Home | About | Donate

Republican Voters Don't Know Anything About Their Party. That's Very Bad for American Democracy.

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/12/31/republican-voters-dont-know-anything-about-their-party-thats-very-bad-american

1 Like

When I worked in the corporate world during the 80s a company I interviewed me advised me that their unwritten formula for success was (and is) “profit in complexity, profit in confusion”. I declined their offer for employment.

In retrospect it appears that they were simply echoing one of the mantras of the GOP propaganda machine that was refined when the Powell memo appeared in 1973.

How do you fight nearly a half century of the most successful propaganda machine in the history of the world making uninterrupted progress ?

4 Likes

So Republican voters don’t know the position of the Republican party. The truth is, no one else does either, because the Republican party has ceased to have an official position. As of this year, they contested a presidential election without a political platform. All we know is their practices: we know what they have voted for in the past, and what they have imposed by regulation, but we don’t really know what they intend to do tomorrow, because they won’t tell us. The muddle surrounding the support or lack of support which Republicans have shown for $2000 stimulus checks is typical of their mode of operation. Does the Republican party want to authorize these payments? Donald Trump says “yes,” as do a number of senators and representatives. Mitch McConnell says “There is no realistic path” for the approval of this measure, and he has the support of another bunch of politicians. In fact, many of us suspect that very little will really get done as long as the Republican clown car is still in the ring. The only thing that is really predictable is that Republicans will continue to conceal their intentions.

The truth is that there is a “realistic path” for the approval of this measure. Unfortunately, it would involve tying Mitch McConnell hand and foot and locking him in the coal cellar — or, more felicitously, electing Warnock and Ossof.

4 Likes

It isn’t just Republicans who are deluded about policies, but Democrats, too. Most of them believe canards such as the US standing up for freedom worldwide, the generosity of the country in supplying aid to developing countries, fair elections at home and abroad, and a fluid social mobility that allows the poor to advance materially if they work hard enough. Most countries accept myths about their own goodness, but American stands out as exceptional in its denial of its brutal past and present. Dissent from that perspective is angrily rejected by the majority of the people because the truth is too hard to face.

9 Likes

On top of all that, ever since Raygun accelerated the trickle down myth 40 years ago there has been an epidemic of murkins suffering from color blindness, as too many murkins still deny that trickle down has always been one color…yellow.

6 Likes

Democrats don’t know much about their party either.

5 Likes

As one example, neither CNN nor MSNBC has an article about the 41 Democratic Senators who undermined Sen. Sanders’ efforts to get a vote on a stimulus increase.

I have a hard time believing Democratic voters know anything about their party, and a hard time understanding how a Republican voter would shift to vote Democrat.

6 Likes

Totally agree, and I eagerly await your next article on how the Democratic voters don’t know anything about their party either. Many Democratic voters have very little cognisanse of the amazingly similar policies of Democrats and Republicans in congress. For some reason, never borne out by actual legislation, Democratic voters think the Democrats in congress are going to come to their rescue… someday. I hope they don’t start holding their breath while waiting.

4 Likes

The author notes that republicans want to deny healthcare to people with pre-existing conditions.

But conveniently left off the second half:
Democrats want to deny healthcare to people who aren’t rich enough.

3 Likes

Why did Democrats expand Medicaid then? Why did they pass a bill covering the cost of Covid testing? Why do they want Medicaid to auto-cover Covid treatments for the poor and out-of-work? Why did they insist on funding free vaccinations in the latest bill?

1 Like

Now, you could also ask, why are the Dems seen by so many of their supporters as “the party for a fair shake”, when the stench of their noxious neoliberalismo should fill every nostril?

3 Likes

Bottom line-We the People don’t know squat about those who rule us. We’re like the three blind men examining an elephant, knowing bits and pieces but not the whole Beast. And it’s a deliberate plan. If we, and others globally, knew the actual policies and plans of those in power, we might just link together in a massive global movement of dissent instead of piecemeal movements. Small uprisings are so easy to put down using the police and military.
There’s also a great deal of willful ignorance on our part as well. It takes time and effort to weave a way through the tangle of lies and deceit to find the truth, and then we have to join up with others sharing what we’ve learned. But we’re kept so busy with work plus all those diversions conveniently put out every couple of months that we tell ourselves we don’t have time. As well as the lie that it wouldn’t make any difference if we did protest.
Then comes the moment when we, or our children, ask…why didn’t we do more to prevent the massive economic/environmental collapse? All the signs were there…

4 Likes

Why do they prevent Single Payer from even being voted on?

OK, I’ll allow that they don’t mind some of the poorest of the poor to get health care, as long as it’s poor people health care that will always be sub-standard.

2 Likes

Because 1) there is no bill, not a complete one at least (all of the bills leave financing up in the air); 2) to get a complete bill, a bill will have to go through the jurisdictional committee process, which takes time and would lead to discussions of all kinds of issues that make people uncomfortable, like payroll tax increases; 3) to bring a bill to a vote absent the committee process, you need unanimous consent which is going to be tough to get since progressives don’t agree on transition and financing issues themselves; and 4) if a bill did get unanimous consent, it would be because Republicans and moderate Democrats decided to grant it to watch it go down to massive, embarrassing defeat.

To put things in perspective, the last time we made huge changes to healthcare law, Democrats had 59-60 Senate seats (60 for a few months). Before that, when Medicare passed, they had 68 Senate seats. In 1935, when Social Security passed, Democrats had 69. Needless-to-say, we are far from those kind of majorities now.

1 Like

The six issues I tested are 1) protecting the ability of those with pre-existing conditions to get health insurance, 2) expanding Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act, 3) raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour, and 4) allowing companies to dump mining debris into mountain streams.

In other words, which party is the most deceptive? The ACA was written for and by the insurance and pharma cartels to protect their profits. It had nothing to do with our health and wellbeing. Raising the minimum wage is happening at the city and municipal levels where there are true progressives in elected offices. Little is happening at the national level. The same goes for mining debris.

The questions were loaded questions to make it look as though the Democrats give a rat’s ass about the people or the planet.

1 Like

Does anybody know anything about the Republican Party? Their 2016 platform was nothing more than an endorsement of Trump. No policy, no nothing. Aside from making the wealthy and big corporations richer, the Party doesn’t stand for anything.

2 Likes

The platform of the democrats of 2020 was “we are not trump”. They do not stand for anything either except making the rich wealthier.

2 Likes

There are too many things to list that the Democrats in congress are in favor of, that the voters are not in favor of. Endless wars and massive military spending, no Medicare for All, universal spying on people, corporate bailouts and huge corporate subsidies, massive corporate mergers and too big to fail, fracking and pipelines, etc. The Democrats are just as much behind these polices as the Republicans. The Dems just talk about “affordable healthcare” (meaning unaffordable healthcare) and other such nonsense. The Democrats in congress are just as much to blame as the Republicans. Ask Joe “reach across the aisle” Biden. He never met a Republican piece of legislation he wasn’t in favor of.

3 Likes

In my opinion, (and I have many relatives who still believe Trump had the election stolen from him) the Republican Party is nothing but an organized, crime family; a Mafiaocracy that does not deserve to be allowed to be a legitimate US Party! They need to be eliminated, just like the Whig party was.

1 Like

To quote a now former spouse: “What’s Mine is Mine; What’s Yours is Mine.” Seriously…

1 Like