Home | About | Donate

Republicans, Democrats Alike Still Level Threats at Iran

Republicans, Democrats Alike Still Level Threats at Iran

Stephen Zunes

The 2015 Iran nuclear deal should have curbed the longstanding bellicose rhetoric coming from Republican and Democratic political leaders toward the Muslim country. Signed by Iran and six other nations (including the United States) and ratified by the United Nations Security Council, the comprehensive agreement contains strict provisions limiting Iran’s nuclear capabilities to well below the threshold necessary to develop atomic weapons and subjects Iran to the most rigorous inspection regime in history.

While there are some differences between the Republican and Democrats on domestic policy, there is only one major party on foreign policy. Going third party is the only option if you want to vote for peace. Both major parties are without shame in their lust for blood.

Go Green.

Exactly. Iran gave up nuclear weapons years ago and really, there was no need for the Iran agreement other than to quell the drum beat of war coming from Israel. Even Israel's intelligence has admitted there was no active push for nuclear weapons by Iran. It is Netenyahu that is at the core of Clinton's push for aggression toward Iran.
Since Israel has decided the only good terrorist are the one's the Saudi's support. They have chosen sides in the war against ISIS against anything or any country that is Shia, like Syria.
It's old and sickening to watch Clinton lay the groundwork for possible war with Iran and Russia. She will have the support from the Republicans, so no problem there. They all leave out the fact that the US is the biggest terrorist threat all over the world. There has to be some country to project our evils on so Iran and Russia will do. Remember, they tell us who our enemies are and then they sell us on war. They, both parties, have used this tactic for a long time and why not? It still works.

I regard nuclear weapons as an abomination that should be removed from this good Earth. However, seeing as how the USA seems to think it is the boss and claims the right to bomb all and sundry to prove it, I suggest that all countries in the world obtain nuclear weapons so as to keep the peace, just as we have been told since 1945 that nuclear weapons have kept the peace in Europe.

No Democrats!
No Republicans!
No More!

HRC wants war with any male strong man as a way to act out her hatred of billybob. She is pathological. Dangerous. Lizardy. Anyone who admires Kissinger...

"Republicans, Democrats Alike Still Level Threats at Iran"

That would be because it is in their handbook to do so.

"Why of course the people don't want war. Why should some poor slob on
a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best he can get out of
it is to come back to his farm in one piece? Naturally the common people
don't want war neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in
Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the
country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to
drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist
dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no
voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked,
and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the
country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Hermann Goering

but....but...but Clinton was our nations top diplomat and she proved just how extremely diplomatic she is when she said "We came, we saw, he died. cackle cackle cackle." OH WAIT you mean the kind of diplomacy that DOESN'T come from the end of a gun barrel don't you? Well yes you're right, that no longer exists in either the Democratic or Republican parties.

How bad is it in imperialist amerika? Election fraud, war mongering, lackeys for the MIC.
Vote GREEN!

We are so past due for real change in the way our country is being guided, right down the tube into, once again, the jaws of war. If we want the respect of other countries we must, as in any human relationship, show the other guy some respect, not "We came, we saw, he died, ha ha ha,...." and using murder, torture and war to get our way. Thank you, Common Dreams" for publishing articles like this. Yes, I will vote Green this year and then I may just go chain myself to the White House fence with a sign that says, "NO MORE WAR GODDAMMIT!", if I thought that would do any good I would hang there until there was nothing left but my bleached white bones rather than vote for the other two. But it won't do any good so I'll just continue searching for things I can do and ways I can make a difference. All I know at this point is that I can no longer just ride along and wait for the sky to light up like a glorious sunrise.

The insistence of the Clintonista Clan to include " acting unilaterally " in the Democratic platform should come as no surprise. The good professor must know that the old " bed wetting liberal " of yore has been replaced by the " strong executive power " of the DLC/3rd Way ( Neo-Conservative on foreign policy Neo-Liberal on domestic policy ). Winning the power to write the tax codes and award $Trillions in contracts to the MIC certainly overcomes resistance to the annihilation of 85 million Iranians, by any means necessary. Dead people don't use as much energy as living ones; which means " more " for god-fearing, righteous and very exceptional Multi-National Corporations. ...er, I mean rock solid American Patriotic USAins. The Democratic Party is just as much a party of Death Cult Worshipers as The Republican Party, which also supports " strong executive power ". When Empire demands genocidal actions for the support of the PTB/Wall St./MIC either legacy party will gladly push the right buttons.

There is such a history of the US abusing Iran. There was the 1953 overthrow of the elected Iranian government under Mohammad Mossadegh. Read Stephen Kinzer's books for example. That was a major cause of the theocratic Khomeini government whose legacy is still with us. Then the US aided Saddam Hussein's Iraq in the bloody awful Iran-Iraq war. Iran has done nothing that an isolated Shia government in a barbaric oil-nouveau-riche Sunni sea (Saudi Arabia being the worst) hasn't needed to do. It hasn't invaded another country in longer than the length of US's history, which as the Iranians contemptuously note is a blink in history compared to Iran's thousands of years. As far as culture is concerned, there is no comparison. Read William R. Polk for a longer-term history of Iran, and Trita Parsi for the modern period. If the US, under whatever President, attacks Iran, I will do everything I can to side with Iran. Since I am 76 that won't be much but I'll do my best to make the neocon hawks send the FBI to arrest me. I just wish Americans weren't so ignorant of history.