Home | About | Donate

'Regenerative Agriculture and the Soil Carbon Solution': New Paper Outlines Vision for Climate Action

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/25/regenerative-agriculture-and-soil-carbon-solution-new-paper-outlines-vision-climate

1 Like

The Rodale Institute is not recognized by most scientists as being a source for research that can be relied upon by the broader scientific community. It has an agenda which it seeks to strengthen through studies that support a set of forgone conclusions. While the points emphasized in the report may have value, they should not be accepted uncritically. In science, reputation counts. The Rodale Institute does not practice science that is open to explanations that do not fit with the desired paradigm.

3 Likes

Organic gardening and farming are the safest and best way to grow any fruits and vegetables. Prove it to yourself , grow without pesticides and herbicides. Fresher, tastes better, picked the same day you eat it. Denial is not an option. Peace

4 Likes

I agree but the lower efficiency and increased labor mean that for any given acreage/energy input, the yield will be less than if more industrial techniques are used. This is OK for home/community gardens but for the millions of non-farmers in the cities being fed by industrial farms, it would seem to mean the inevitability of higher prices and/or food shortages.

1 Like

Treat the earth well.
It was not given to you by your parents,
it was loaned to you by your children.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
we borrow it from our Children.

Ancient Indian Proverb

7 Likes

It’s hard to get consensus out billions of people, no matter how good something is portrayed.

Thank you for the info. I have even more respect for them now.

1 Like

And are they claiming that this regenerative agriculture can annually offset annual burning of fossil fuels? This is simply not believable even before attempting a calculaiton. Or, is that bar chart comparing the total (over many years) soil carbon sequestration from these farming methods to only one year of CO2 emissions. In this case, they are being very deceptive.

Sorry, but I smell snake oil here. Anyone remember "Biochar! Biochar!!

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.”
- Sagan

3 Likes

Becasue if scientists are critical of something, its gotta by right! Is that what you are saying?

1 Like

Easy to follow video on Netflix right now.
Less than two hours, I liked it.
Kiss The Ground
~https://www.netflix.com/title/81321999
~https://kisstheground.com/

1 Like

I’d say beyond deceptive - since the bar graph says Gigaton/year on the y axis that implies both bars use the same axis label (if they had a second y axis on the right for the agricultural change which said just Gigatons, that would allow them to say it).

Is it possible? - not indefinitely obviously because at some point the soil isn’t going to hold any more carbon. It would be preferable if the article stated in how many years will steady state with new more net capture occur. Makes me doubt the study as well though I am on the pro vegan pro organic side.

3 Likes

And it makes perfect sense. But humans are stupid. I liked the trailer.

1 Like

the consensus will come when we can no longer grow food because we killed off the pollinators and ruined the soil–of course by then it will be too late to change our planetary destructive ways and we will join the bees

A few bug bites are a sure sign of goodness.

2 Likes

Good point. It is hard ti imagine spending more time in the garden will offset the tens of thousands of aircraft circling the earth at any one time. But, more time in the garden can improve the quality of your life better than most things or destinations.

1 Like

Yes, they’re biased, unlike the Monsanto and Bayer-funded research, and Monsanto and Bayer peer-reviewed journals that are ‘recognized’ science, right? You had no sense of irony when you were writing that?

1 Like

Ther are no easy answers - many, many things need to change - the biggest ones are getting fossil fuels entirely out of transportation and electric generation. Better agricultural practices help a bit too.

2 Likes

The subjects of the research funded by the ag-chemical companies you cite are not about global warming. It is about the efficacy of their products in killing bugs and weeds and nothing else. So your point is a complete non-sequitur.

If the US-left adopts the same hostility to the scientific method that the lunatic right has, we are done.

2 Likes

But how would this help make our society less of a SHITHOLE?!

1 Like

“help a bit too”? Try 1/3 of total emissions:

~https://www.nature.com/news/one-third-of-our-greenhouse-gas-emissions-come-from-agriculture-1.11708

1 Like