Home | About | Donate

Rename the Army Posts—These 10 Soldiers Deserve the Honor

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/06/14/rename-army-posts-these-10-soldiers-deserve-honor

2 Likes

I would like to recommend Gen. Smedley Butler, of USMC for something, as he exposed the conservative/fascist plot to overthrow President Franklin D. Roosevelt in the 1930’s.And the author of “War is a Racket”, a man much to be admired and honored, and REMEMBERED, esp. in today’s troubled times.

10 Likes

Last but least…

It would be problematical from all angles to name a USA military base after Geronimo. Before anyone thinks of such a thing, I hope they consult the community of original inhabitants. I’m nonplussed and underwhelmed by Bacevich’s run-of-the-mill “white” cluelessness regarding Geronimo.

3 Likes

I certainly agree with not naming anything in this country after the confederate traitors. It is long past time this country acknowledged their treason and regarded them as the degenerates they were. They, along with the genocidal miscreants who murdered Native Americans, should be on the list of the worst humans this country has ever produced and endured.

2 Likes

Braggs wasn’t even a good general. He was rash and impetuous, and an example of the Confederacy’s lack of talent in the western front.

Oh yes. His soldiers disliked him too.

1 Like

He was my first thought.

1 Like

Col B was limiting his nominations only to Army installations. I guarantee you he’d totally support a Camp Butler for the USMC, probably to replace Pendleton in CA.

LeJeune–the other major Marine base–was named after a decent marine and a good friend of Butler’s, so they’re fine keeping that one.

5 Likes

My personal opinion is that this no different then naming a US Helicopter after the Apache or Chief Black Hawk, I do not think it honors those men. It uses their name to spread us Colonialism the world over. Soldiers hailing from a Camp Geronimo serving overseas in a place like Somalia and used to run tribal peoples of their land just does not set well with me.

Obviously, as you stated this should be up the the Apache nation but I am sure many of them would be opposed.

Frankly, given the legacy of the US Military, I do not think their any honor in serving in it anymore and consequently do not think it an honor to have one of its bases named after oneself.

5 Likes

Seems the fear for some is that not honoring traitors and racists is ‘erasing’ our history. The history is still there statue or not. The glorification of these men is not. Besides our educational system and media have replaced our real history with propaganda and alternative facts for as long as I can remember and that never bothered anyone.But what about Washington and Jefferson (they owned slaves) They can go too as far as I am concerned. Let’s get real about what the U.S. has been up to all these years.

1 Like

Why not simply decommission all of these bases and tear them down. And then turn them into housing communities for the poor and homeless. And if one insists on naming things, name them after peace activists. Let’s get back to the “peace dividend” that was supposed to happen after the end of the Cold War which was hijacked by the war mongers in the military industrial complex. It is time to shut down all the bases that enable war and lock away those who still advocate for such insanity. War profiteers and their enablers all belong in an institution for the insane.

1 Like

In some ways it is even worse than what you say. By naming these things after native Americans it is a way to try and take the responsibility away from the savagery of the white folks making war around the world and blame it on the indigenous people who did nothing but try and protect themselves from the same war making whites who claim to be civilized. It is nothing but a sick form of displacing ones own savagery onto others.

3 Likes

IMO these kind of op eds don’t belong on a progressive sight like CD because worshiping so-called war heroes isn’t very progressive in my book. All these authors are suggesting is to replace certain trained killers names with other trained killers names that are more palatable on military bases that shouldn’t even exist in the first place.

Here’s an idea: how about instead of renaming these posts we just close them down and try to make peace with other countries instead of constant war?

1 Like

To honor someone for doing something noble and outstanding isn’t worship in my book. And there are military figures I think deserve a place of honor. At or very near the top of that list would be Vasili Alexandrovich Arkhipov–the naval officer who defied an order when it went against his own best judgement, and thereby probably prevented a nuclear war.