Home | About | Donate

Report Warns that Plastics Will Soon Outweigh Fish in World's Oceans

Report Warns that Plastics Will Soon Outweigh Fish in World's Oceans

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

The weight of plastic waste clogging the world's oceans threatens to exceed all fish by 2050 if the world's seemingly insatiable appetite for the material continues at the current explosive rate, warned a new report presented on Tuesday.

In fact, according to the study by the Ellen MacArthur Foundation along with the World Economic Forum, "plastics production has surged over the past 50 years, from 15 million tonnes in 1964 to 311 million tonnes in 2014, and is expected to double again over the next 20 years."

Anyone who is good at "science" knows that this article is absolute hogwash!

Plastic could not possibly outweigh all the fish in the oceans... because... DUH!... plastic floats!

"Check and mate" you bunch of beatniks!

Speaking of "Duh..."

The report's assessment of the relative weights of all fish versus all ocean plastic is valid, despite the fact that much plastic floats in water.

Or can i tell my doctor that i've lost all my weight, since i also float in salt water?

well, putting 'science' in scare quotes was probably a giveaway here..:slightly_smiling: someday this placewillhave a big enough readership to get some troll upgrades. until then....

"Troll upgrades!"

People are so plastic!

Beatniks!? Don't hear that term much. Must be an old timer. Get a good night sleep, and don't forget your meds.

Imagine if you will, sitting on a beach, a new beach further inland than had ever been where the beach had been before. Running your fingers through the multicolored grains of sand, a new kind of sand composed of tiny bits of plastic instead of bits made of sea shells which have all dissolved in the acidic seawater.

That multicolored beach looks out over the rising seas that are empty of fish and too toxic to swim in because of endless algae blooms and red tides, radiation and swarms of jellyfish, the survivor cockroaches of the oceans.

That beach with its plastic sand and toxic fumes... that beach exists not in the Twilight Zone but in the ANTHROPOCENE ZONE.

The person sitting on that beach is your grandchild.

Fish and ships and icebergs, and the ancient Greek philosopher Archimedes in his bathtub [snark - look it up] float. Are they weightless?

Good God is the level of basic science education of USAns appalling or what?

Oh, and thanks CD for getting the commenting back up!

edit: So this was parody? Unfortunately, for parody to work, it needs to be an exaggeration - or reveal the absurdities of the target of the parody - but the US right today has reached the point where parody is no longer possible...

Probably some stoned Trumpist polishing up their performance art.

Wow, dsharpokc... your stupidity AMAZES me!! Have you forgotten to not take into consideration the endless TONS of plastic that have been created in Asia over the last 35 years? That's all I'm going to say to you lowly, uneducated ilk. Quite frankly, I'm not going to try and change your narrow mind at this point. You are on the wrong side of Humanity and have no idea what is happening. I guess your lack of education is paying off. Wake up and see what's happening around you! If you are a sociopath like most Republicans... you don't f--in care. I weep for your children and grandchildren.

P.S. And if you were satirical... well done. :stuck_out_tongue:

Non recycled or-recyclable plastic is very insidious becasue it never chemically breaks down, it only mechanically breaks down into smaller and smaller particles - it is the like the mineral quartz - except that when it reaches the sea, it stays suspended in the water column rather than settles out as the sediment that will form a future mountain range. And even the plastic that gets properly buried in a landfill (something not done at all in large parts of the world) its ultimate fate is still to be suspended in the sea. Those "Mount Trashmores" and all their buried plastic (including the many tons of plastic used for their liners which - on the short term anyway reduce groundwater pollution) will all wash to the sea in a twinkling of an eye, geologically speaking...

Ships float too.They're made out of steel. During WW1, the US made ships out of concrete.You are irrelevant and a hippopotamus. Beatniks? Most of them are dead.

I think dsharpokc is just having fun.

I've heard of a , for lack of a better term, a giant plastic "ice field" a few hundred miles off of the west coast. Apparently, because of circular currents, an enormous field of plastic, several hundred feet deep, has accumulated for years.

Seems to me a few garbage scows could be permanently stationed there to at least make a dent in this mess. Oh, and quit dumping your trash in the ocean.

Yeah and the really sad thing is.... it's considered "green" to recycle... when ... in the long run, we are just adding to co2 production... from all those trucks running around picking it up (yes along with our garbage).... then, having to heat it up to reuse it... then it goes out again as a "product or container"... then, we do the same all over again.... recycling doesn't really do much to stop climate change....so, my thing is... just imagine if we really did not buy anything at all that was plastic... nothing in plastic containers.. or wrappers... no plastic party decorations... nothing... we used say ceramic containers which we could refill or glass or say the multiple plastic bottles/containers we already have... and could take them back to the store to be refilled.... but.... hey our faster than fast culture couldn't put up with that ..... if you went to pick up groceries... you'd have to make sure you had your containers with you... not just your grocery bags.... but really, THIS IS WHAT WE SHOULD BE DOING.... buying in bulk... and reusing containers... including shampoo, detergent... etc... and actually, I don't even use shampoo anymore... it really bad for your scalp and hair... there are many things now that are "conditioners" to use... that clean your hair and more natural products... especially if you have curly hair....
we are all caught up in a culture that considers whether a person smell like some chemically composed prettiness rather than what a real human smells like... we should not only go local for food, but some one in your community should be the one you makes homemade soaps and essential oils... from lavender and other local materials... and do it the old fashioned way..
If I could open a REAL BULK FOOD STORE... I WOULD... and I would NOT make it a corporate chain... because, eventually, someone would begin to chip away at the basic foundation of it... and it would get "commercial"... any"store" or business should not be in existence just to make money... it should be a service, to provide "necessities."..... and each item should be evaluated as to whether it really is a necessity....
just sayin'...

Ashes to ashes.
Dust to dust.
Polymers to polymers.

"Winco" has about 7 aisles with nothing but BULK FOOD. It is cheaper and at home there is far less trash from all those containers.

We should ONLY be buying that way.... the corporate super market selling GMO garbage and other garbage should be banned... course that won't happen till the global melt down occurs... people do not understand how much food we are going to need and the amount of work it will take ... however, I think... it will be a much more satisfying way to live... except .. though there are those who will not want to loose their power... and those who will be angry about a multitude of other things...like loosing NASCAR and professional sports.. so, instead of a nice back to the basics life... with communities/tribes working together for survival... we will have to deal with violence, I'm pretty sure... oh, then there are all those nuclear power plants... those pesky things... they WILL POSE/DO POSE a serious fly in the survival ointment....

The arguments for a comparison between the weight of fish and plastic in future oceans has reached the same level of absurdity as the comparison between the weight of a witch and a duck presented in the Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail.

In that, consider the wisdom of the Pythons.

For a more balanced view of human dependence on plastic, go to the sage words regarding plastic of George Carlin.