Home | About | Donate

Reporters Ordered to Stop Covering Capitol Hill Healthcare Protests

Reporters Ordered to Stop Covering Capitol Hill Healthcare Protests

Julia Conley, staff writer

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) responded to reports on Tuesday evening from journalists on Capitol Hill, who alleged that Capitol Police were blocking reporters' access as they tried to cover healthcare protests.

Police may not delete photographs without a warrant, period.

If you think your rights were violated by Capitol Police, contact @ACLU_DC. https://t.co/6fdvuIoOgB

Nazis have taken over our government.

The police are complicit.

This news is very disturbing. It’s like reporters/journalists are the frog in the (heated) water, being gradually restricted, told what they cannot do, until we get a totalitarian situation, and the public is shut off from what is happening in their government. I am calling my (one) somewhat democratic Senator!

Welcome to the machine.

So the First Amendment only applies when Free Speech may be expunged? I don’t think this would sit well with the founders–King George, maybe…

Also notice that “protesting” on Capitol Hill is now a “crime.”

As in . . . “crime scene.”

One tangent of this bloviated absurdity is understanding the trajectory of the people and organizations interfacing via Trump with the ultra-right.

On DN! this morning - interview with author Joshua Green of the book **Devil’s Bargain **
Steve Bannon, Donald Trump, and the Storming of the Presidency

It is absolutely necessary to grasp the motivating notions behind what is otherwise incomprehensible. Hopefully this thread of inquiry and documentation will be further critiqued. The ersatz ‘theological’ derivations behind ideological practices that fire the manipulations chosen by Bannon et al - just like the explosive bloating of financial derivatives - are themselves not solutions to problems, but the most egregious distortions in personal delusion being slathered in layer after layer of bullshit and parasitic delusion.

Whew, sure is a relief we don’t live in an authoritarian police state! Can you imagine?

A protest is a phucking ‘crime’ scene???
This is a new lower low.

The revolution will not be televised, photographed or reported.

I don’t disagree, but some reporters actually stand up for their first amendment rights. Their arrests draw a lot more attention than capitulating to the state’s demands, along with possible legal remedy. It’s the constant capitulation to little things that create the foundation for capitulation to larger things: a reporter tweeting about Capitol Police “making” him delete his images. The reporter is incredibly empowered under the first amendment as an individual and as the free press. This reporter chose not to risk arrest even with the law firmly supporting him. In that person’s shoes, I might have done the same thing. However with those extra protections reporters have, there comes a duty to exercise them, lest they be weakened to the point of irrelevance.

This is another example of how critical it is to know your rights. Police get away with all kind of stuff because people do not know their rights. This happens when police stop motorists, go after undocumented immigrants, at protest rallies and marches, etc. The ACLU plays a very valuable role in setting things straight. Often when people’s rights are violated by the police there is a law suit and eventually there is justice. Certainly reporters should know their rights, particularly in this authoritarian environment created by Trump who was unbelievably voted into office by Americans.

The capital police are just overly sensitive about being filmed dragging people out of their wheelchairs to put handcuffs on them and then dragging them out of their capital building. Actually, I think there is a law against that too.

And so it begins!

Eighty years ago, I was born into a Constitutional Republic known as the United States of America. It was not a perfect nation, but it tried to do good. It had a Constitution and a Bill of Rights that was emulated by nations around the world.
*We fought, along with many other nations, to expunge fascism and Nazism from the world and make it a safe place for world peace and cooperation.
*In 1945, we won! We could finally live in peace, with some prosperity. For a few years it worked, until big money decided to rule. The Constitution and Bill of Rights have been shredded, and We the People are rapidly being reduced to the status of serfs of the controlling Oilagarchy.
*So now, it appears I will probably die in the US Fourth Reich, where the United States used to be.
*I still have some hope that the American people will awaken and throw out this fascist wannabe Nazi regime and restore that which was lost, but I fear we are running out of time, possibly have already run out.
*Ah well, I still remember it when…
;-})

Thanks Laura, I’m glad you responded. I agree; one must stand up when one knows the law is on their side. I think, in some cases, reporters may not be sure of their rights. IT is incumbent on their employers (if they have them) to inform about rights of free press! And it is the constant capitulation that does erode all of our expectations on these basic freedoms. This scares and saddens me.

“Freedom, Liberty, and Justice for All”- such hollow and empty words.

I wish we could delete the police. They are becoming nothing but thugs for the oligarchs and their two party puppets.

Washington DC is a crime scene. Unfortunately it is run and controlled by the criminals. All of their minions have taken an oath to “Protect and Defend the Constitution of the United States.” Seen much of that lately?
*Two quotes from Jefferson seem to apply here:
“The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
And,
“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.”
Thomas Jefferson
1743-1826
*Do We the People still have the moxie to fight fascism again, this time on the Home Front? Can we replace those broken chains and, if necessary, manure that drooping tree and reimpose Constitutional Government? Can we clean up this Crime Scene? I guess time will tell, but we are running out of time.
;-})

Well you know the general public and the press always over reacts to oppression or suppression of rights, for crying out loud people, just get over it.
Now please move out of here and hand over any videos or pictures, calmly and quietly, thank you.
Remember after all we are to protect your rights.