Home | About | Donate

'Reopening' Means Workers Will Die

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/05/13/reopening-means-workers-will-die

2 Likes

Ghanaian President Nana Akufo-Addo provided necessary perspective: “We know how to bring the economy back to life,” he said. “What we do not know is how to bring people back to life.”

We’re so starved for the slightest trace of decency in the talking heads we see on the covidiot box, when Dr Fauci sounds like a fellow human, concerned about the health and lives of fellow humans, practically a whole nation falls in love. (Easy prediction: Draft Fauci for President – not my recommendation, only an example of something easily foreseen.)

Where did all the android/humanoid hybrids come from, and how did they seize the reins? Are vampires like Elon Musk truly betting their futures (or only our futures) on our willingness to work ourselves to death? There might be a chance our overlords could lose their bet this time.

USA COVID-19 stats as of Wednesday, May 13, 12:30 PM
83,802 deaths / 1,403,620 cases = 5.97% case-fatality, 25.32 per 100K residents
One of every 3,949 USA residents have perished, so far.

Among countries with > 1,000 cases, only eight have worse per capita mortality than USA. UK, Sweden, and Netherlands are onboard the same demographic experiment with laissez-faire public health policies as USA. All four of us are in for very choppy waters ahead, but only in USA do we still so proudly embrace unconscionable sloppiness (unconscionable in Senegal, at least).

The other five (Belgium, Spain, Italy, France, and Ireland) are struggling with horrible outbreaks. Italy was an example to the world of how bad it could get at one point. Now it’s in the middle of the pack of worst outbreaks. There are signs of community spirit – which practically means a capacity to survive when dealing with such contagion – in these five. Some of them might have seen the worst of their outbreaks.

6 Likes

“Will die” implies future events.

More precisely, wherever reopening is happening workers ARE dying.

They are no longer “essential workers”, they are sacrificial workers.

5 Likes

Unless you’re an unborn fetus or obscenely rich, you’re just another slave. No rights. No justice. The only way out is to lift up the stone and reveal the Dark Money that’s been funding the quiet coup for the past 50 years. SCOTUS’s decision on Citizens United shows how it will vote on any issue relating to We The People and not We the Corporation.
I just loved Trumpie’s latest reaction to Dr. Fauci’s science based warnings on reopening. "I don’t like it. It doesn’t suit me…"voice trailing off as he walks away.

6 Likes

As long as Don and his family don’t die, then it doesn’t matter to him - at all.

3 Likes

And, as reported in another CD article, Florida’s sociopathic Governor is rejecting the number of fatalities from their coroners office because the SARS-Cov-2 number of victims is higher than the “official” numbers. Probably going on elsewhere.

All to support the #MeOnly President–yes, worse than Hitler as Chomsky has argued. His only agenda is #MeOnly no ideology beyond that.

1 Like

Of course reopening means workers will die. Not reopening, continuing without substantial measures to alleviate problems means that workers will die. “Bailout” moves that dropped trillions of dollars into wealthy coffers means that workers will die too.

It is vital, then, that things do not return to business as usual. It is vital to move to a more direct production under very distributed control. We should all be phoning and emailing connections to see what can be set up immediately, and seeing to it that people have goods and services, not necessarily money. The people who control dollars are not our friends.

1 Like

And still the lemmings vote to die, waving their “don’t tread on me” flags as they go. Truly sickening.

1 Like