Home | About | Donate

Rep. Barbara Lee Calls for Climate Education in All Schools

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/09/20/rep-barbara-lee-calls-climate-education-all-schools

2 Likes

Excellent article by Bill Bigelow in support of Representative Barbara Lee’s resolution for climate change education in the nations schools. This has great potential. Thank you so much.

3 Likes

From the article:

“…for the school district to abandon the use of text materials that deny the human roots of the climate crisis or minimize its effects.”

That’s not going to play well in Texas—even with Houston underwater for the second year in a row. It’s the will of Gaw-Duh, might as well accept it and top off the tank on the Hummer.

2 Likes

Where will you find teachers who point in another direction than a capitalist military empire operating at a five Earth per capita consumption rate?

The world economy would require five Earths if every one lived like people in any of the english speaking or european countries.

Therefore; Teachers will themselves need to learn to describe a way of life that uses less than one Earth and leaves room for wildlife. Brazil is burning the Amazon to feed Europe glyphosate residue soybeans grown by capitalists and semi slave labor. Hungry Europeans are not indicating the alternative any more than eternal war Americans or capitalist Chinese.

There can be cultural collapse and possible human survivors living like stone age or there can be a new form of government and economy along with a gently declining population created automatically by peace, a secure home, and education.

1 Like

Texas can’t get racism or evolution right, why would we expect them to understand climate change, and mans part in it. The continue to think they are part of Great Britain. The Confederate flag tells all.
Sorry to you good Texans.

1 Like

And racism and wealth disparity and a hundred other things.

I think it will play just fine. Texas goes blue in 2020 and stays that way.

2 Likes

It would be interesting to see if we now start seeing textbooks that say that 100% renewable energy is the best way to combat climate change, even though that’s highly contests in the scientific community…

Rep. Barbara Lee has long been my choice for President or Veep. She is certainly one of the most progressive and experienced politicians we have.

2 Likes

I agree. She has found a way that creates lasting change and has a benefit to everyone. She is really a remarkable person and representative, while still being true to herself.

1 Like

Garrett, About this question: “Where will you find teachers who point in another direction than a capitalist military empire operating at a five Earth per capita consumption rate?” At the Zinn Education Project, we have launched a Teach Climate Justice site that offers lesson plans, teaching stories, book and film recommendations, and other curricula. https://www.zinnedproject.org/campaigns/teach-climate-justice Teachers seem eager to teach about the causes, consequences, and activist solutions to the climate crisis. Almost 100,000 teachers have registered at the ZEP site to access free people’s history teaching materials. And we have had hundreds pledge to “teach climate justice,” and to say how they intend to do that.

3 Likes

Thank you I will pass this on https://www.zinnedproject.org/campaigns/teach-climate-justice

2 Likes

I was substitute teaching in the Middle School. I got caught up in discussion on Climate Change. A student snitched me out to the principle. I was thrown out of the school immediately. This is rural NM.
The existential threat of Climate Change is upsetting.
I hope they let me come back. I need the paycheck.