Home | About | Donate

Rejecting Extradition to US, Assange Tells UK Court His Award-Winning Journalism Has Protected 'Many People'

Rejecting Extradition to US, Assange Tells UK Court His Award-Winning Journalism Has Protected 'Many People'

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

"I do not wish to surrender myself for extradition for doing journalism that has won many, many awards and protected many, many people," WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange told a British court Thursday, speaking by video link from London's Belmarsh Prison.

A travesty, a show trial with enormous consequences for investigative journalism.
Free Assange! Free Chelsea Manning!!

6 Likes

…And free Reality Winner and quit pursuing Ed Snowden. They are the true patriots for openness and transparency. And will someone steal and post the entire Mueller report, please! We have a right to see all of it, along with any other incriminating documents about Trump and anyone else in government.

3 Likes

YES to all your post entails. We should call these courageous people ‘Truthbringers’ instead of ‘whistleblower’ which has a negative connotation…

3 Likes

Not sure of the legal technicalities, but strikes me as a paradox that somebody can be convicted of jumping bail when there are no charges against him because they’ve now been dropped. What’s he ‘jumping bail’ from then, exactly?

5 Likes

First Julian Assange and then us. - Chris Hedges

3 Likes

I am reminded of Osip Mandelshtam, imprisoned for writing of Joseph Stalin, particularly this:

from Poems of the Thirties: 286 [The Stalin Epigram]

By Osip Mandelstam

Translated by Clarence Brown and W. S. Merwin

Our lives no longer feel ground under them.

At ten paces you can’t hear our words.

But whenever there’s a snatch of talk

it turns to the Kremlin mountaineer,

the ten thick worms his fingers,

his words like measures of weight,

the huge laughing cockroaches on his top lip,

the glitter of his boot-rims.

Ringed with a scum of chicken-necked bosses

he toys with the tributes of half-men.

One whistles, another meouws, a third snivels.

He pokes out his finger and he alone goes boom.

He forges decrees in a line like horseshoes,

One for the groin, one the forehead, temple, eye.

He rolls the executions on his tongue like berries.

He wishes he could hug them like big friends from home.

2 Likes

Julian Assange; Edward Snowden; Chelsea Manning. What do these three patriots have in common? They embarrassed the hell out of the U.S government!