Home | About | Donate

'Repulsive': Outrage as Texas Lieutenant Gov. Says Seniors Willing to Risk Coronavirus Infection to Protect Economy

Here’s a thought for Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick, based on his musings cited above. He should call a press conference to publicly announce his idea to save the American economy: Donald Trump, Mike Pence, William Barr, Rudy Giuliani, Lindsey Graham, Mitch McConnell, and he himself–all brave, patriotic, flag-hugging Republican Americans that they are–will step up and show the rest of us the way. Imagine Trump, Pence and the others rolling up their sleeves and pitching in by, say, cleaning bed pans and sponge-bathing COVID-19-wracked, end-stage victims in clinics and facilities across the nation, until they themselves expired ? Wow, how inspiring would THAT be ? What a stirring and poignant way to lead by example ! Such selfless and heroic actions would cement their legacies as truly great Americans, political martyrs who sacrificed their lives in the service of the country they love; they’d provide merciful comfort and solace, ensuring that the final hacked, rattling breaths of the dying might pass with as much composure and dignity as circumstances allow; and their deaths would jump-start the resurrection of the American economy. Sounds like a win-win to me.

3 Likes

Our lives have been sacrificed to this economy

And now we’re being told to sacrifice them for it … ?

3 Likes

At least all pretense of what capitalism really is seems to be slipping away

1 Like

The clearer the truth

The more fevered the collusion to cloud it

1 Like

I think what he meant was #letnaturetakeitscourse

1 Like

First they came for the Muslims. I did nothing
Then they came for the Latinx. I did nothing.
Then they came for the Elders. I did nothing.
Then they came for me.I worked for Social Security for 30 years. I read the Congressional Records for the period in the 30’s when FDR fought for the program, and then the hearings from the 50’s when disability benefits were added. It was hard reading. But nothing I didn’t expect. The GOP HATED the program right out of the gate. They said, over and over again, if people can no longer take care of themselves for whatever reason, they it’s up to their families to take care of them. Families that were already overburdened with low wages and long hours. As for disability…it would only encourage malingering. Again, let them rely on families.
Then I read George Lakoff’s Moral Politics and something clicked. This is Calvinism juiced up by a quantum leap. The rich are chosen by god as the favored ones, the ones who will get to heaven. The poor, the elderly, the disabled, all are satan’s children and will go to hell. Don’t waste good money on bad rubbish(a phrase I read repeatedly).
This concept is erupting now like a supervolcano in American culture, which has always been Calvinist at its core. I’m an Elder. And I’ll not go quietly into that good night. I will rage against the dying of the light, and take the mo-fo’s trying to kill me right along.

2 Likes

No one has ever considered the Republicans to be decent, moral or ethical, they are all venal and greedy!

2 Likes

Here are my Texas numbers for 3/24/20. I start with livescience . com data and I publish daily at (h)ttp://quakerworks.net/statecoronavirusstatistics.htm

New cases in the last 4 days: 603
Older cases: 223
Percent growth beyond replacement: 170%
“Turning the Corner” ranking among the 50 states: #36, not good.

Texas has started way ahead of states such as Massachusetts, New York and Washington state. 603 new cases still isn’t that much in a heavily populated state. However, if Texas keeps doubling every 5 days then they’re going to lose an awful lot of 80-something year olds, and all the other states will try to quarantine all of their traveling residents. Massachusetts, Washington and D.C. all seem to be turning the corner right now, even if Texas doesn’t care.

1 Like

Correct. He has been an evil influence in Texas for ages. Fails at everything he does. Yet he keeps going talking his nonsense. Economy over people what a classic Texas bit of bullxxxx.

Yes, and might I add when they need ventilators they will bravely state, “No let me go. Let someone else have them.”

1 Like

Absolutely correct. Maybe a few more progressives than you think but buried under the weight of the evil right wing nuts, and magas. Worse would come out of this state if it was not for the progressives here. I had a professor who was a green tell me this was the front lines in the battle against evil and fighting the battle in this state was one of the most exhausting things he ever did. He left for Canada soon after. LOL

Interesting. Here we go again, different words, same phenomenon: Patrick, a wannabe Nazi, is spouting the Final Solution, American version under fascist government, including some states’.

Despicable in 1933 on. Despicable in 2020.

1 Like

As Trump and so many other legislators are willing to let many die in order to continue their “American dream”; what real chance then does any meaningful legislation against climate change have of being enacted by these Mammon worshippers? Answer: Not a snowballs chance in hell.

1 Like

Ah, yes. Well said ! You’re absolutely right. We should all strive mightily to achieve the functional level of these patriotic, tireless and heroic public servants who clutch our safety and best interests selflessly to their hearts, willingly casting themselves upon this viral grenade to save us all.

1 Like

You’re a modern day Hitler. I’m sure you’d be last in line to volunteer.

So proud to be a Texan💩. So our politicians can murder us.