Home | About | Donate

Reports: Greek Prime Minister To Resign, Announce Snap Elections

Reports: Greek Prime Minister To Resign, Announce Snap Elections

Jon Queally, staff writer

In a move that came as a surprise to many, sources have told Reuters that Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras will announce Thursday that he will 'step down' from his post as soon as this evening and that new elections for control of the government will be held next month.

"The aim is to hold elections on Sept. 20," the government official reportedly said after Tsipras met with senior party officials and ministers to discuss the government’s next move.

sure he can go now that he has done what he was told to do.

George Bush can always give her a back rub.

He is married to a shipping heiress, isn't he? This would cast doubt on his loyalty to the victims of the economic disaster and also explain why he didn't from day one go after the wealthiest Greeks and change the laws to allow for taxation of major shipping companies.

Does anyone know of an in-depth article about his background and influences?
I'm starting to suspect he was a total sell-out all along, or else a schmuck too full of himself to know his own limitations...

Well as long as we are still able to dream, we can think that maybe the idea is to let the conservatives and right-wing back in so they are in charge when the Greek people's suffering doubles down. Something needs to move the people to take a real, anti-capitalist stand that understand they must break with the Euro. Tspiras knows he's not that guy so... Let's see.

I'd like to know what the real story is behind the story.

Plans, within plans.

Sadly, this meatpuppet has already betrayed the Greek people.

Happily, the Greek system almost requires resignation after such a betrayal. If only the American system were as responsive to the People, we'd have been rid of GWB when he let Bin Laden escape, and Obama after a few of his major sellouts, too.

Each evening, from December to December,
Before you drift to sleep upon your cot,
Think back on all the tales that you remember
Of Camelot.

Ask ev'ry person if he's heard the story,
And tell it strong and clear if he has not,
That once there was a fleeting wisp of glory
Called Camelot.

Camelot! Camelot!
Now say it out with pride and joy!
Camelot! Camelot!
Yes, Camelot, my boy!

Where once it never rained till after sundown,
By eight a.m. the morning fog had flown...
Don't let it be forgot
That once there was a spot
For one brief shining moment that was known
As Camelot.

I would love to see that!

Yes. It seems to me that Syriza was in a bind. They had not been given the mandate to leave the Euro, had emphatically asserted that they would not leave the Euro, had never made any preparations to leave the Euro, and therefore were unable to offer a real alternative to austerity. I suppose it's possible that a party could now appear who migth be able to make the case that the only option is parting ways with the Euro, if not the European Union.

If there's something I'm missing here, I'd like to know it.

what the Trots are not telling their multitudes--and you can see their fingerprints on so many of the "Left" opinions of the Greek case and the wild conspiracies centering on Tsipras--is that there was a leftist radical party that ran on the issue of leaving the EU ad Eurozone in the same election that brought Syriza to power. They got trounced.

Arby has it mostly right. The Greeks thought they could have their cake and eat it to, and they gambled on that and lost. Big. They genuinely believed the EU would do anything to prevent a departure, and so they had all the leverage. They had it completely backward. And if there's a "crime" that Syriza committed, it's that they, too, believed they had some leverage.

This resignation might do two things for the Greek left. I emphasize "might".

First, it might save the Left by taking responsibility for the situation and refusing to be scapegoated by a situation created by their corrupt predecessors.

Second, it might open up space for a more radical replacement that can finally reach the Greek people on the realities of European politics in the age of bank rule.

That's all there is left short of a violent descent into social unrest, which is pretty much what everyone outside of openly fascist players is trying to prevent.

`
Methinks Syriza blew it when the referendum only asked
AUSTERITY: YES or NO.

It should have asked: AUSTERITY or EU-EXIT
`

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Ah! this puts rather a different cast on things. Now I understand why Veroufakis sounded so weak in an interview in which he said that Syriza had never made any preparations to leave the Euro and talked about Schauble saying he'd be happy if the Greeks left the EU. The latter struck me as a negotiating position, while Veroufakis presented it as a factual state of affairs. What was his resignation all about, if from the start there was no alternative to negotiate with? Veroufakis would have known that it would come to this, so his resignation was meremly a move to preserve his radical creds.

The referendum also seemed a bit of a charade, given that it didn't ask whether, in the advent of no alternative being offered by the EU, leaving the Euro would be preferable to austerity. And, once elected, Syriza had done nothing to clarify the starkness of this choice to the electorate.

Can you tell me the name of this other party?

Or was it a charade, elkojohn, given that austerity had already been taken off the table? If they had presented that choice in the referrendum, it's clear that they could not have followed through, as there had been no preparations for exit. Veroufakis was quite clear in the interview I menioned in my previous post to drone1066, that Syriza had done nothing but task 5 people, early on, to the question of how to prepare an exit, and those 5 had done nothing concrete in preparation. Also, there had been no education by Syriza regarding the crystal clarity of the choice that the Greeks are faced with.

Why now? Well Chrysanthopoulos has an answer:

Former Greek Diplomat and ambassador, Leonidas Chrysanthopoulos, told RT that people in Greece are starting to realize that they can’t both remain in the euro and avoid austerity.

“This is maybe one reason, why Tsipras is making the snap election so quickly… so that the people won’t be attacked by all the austerity measures that will come in basically in October,” he explained.

The foreign creditors “will be worried [because of the upcoming election], basically, because from now until … the elections will be held no measure that has been imposed upon Greece will be implemented because basically we will have a caretaker government that will not have the power to implement these measures,” Chrysanthopoulos said.

Methinks it could have been tried.

I've read in other places how nationalizing the banks,
issuing script, rationing necessities, turning to Russia and
China for aid, etc. could have been done, among other ideas
(i.e., a modified version of Argentina or Iceland, etc.).

But we all know there would have been hell to pay for
bucking the Troika -- so I don't think the majority of the
Greek legislators have the stomach for that.

The next election is scheduled for Sept. 20ish, so the
citizens will have another go at ''you bet your life.''

He would certainly get my vote, if I were Greek and he stood for the office.

Tsipras turned out to be a phony. What the Greeks need is an Alexander and not some Huckabee. Most Greeks have nothing to lose any more. Either Varoufakis or some other voice of the people will materialize. Watch.