Home | About | Donate

Rejecting Trump Spin, 62% of Americans Believe US Economy Primarily Benefits Rich and Powerful

Rejecting Trump Spin, 62% of Americans Believe US Economy Primarily Benefits Rich and Powerful

Jake Johnson, staff writer

President Donald Trump frequently claims the U.S. economy is "booming" and "better than ever," but most Americans aren't buying it.

3 Likes

Well that is certainly true for him! The best business decision Trump ever made was becoming POTUS.

5 Likes

I am sure that a good percentage of the rest feel that the majority of the bennies go to the poor.

I’d sure as hell like to know who the 38% are that DON’T believe the tilted playing field exists!

3 Likes

They probably feel the bennies are going to “illegal aliens”. Meanwhile Amazon pays no taxes and gets a tax rebate. How is that even possible? Money is power. I watched Democracy Now! this morning, hour long interview with journalist Robert Caro who writes about political power. Damned fascinating interview.

1 Like

The understanding of negative political power is something we don’t have time to pursue because we are always busy trying to mitigate the outcomes of that power being wielded.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say Caro was speaking to negative political power. He was talking about Johnson’s motivations for the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act. Johnson was a complex man with some amazingly positive desires (for his time and background). Johnson wasn’t all evil by any means. He used powerful rich people’s money, Texas oil men’s money, to fund liberal Yankee Democrats’ platforms.

I always thought Johnson’s better angels were the result of Ladybird urging him to do the good things. Just musing on my part.

Just go to one of Chump’s Nuremberg rallies. The faithful will be happy to share their unique understanding of ‘fake news’.

2 Likes

Not according to Robert Caro. When very young, before Ladybird could have influenced him much, Johnson dropped out of college for lack of money. He took a job teaching at the “Mexican School” which was no doubt a humbling event. But Caro says there he displayed genuine efforts to educate the children, albeit in the fashion of the times, reprimands for speaking Spanish for instance, but nevertheless genuine desire to see them educated. They play a telephone recording between him and MLK that is amazing, Johnson was genuine in his desire to see improvement in the black and Hispanic peoples, yet with an Old South Texas tinge of racism to it.
Caro said LBJ sent patronage to Brown Root ( I think that is one of the Big Concerns he mentioned) and the Texas oilmen in return for big cash checks which he used to fund Liberal Democrats up north. This is not something a purely Old South racist would do. It was this cash that helped get Kennedy’s civil rights dreams into law.

That almost 40% are far enough removed from reality to believe otherwise is utterly terrifying.

4 Likes

I’ve previously listed what today’s economy amounts to: manufacture of WMD munitions and police state security guards everywhere; steel production for pipelines, gas hog trucks, luxury cars and border wall; polluting industries in oil, gas and coal; construction of penthouse and slumlord tenement housing (these are supportable were it not for how it benefits the filthy rich); UBER & Amazon driver positions that dismantle local/regional economies in service to the absolutely unsustainable global economy. You’ll never hear national broadcast news describe the economy in those damning terms.

8 Likes

I’m keeping an eye on newcomer candidate 6-term Ohio representative Tim Ryan. He’s almost a JFK personality. Whatever negative is said about him should be scrutinized. I’m almost certain we’ve got a ‘mole’ in our local 350 organization poisoning associated environmental and social issue groups. Trust no group professing self-driving car tech as a solution…

2 Likes

I can vouch for the fact that I have actually lost ground in this economy. Any tax gain was purely a house of mirrors. The minor tax benefits were obliterated by just the gas hike let alone general inflation. The tax cut was a massive lie, but the wealthy did well I hear.

1 Like

And Trump will see to it that the poor quit hoarding their money.

1 Like

Ya can’t fix stupid.

2 Likes

Nah. I think I’d rather eat gopher cheese a’la mode.

1 Like

Short term, maybe.  But he’s been making crooked deals for many, many years, and might have been better off in the long run if he had kept quiet and stayed under his rock.  Tweetle-Dumb’s been obstruc­ting a LOT of justice lately, and it’s NOT all related to the firing of Comey.  Even if he is able to stall on letting Congress see his tax returns, there’s still the question of his dealings with Deutsche Bank, and some rather serious people are looking at possible money laundering.   And, BTW, why are Tweetle-Dumb and Rudy Giuliani so chummy?   Did Trump pay Rudy some big bucks to get off the hook for some of his shenanigans in New York a few years ago?

The Opera Isn’t Over 'Til The Fat Lady Sings,” so they say — and there are a lot of fat ladies being lined up to sing about Trump . . .

Is there a correlation of the above number with the percentage of Americans with an I-Q above 90?

. . . and that 72% must correlate to the percentage with an I-Q over 80.

There’s a reason why intellectuals (i.e. those with brain cells in gear) are some of the first to go under repressive and diabolical regimes.

Anyone who’s paying close attention has to go.

3 Likes