Home | About | Donate

'Remorseless' Dylan Roof Receives Death Penalty for Church Massacre

'Remorseless' Dylan Roof Receives Death Penalty for Church Massacre

Jon Queally, staff writer

In one of the most shocking crimes motivated by racial hatred in recent U.S. history, Dylan Roof—the 22-year-old white man who was convicted of the premeditated murder of nine black churchgoers during a bible study in 2015—received the death penalty on Tuesday.

A great film, "American History X", delves into causes of such racial violence by young white men like Dylan Roof.

Don't know what to think.
A part of me thinks there is no need for this worthless bag of protoplasm to take up space on the planet and another part that doesn't want to be responsible for taking his life. I don't think his death will bring anyone solace though; the only benefit may be in not having to devote resources keeping him alive when there many without that are so much more deserving.

Too bad they had to waste time and resources for this useless piece of crap.

Dylan Roof will get what he deserves. I wonder what the verdict will be for the 4 thugs that murdered a disabled white guy. If there are hate crime laws, they should be charged with double hate crimes. 1. A crime against someone of another race. 2. A crime against the disabled. :urn::anger_right::skull_crossbones:

I, too saw the film "American History X" years ago, when it first came out. It was an excellent film, which I agree wholeheartedly with your analysis of. Thanks.

Dylan Roof was a scarily horrible, vicious person, who deserved a lifetime prison sentence in a maximum security penitentiary. I've never been for the death penalty for the following reasons:

A) It really smacks of hypocrisy; How can anybody say, with a straight face, that it's against the law to go out and kill somebody, when the state is given the power to do precisely that?

B) It creates a whole new set of victims: Even the people who commit the kind of heinous crimes for which they're executed by the state have loved ones and friends who grieve for them when they're gone.

C) All too often, mistakes get made; people are executed for certain crimes who turn out to be innocent, the person who actually did commit that crime or crimes are actually found, and, all too often, they either get off scott-free, or with a slap on the wrist.

D) The quality of life in societies where the death penalty exists is coarsened and cheapened...by a great deal.

E) Inmates who've had to dig the grave and bury, or help cremate an inmate or inmates who were executed tend to get worse afterwards.

F) Many religious leaders who've presided over the memorials of executed death row inmates have become profoundly depressed and felt compelled to quit the religious life altogether.

G) When the state is given the power to execute inmates for such heinous crimes, it puts the state down to the same level of brutality as the execute criminal.

H) It has been found that the death penalty is no more a deterrent to crime than life-imprisonment. The chances are often better than not that if a criminal who is that hardened will not stop to weigh the consequences of his/her actions
I) As remote as it may seem, there's always at least a small possibility of rehabilitation and a new lease on life for an inmate. Once a life is taken, however, it cannot be given back.

J) The death penalty is all too often used as a discriminatory tool: Many more poor people, especially non-whites, end up on death row and getting the death penalty.

I am sorry for the loss of the family of Cynthia, who was killed by Dylan Roof. Without knowing them personally, here's holding them to the light during these dark and difficult times.

A lot of people who favor the death penalty for a heinous crime committed against another family member, a friend, neighbor, or even a co-worker think that the death penalty will provide closure. Unfortunately, however, they discover that no closure does come, and their rage and grief over the death of their loved one, friend, etc., still persists. They still don't get the relief and justice they thought they'd get, for either themselves or that friend, family member, etc.

Is society to blame for producing young men like Dylan Roof? If so, he would also be a victim and his death a way to absolve ourselves for what our society did to him.

Online Direct Democracy

Can't disagree with any of it.

From my perspective the death penalty is never justified. It's morally wrong. This man did despicable things and for that there is justified anger and outrage but I can't condone capital punishment under any circumstances. Unfortunately, there is no adequate response to this type of behavior withing our current system that affirms the sanctity of life and the dignity of humanity.

When a person has such bigoted, racist and prejudiced attitudes as Dylan Roof had, it's clear that, like other people with such attitudes, they've either been brought up to think that way, or they've had negative experiences with enough members of a certain racial, ethnic or religious group so that they've developed such prejudices. Bigotry is often based on fear and lack of understanding, but because our society is racist in general, it has encouraged people like Dylan Roof to act on their prejudices, especially since not enough pressure is put on politicians to enact stronger laws that prohibit people from acting on their prejudices.

Dylan Roof was a victim and a victimizer, as well. He was the victim of an extremely bad familial upbringing, and a bad environment, and he victimized other people.

Good point, 4thefuture. Anger, outrage and grief are normal, natural and justifiable emotions for the horrible things that Dylan Roof did, but, as we have both pointed out, the death penalty doesn't solve anything. That being said, when it comes to the death penalty, I feel compelled to fall back on the old "Two wrongs don't make a right" canard here.

Any human who has absolutely no respect for another humans right to life, deserves no respect in return.

Your sympathy and compassion for this cold blooded killer is just short of rational. The intent and planning he put into this crime is horrific. 45 years ago, I was what many would call, a 'bleeding heart liberal' and I at that time believed murderers could be rehabilitated and turned into useful members of society. Now, in this time that we are living in, I have become more realistic about how to deal with those who know right from wrong, and lack respect for life. Give them a free trip to the 'afterlife', one way.

Anyone who commits such an act based on propaganda is mentally unhinged or unable to see right from wrong.

Where in our justice system is the place for such people and their acts? So many lives have been damaged or destroyed and yet another murder will resolve this situation? Doubtful.

Yes. Most violent criminals have been victims of violent crimes.

I have been around this message board long enough to see the term psychopath being used very loosely, usually against people whose views are not progressive enough. And here we are faced with real psychopath and there seems to be a debate whether he's victim of some unknown force that made him go out and kill people.

Former NYC Mayor, the late Ed Koch, a WWII Vet, said often on his 1990's WABC- AM Radio talk show that he believed Corporal Punishment for Crime, from low level on up, would be its only, actually effective, Deterrent.

At the time, an American youth, while visiting a Foreign Country, was facing a Public Caning, for what would be, here, a relatively minor offense.

As I recall, his basic thinking was on the order of : "Would a Person become a Drug Courier, Commit a Mugging or any other AntiSocial Act, if they knew that, if caught and convicted, they would be Caned?"

Of course, if something like this were ever to be legalized, it would most certainly be restricted for use against the Already Downtrodden, and Victimized, not against those who would Falsely Start a War, Crash the Economy or Take Bribes from Vested Interests while Cashing the Paycheck given to them by the People they are actually Pledged to Represent.

As for it being "Cruel and Unusual Punishment", the Unspoken Truth is that US Prisons have been awash in Cruel and Unusual Punishments, too numerous to even list (Prison Rape, Beatings by Guards, Solitary Confinement for Unconscionable Lengths of Time, Execution), for Generations, now.

And THAT is inflicted ONLY on a Certain Class of Citizen, by another Certain Class of Citizens, who have become far too comfortable in their capacity for doling out, what passes for, Justice in America.

I wonder, in a world of Justice as imagined by Mayor Koch, if a Coward like Roof would have ever gone as far as he did.

I guess one way to look at this is that his death will leave funds available for innocent black men/women that are imprisoned. So in a way, his death gives life to some of the people he hated most.