Home | About | Donate

Rejection of Gerrymandering in Ohio Suggests the US Wants Fairer Elections

Rejection of Gerrymandering in Ohio Suggests the US Wants Fairer Elections

Fran Korten

This week’s primary elections drew a lot of interest, primarily because of some high-profile races for U.S. senator in West Virginia and governor in Ohio. But a little-known ballot measure approved by the voters in Ohio may have greater long-term political effects.

The measure, which passed with an overwhelming 75 percent of the vote, aims to curtail gerrymandering in drawing Ohio’s congressional districts.

Ohio is divided into counties, and the counties are divided into townships. These divisions are used for all other governmental purposes, so it would be logical to use them for voting districts. Combine adjacent counties when the population is small, and divide them along township boundaries when the population is dense. My current district is a narrow strip that runs from NE Ohio to the very southern tip. This is ridiculous!
Also, I would like to know about the 25% who voted against this measure. Do they approve of gerrymandering, or do they oppose the particulars of the new plan?

Why let Big Money choose our government employees?

Direct Democracy

I voted against Issue I, and I’ll tell you why. I’m a new member of the Green Party, and a long-time Green voter for President. Sixty percent, that’s right, 60% of Ohio voters last Tuesday were independents, neither D or R, which only represent about 20% each of the electorate. Yet Issue I enshrines them as the only official parties for determining Congressional districts and cuts out the vast majority of Ohio voters. Why? Don’t tell me non-partisan redistricting is not possible. Michigan has passed non-partisan redistricting reform. Elections should be run and administered in as non-partisan a way as possible. There is plenty of electoral mischief that goes on with the currently D and R administered election system already. They make it next to impossible for independents and third-parties to get on or remain on a ballot. You want to know why 100 million Americans didn’t vote in 2016? Because they didn’t think they had any real choice, or voice in what happens politically. And they are most likely right. We need multiple parties, each with an equal chance with the voters at the polls. People will come out and vote if they believe they are truly participating in a dynamic electoral process. Oh, and for those who thought that forcing Hillary on the voters would make them vote for her, they forgot about option “C”, leaving the Presidency blank on their ballots. 100,000 Michigan voters did so in 2016, far more than the margin of Trump’s victory there. That is how much she was loathed and hated. I’m sure the results were similar in the other critical states she lost.