Home | About | Donate

Regenerative Agriculture Is Key for a Sustainable Climate and Food System

Few if any doubt the scientific fact climate change affects agriculture with droughts and floods, but agriculture is also one of the main driving forces behind climate change. Both factors have a very serious negative effect on CO2 emissions. Agriculture and lifestock farming alone are responsible for ±20% of global greenhouse gas emissions. Mitigating CO2 measures like planting forests and using biomass, while sensible to a point, can use up scarce agricultural land, thus push up food prices which in turn will affect economic growth and food security. A faster, cheaper and far more efficient solution to planting trees is the scale production of industrial hemp, the non-intoxicating form of cannabis.(See:
"The Cheapest Way to Save the PLanet Grows Like A Weed.")

Alternative mitigation measures. for example, collectively eating less meat, combating agricultural waste, manure, and improving the crop yield per acre are equally important. Plants use sunlight to convert water and carbon dioxide into sugar and oxygen - a process called photosynthesis. However, farm crops use a very small percentage of the sunlight available to them. Just improving the process of photosynthesis, and increasing the yield of crops, can considerably expand agricultural production - not to exclude the development of crops that withstand drought better.

Land erosion, degradation, and desertification are leading to substantial amounts of agricultural land being lost. Using land more intelligently so that no new exploitation, e.g., such as irresponsible deforestation and draining of marshlands, is necessary are important aspects of climate change mitigation.

Combining these ideas and different disciplines together along and sharply reducing the use of fossil fuels will vastly improve the possibilities for a more climate-crisis-resistent world environment that does not warm up more than a living species threatening survival level of 2 to maximum 3 degrees Celsius by 2050.

“… I believe we the people should be eating more of a plant based diet and sustainable farming practices…”

So do I.

In 2007, FAO statistics indicated that Indians had the lowest rate of meat consumption in the world. India has more vegetarians than the rest of the world put together. Estimates vary but up to 40% of the Indians are predominantly veggie. Vegetarian restaurants abound.

India is also a food exporting nation and the government runs enormous grain silos in reserve.
So why hungry Indians?

I guess they are exporting all their food for profits and hording their grains. What happen to the stats about all the Indians committing suicide. I am not good at keeping the facts the figures and percentages at my finger tip. We have hungry people in Amerika,
the richest nation in history and we don’t have a good distribution of food nor do the politicians work to make sure no one goes hungry along with so many other policies and issue that don’t get attention. Corporate media drowns us with Trump antics.

You hit upon something I failed to raise. The fact that many go hungry in the US (and Trump will be adding more with his policy on cutting SNAP entitlement and immigrants being discouraged from claiming assistance,) does show it is not just the poor countries where deprivation and inequality shows itself by purposeful mis-distribution of resources.

My concern is about those who put population numbers as the number one priority. It isn’t at all about too many people. It is all down to the type of economic system we have chosen to live under, one that regard profits and capital accumulation as more important than peoples lives.

And yes it is our choice. Every election we go to the polls and vote in the capitalists Eugene Debs always drew attention this senseless voting for the bosses party. We accept their “science” and their ideology which blames the victims just as we did when they told us that poverty was caused by some people (the poor) being born lazy and idle.

This article exposes another contradiction of our capitalist society values