountiful” and a few women who have escaped it. Little girls are trained from birth to believe they are property. At the age of 10 they are told who they have been allocated to as a wife many of the men some 40 years older. They are traded with other such communities across the border with the USA. There about 1000 people living there and the majority are descended from 6 different men.

8 Likes

It might be useful to review the Powell Memo of 1971, as that dovetails with what you are asserting. Future Justice Lewis Powell examines an American economic system “under attack” from the left, and he outlines a strategy for dealing with that horror. I’ve always thought of that seminal writing as a bellwether for what took place in looney right wing land after that.

5 Likes

It appears that some of the " i’m not voting crowd " are against stacking
the supreme court with conservative cultists but are ok with not being active at the ballot box in the removal of Trump by voting for shill boy biden . HMM?
TRUMP is doing the stacking not the Dems . Get rid of Trump and THEN go after the corporate owned dems . Sitting home
( not voting ) and complaining on CD is a vote for another Republican
Cultist via Trump .

11 Likes

It’s quaint that you still expect the Democrats to seek out competence in their leadership.

What the Democrats do is raise money for Democrats, what the Republicans do is raise money for Republicans and set policy.

3 Likes

From the article: left to the reader as a bad thing.
"made it easier for students accused of sexual assault to challenge universities’ "

This was at Purdue University where a male student was accused of fondling his former girlfriend while she was sleeping in his room - after he had reported her attempted suicide that likely cost her the NROTC scholarship, etc.

Amy’s decision simply brought back the defendents right to a fair hearing. Title IX adjustment for the accused now ongoing at about 22 other universities.

anyone accused should have the honest chance to defend themselves.

2 Likes

Democratic senators do have the means to delay the confirmation vote:
although NPR reported that McConnell has the votes to confirm Amy.

h-ttps://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/25/capitulation-not-option-memo-details-how-dems-can-stall-or-stop-gop-rush-confirm

I will be overjoyed if Tammy Duckworth leads the revolt against McConnell’s massive power.

4 Likes

It’s a shame the “Progressives” haven’t formed alliances with the left, or they might have been voted the authority to make this Supreme Court selection.

The group is AMISH !! Not Catholic, for heavens sake.
I do like these people.
They work hard, smile,and try to live a simple agricultural life every day.
Many RV manufacturers and their suppliers are in Amish Indiana areas
for high quality results from good workers/

2 Likes

True that, it took the oligarchs a couple of years to ramp up the Powell Memo campaign. But it sure has been working since.

2 Likes

It’s always about the money. Always has been.

2 Likes

The ones who prate on about religious freedom never acknowledge that it can only exist when the public sphere is secular. Those in business, unless they’re peddling religious goods specific to one sect, should have no right to enforce their sect’s dogma on non-communicants who come into their shop or consult them professionally.

The sphere of secular life must be treated as neutral ground. If it means that, as in the 16th century, RCs can’t go into certain trades or hold public offices, then so be it --the “devout” ones bring it on themselves.

4 Likes

A neo-con wet dream.

4 Likes

let us face the truth here --SCOTUS already has 5 very conservative members-adding a 6th one will make little difference-as our current situation shows -the ACA is fatally flawed-has been since the start as it is a profit protection plan for the health care corporations and has little to do with bringing health care to the people–when I was made eligible it rendered me unable to afford the co-pays and deductibles so I went without actual health for several years until I got Medicare at 65–almost 6 years --while paying out the nose for something I then could not afford to access-and being older could not afford to take the penalty–thank god I did not have to find out if it would have helped in a major health emergency or whether I would have become one more bankrupt person with a health care policy

it should be noted that there are several more judges on that court that are getting up there in years–the real fight is to replace them with more progressive judges–to do this we will have to elect people who will appoint judges who ARE NOT in the control by the corporatist agenda–something I do not see happening with the current Democratic establishment(I will veto a M4A bill if it gets to my desk -Joe)

5 Likes

She is against the death penalty-----has she written opinions??? Maddow said that she was upset with Roberts for not striking down the ACA------I’m not sure how taking healthcare away from people is in line with being a good Catholic?

4 Likes