Home | About | Donate

Rehearsals for Apocalypse: From the A-Bomb to Covid-19

Presumably, the plastic combustion itself will have a minimum temperature (especially in the winds created by the air rushing in under the rising mushroom cloud). I don’t know whether the endocrine disruptor molecules would survive even this ordinary open air incineration.

I find just the nuclear winter argument alone grounds for disarmament

I don’t use the nuclear winter argument against nuclear weapons. On a rapidly heating world, I think the danger is too great that this cooling effect could come to be seen as a feature.

1 Like

I think you are being a bit cruel here. The original post was from a person remembering a long way back in time to events that happened when he was a young man…Memories fade and get a bit obscure. Also what was known scientifically back then probably bears no resemblance to what we know today.

1 Like

You view realism as a form of cruelty?

“The original post was from a person remembering a long way back in time to events that happened when he was a young man…Memories fade and get a bit obscure.”

So? I’ve remembered things incorrectly too, and there have been occasions when other people have helped me to identify and root out those errors, and I’ve been grateful for their assistance. Are you thinking that Mr. Osborn is now too feeble-minded and emotionally-frail to have any of his errors pointed out? Is it really a kindness to regard and treat him as something less than a fully competent adult?

For what it’s worth, I’m pretty sure nothing I said here will have any impact on him. And I think that because it never has. He trots this story out every chance he can–and uses it to push his agenda against nuclear technology that has nothing to do with nuclear bombs-and I’ve pointed out the nonsense in it on multiple occasions before. He tried to argue against it on one occasion that I can recall, and that did not go well, so now he just repeats the same story over and over as if nothing in it has ever been refuted or debunked. That isn’t faded memory. That’s intellectual dishonesty of the same kind we see in science deniers from the other end of the political spectrum.

“Also what was known scientifically back then probably bears no resemblance to what we know today.”

Nothing I pointed out that was wrong with the story involved anything that was not well-understood back then. The arguments that used geometry and atmospheric optics would have been understood centuries before then.

While it would be nice to somehow ‘uninvent’ nukes, it really isn’t possible anymore than we can univent meth. The rel problem is that if everyone but one group give up nukes, that one person (or group) now rules the world completely and totally. Power corrupts and total power totally corrupts.

Rather than becoming a model of what not to do, the mid-century nuclear arms race became a template to design future “arms races”, figurative and actual.

An example of the figurative is the GOP and Dimcritters in serial competition to one up each other to give the 1% and their corporations even more than they demand. An example of the actual is the Dubya regime’s failure to renew the assault weapons ban, resulting in ever growing personal and police arsenals , and making organized crime syndicates in Mexico the defacto gubmit.

In a nutshell, arms races, figurative or actual are one of the most efficient methods of transferring wealth from the 99% to the 1%, and rationalizing oppression of the 99%.

2 Likes

I dont understand why the failure of the US to deal with Covid is a surprise. I have been in the country for 40 years and ( child immigrant) my experience of America has been one where individualism rules over community. Value is placed on money, looks, fame. Equal opportunity, self-made are inane labels as neither in reality can exist. CEO are lauded for the success of companies (as all other employees just sleep). Americans have been sold a bag of magic beans and unfortunately there is no such thing.