Home | About | Donate

Reports: Obama to Nominate Merrick Garlan for US Supreme Court

Reports: Obama to Nominate Merrick Garlan for US Supreme Court

Common Dreams staff

Developing story...

Ahead of an official announcement scheduled for later Wednesday morning, news outlets are confirming that President Obama's nominee for the U.S. Supreme Court is Merrick Garlan.

Currently the Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, Garlan is widely regarded as a "moderate" choice to replace the seat on the nation's highest court let empty after Justice Antonin Scalia died unexpectedly last month.

While I'd like to see a younger and more liberal appointment, this seems like a very canny move on the President's part. It calls McConnell's bluff, which makes this an issue during the prime campaign season. If Justice Garlan is rejected, Mr. Obama can nominate younger and more liberal people throughout the remainder of his term. The likelihood of a Trump presidency is really slim to none. So in my opinion Mr. Obama is in complete control of this whole issue.

Please tell me he's not another Catholic. I'd really like to see someone who is not very religious at all, but please someone other than another "Catlick" or Jew. (Yes, I hate the Catholic Church - with plenty of reasons to do so).

The final betrayal by the corporate/big-profits Prez - a stealth candidate that may be confirmed by RepubliCons as a "moderate" - this person is most likely a shill for the TPP and other outrages to uphold continued rule by the uber-wealthy and corporate domination over the earth........what a revoltin development these last 24 hours have been.........

With Obama leaving office, he could have appointed a progressive. He never, ever was. Bah humbug.

It's why i hang out here--seems like one of the only places that sees through and through HRC and Obama. Can't tell you how many otherwise "progressive" people that want what Sanders stands for still think that Obama was stymied by others and the HRC is the presumptive nominee.

Can't wait to see my Bernie peeps tomorrow for more phonebanking. Arizona, here we come. Plus. And for those that don't know, you can do it all from the comfort of your chair at home, if you want. Everything you need is online.

gotta go.

Anyone know if this nominee is a member of the Federalist Society?

corporate law and Harvard. pretty much sums it up.

I do not understand the phenomenon, but numerous supreme court justices have changed their political orientation after they became justices. As I recall Harry Blackmun was a conservative from Alabama, yet was a decidedly progressive on the Supreme Court.

SCOTUS blog has a run down on the history of Judge Garland's decisions on the DC Circuit court

You know, you could try living in the real world.

If we won't hit the streets for this nomination, will we hit the streets and back things President Sanders tries to achieve, as he suggests we do?

http://freebeacon.com/politics/obama-supreme-court-pick-shows-up-in-hillary-clintons-emails/

http://freebeacon.com/politics/obama-supreme-court-pick-shows-up-in-hillary-clintons-emails/

"While Democrats have seized on the matter as a means to criticize Republicans, video has recently emerged showing then-Sen. Joe Biden arguing in 1992 that President George H.W. Bush should delay a nomination to the Supreme Court until after the election. Republicans have also pointed out that Obama as a senator filibustered the nomination of Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito in 2006."

Have we forgotten Ted Kennedy's opposition to Bork's nomination?

Another older white guy - a corporate lawyer yet. Shame on Obama.

Obama simply followed the Democratic Leadership Council (DLC) play book, just like Bill Clinton did with NAFTA. Rebranding 1990s GOP health care reform as the ACA during his first two years in office assured that Congress would henceforth be controlled by the GOP, giving Obama cover to deliver more for the 1% at the expense of the 99%. Right wing judges are part of that strategy.

If Hillary is elected she will have the luxury of having a GOP controlled Congress from day one, enabling her to deliver even more to the 1%.

Court of Appeals. This is a zionist in charge of Social security appeals telegraphing the Zio Dems move to turn Social security funds and payouts completely over to bankster control.

OB has shown himself to be a sellout since the day he got in office.

a few, yes, but it's a) been a lot of years since this has been the case, and b) many of those ostensible "conversions" left clues along the way. Since the Burger court, however, there's been very little ideological movement of Justices after appointment. Even congenital contrarian Kennedy was like this before he ascended.

So if you're hoping that Obama gets burned by his own appt, don't hold your breath. The vetting process is far more politicized than it used to be and these people are totally risk averse when it comes to high court judges.

"The Supreme Court is unique, it is supposed to be above politics and should stay that way." Since when?