Home | About | Donate

Reproductive Rights Groups Slam WH Report on Trump's "Unconscionable" Global Gag Rule

Reproductive Rights Groups Slam WH Report on Trump's "Unconscionable" Global Gag Rule

Julia Conley, staff writer

Women's rights groups on Thursday denounced a report issued by the State Department on the impact of the Trump administration's reinstatement of the global gag rule, also known as the Mexico City policy—saying the misleading document ignores the clear negative impacts the policy is having on poor communities and women around the world that have lost access to vital health services.

A perfect example of why relying on governments to solve your problems, or provide you with funding is dangerous. All that it takes is a change of administration and your left high and dry, or forced to change your policies to keep the money flowing.

That may be true in the US, which has an erratic political system that lurches from one extreme to the other, based on the visceral passions of the day. Other governments, however, work differently, so maybe this comment should be restricted to American ways of conducting business?

We should have significant data on the impact of the Mexico City Policy that could support or show how changes might be proposed. All we get is the political outcome that produces polarization. This results in the policy being rescinded every eight years going back to its inception in the early 1980’s. The problem isn’t government, the problem is politics that refuse to look at the lack of fact based decisions.

Here is an explanation of this policy. Notice there is no data to support or detracting from the position.

I didn’t realize Mexico was so dependent on outside sources for health care. Is this recent, as in since drug wars?
I tend to want to think like WWSmith, as in they should have their own policy with their own rules, but I know Mexico has had a lot of trauma in recent years. I’m curious now how much of the US’ fingers are in all of their government.

I only knew that we accept their labor, jail a portion of it and have those folks working cheaply in prisons. And chase our drug suppliers all through the country.

As with St. Ronnie, this is a political payback to the evangelical community that does not give a shit about life already born. The cognitive dissonance that must exist in the evangelical mind is like a great capacitor–every thought they “think” is a seizure when it discharges. They must be stripped of all political power if progress is to occur, for theirs is the way of regression–which is exactly what has been occurring since the coronation of St. Ronnie.

Here is a classic example of consequences of church/state conflation with the likes and ilk of Pence striking a pose of faux nobility nauseatingly transparent to ANYONE with half a brain left from the slice and dice machine of corporation predation globalization.

Wake up !!! Centuries of colonization / slavery / predatory capitalism / extractive economic model NEEDS EXCESS PEOPLE in its tinkle down theory of predation. What is the classic example of the invading army ? Control insemination and force gestation. What better way to cut off autonomy? Force gender oppression through CREATING societal distortions where men in power deny the (think BOTH men and women in the Trump administration) internalization of absolutist abuse/battering rape culture to destroy the feminine principles in a society. How better than to frame the above in a false moral argument THAT STARTS WITH the consequence of forced pregnancy!!???

But hey - in capitalism THE prime premise is “externalization” of any cost of anyresponsibility for balances that do not support greed.

True. When you have one-party states such as China, government course tends to be steadier. But look at the UK, where the Tories privatise and Labour has promised to re-nationalise the railroads, or Poland, that swings from left to right. It’s the consequence of any democracy

Yeah, I don’t know that much about their health care system. In the past I have looked at Canada or the UK for comparison. I have read that they have austerity and that their national health care is failing. My understanding it is a mixture of private/ public health care. In some areas though I think the US has worse outcomes.

Our corporate health care does extend into other countries, not in a good way in my opinion.

I visited Mexico eight years ago and picked up some medicine. Some of their pharmacies are set up just like in China. Almost all medicines are without prescription. The pharmacy has a general doctor who advises.
In the US, getting prescriptions renewed is an exorbitant and taxing process. Be it birth control, blood pressure meds

Yeah, I am just beginning to use medicare for myself. There is a very heavy reliance on pharmaceuticals in my opinion (in the US) Sometimes there is no alternative. I don’t routinely use pharmaceuticals but that is just me. We really need some method to have continuity of care and diagnostics.