Home | About | Donate

Republicans 'Fear' Green New Deal, Argues Naomi Klein, Because It's a Viable Alternative to Free-Market Failure

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/02/22/republicans-fear-green-new-deal-argues-naomi-klein-because-its-viable-alternative

7 Likes

It’s obvious to those of us on the outside looking in that a job-creating, environment-sustaining Green New Deal is what’s needed to save the earth, humanity and all other living things. I have to wonder though, how many Texans are going to get the message and figure out what’s actually best for them.

8 Likes

There seem to be two explanations emanating from the Texas storm catastrophe: (1) the solution is a greater investment in green, renewable energy systems and a move away from fossil fuels or (2) the solution is to revert to more reliance on fossil fuel systems and deregulation and away from the commie bastard policies of the green new deal and renewable energy systems that these naïve children and Marxist America haters are forcing on us. Let’s see which reaction prevails in Texas.

8 Likes

The great irony is that the Green New Deal better represents the espoused Texas philosophy of independence than does its decades-old reliance on the conspiracy of the polluters, a path in which Texans have found themselves enmeshed in a Stockholm Syndrome allegiance to a mythic cult of the impossible.

10 Likes

Why Texas Republicans Fear the Green New Deal

Small government is no match for a crisis born of the state’s twin addictions to market fixes and fossil fuels.

By Naomi Klein

Ms. Klein is a senior correspondent at The Intercept and the Gloria Steinem Endowed Chair at Rutgers University. Her new book is “How to Change Everything: The Young Human’s Guide to Protecting the Planet and Each Other.”

• Feb. 21, 2021
    ~https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/21/opinion/green-new-deal-texas-blackout.html

This is an article from the New York Times (?), and the Intercept was just taken over wasn’t it - and Greenwald gone ?

Question: Is the Green New Deal not more business as usual ?

Maybe the New York Times has turned over a new leaf - and The Intercept ??

3 Likes

If we use the word fear to describe how republicans feel about a Green New Deal, what word do we use to describe what half the Democratic Party feels about it? Apprehension? Horror? Disgust?
The democrats could pass the Green New Deal tomorrow. They choose not to.

14 Likes

Texas will do minimal patching up…then keep right on extracting–from Earth and its people. What they do. Until they can’t. No learning here.

6 Likes

When Texas, Republicans say that they fear the green new deal, that is true from their perspective, because they are fat cats who are terrified of losing GREEN NEW $$$$$$$$$$$!

7 Likes

Geezzeee, someone may even have to get a job winterizing windmills.

3 Likes

Can this be the beginnings of the decline of unregulated capitalism?

3 Likes

Limits are part of any system, whether simple or complicated. As children of a culture that doesn’t like limits, we’re taught at a very young age to protest limits and then are punished by adults, who then say they don’t want limits. Other cultures allow their children to discover natural limits without punishment, making sure they’re not harmed. Children love fire-allowing them to stick a finger into a flame doesn’t result in a screaming spanking, but a statement, “See, grandson/daughter, the fire is hot and will hurt you. I will put salve on the burn.”
I’ve been observing the massive cognitive dissonance of American culture for 70+ years now, at first with fear as to what action would result in a beating, and then to what action would have a boss chew me out, to “I don’t give a damn if I upset someone because I realize we all need limits, especially our economic and political system”. We’re so far to the right that the Dems are no more than Repubs in disguise.
It’s now time to insist on regulations on ALL business activities. No more predation and exploitation. No more development-too much land has been abandoned and must be rehabbed into affordable housing and local businesses. Nationalization of health care, education, mass transit systems, energy…taking out the profit motive will lead to a healthier, better educated population. Cut the military budget to bare steerageway. Bangs and bombs are not weapons of the future-that area will be in cyberspace. Tax churches and trust fund babies. Best of all, give tax breaks to all those who actually produce necessary items such as food, elder care, health care, child care and tax the bejesus out of the hedge funds and Wall Street.
If there’s one moral I took away from George Lakoff’s two books, Moral Politics and Whose Freedoms? is conservatives loathe regulations and responsibility. Rules apply to the unworthy and bad things are always someone else’s fault.

9 Likes

One thing i really dislike about most repub behavior (and that goes for many establishment Dems too) is that they are always talk about freedom and choice and yet they actively work to prevent lots of people from even being able to try alternatives to the status quo system the repubs (and Dems) are so beholden to and say that they love.

The reason - because these repubs and Dems know full well the flaws in the system and cannot permit others from not only exposing them but providing the solutions to boot. That would threaten their privileged position.

7 Likes

Texas is the perfect example of king raygun’s government is the fucking problem only he left out the part of every goddamn time republicans are elected to run it. Why, because republicans have no fucking clue of what regulations are for or how they’re supposed to work. These undisciplined son of a bitches are all about greed and saying no to everything like a spoiled rotten 2 year old infant that can never be satisfied or content no matter what. Unfit to govern!

4 Likes

More like this is proof of how f***ing insane and ineffective unregulated capitalism is. Can you imagine what most regular people’s energy bills are going to be - skyrocket! First they lose power, then water, and struggle to simply get along. Then they get hammered by the new cost of fossil fuel energy.

6 Likes

they don’t want to wave bye bye to lucrative stock holdings that are pretty easily price-manipulated. it’s less ideological and more, well, greed.

and i wish people would stop calling this an “experiment”. An experiment is made in good faith. Privatization was already an empirical failure by the time we started privatizing the first utilities. It just failed outside the US.

This wasn’t an experiment. It was a f**king scam. From the beginning. Privatize, issue an IPO to a de facto monopoly, raise prices periodically to ensure positive stock growth, and voila, enrichment.

10 Likes

In other words, they are just like the rest of this country.

5 Likes

As a democrat and career transportation system planner, I am disgusted, apprehensive and even horrified that a GND should pass congress as proposed. The basis of my support for any actually effective GND begins with “We drive too much, fly too much, truck and ship goods around the world too much. We jaunt around in competitive motorized toys too much.”

The current GND as proposed is designed solely to serve corporate interests
(Amazon, Uber/Lyft, Tesla/GM/Ford) and the filthy rich.

6 Likes

Many politicians “fear” the Green New Deal as they are heavily invested in the current Oil and Gas economy and all if it’s tributaries.

And it must be no surprise to anyone here that it’s not only the one party’s politicians that has this allegiance.

They must divest now, or recuse themselves when voting on such matters.

5 Likes

Unchecked conservatism always leads to enrichment of the few at the cost of the many. Conservatism at its core is nothing more than predation.

2 Likes

I’m happy to warn the fossil fuel industry that the green new deal can crush them all faster than you can say “coal mine”. Their real enemy is themselves, so I can’t actually do anything about their mortal enemy. Meh.

Detroit, you’re next in line. Save yourselves.

2 Likes