Home | About | Donate

Researchers Warns Arctic Has Entered 'Unprecedented State' That Threatens Global Climate Stability

Researchers Warns Arctic Has Entered 'Unprecedented State' That Threatens Global Climate Stability

Jon Queally, staff writer

A new research paper by American and European climate scientists focused on Arctic warming published Monday reveals that the "smoking gun" when it comes to changes in the world's northern polar region is rapidly warming air temperatures that are having—and will continue to have—massive and negative impacts across the globe.

4 Likes

In the mean time we face a polarization on the science. Though there is not a single doubt in my mind that the changing climate represents a crisis, I am always on the lookout for critiques and evidence of anything that might be missing in the analysis. One such instance is quite recent. I do not subscribe to the argument, but present this link because I think it might be important, if only on an introductory basis. Any responses are welcome

What criteria of solar activity, and what of what is KNOWN about that data, is incorporated into the solar forcing dynamics in the scientific climate change modelling? When that full data base is incorporated, what does the model then look like?

Whatever the cause there is no denying things are pretty weird in the climate department. So we are still screwed. I didnt watch the full 40 mins i have to admit.

2 Likes

As an Alaskan, resident, I have seen this first hand. How long before the U.S. and the rest of the planet realize our earth is on the eve of climate devastation and destruction?

15 Likes

Probably when New York City floods - oh wait, that already happened. Maybe when hell freezes over …

9 Likes

Miami-Dade and lots of Louisiana. 20 years from complete inundation.

Mass species extinction. Already well underway.

Many Pacific islands now submerged. Many more soon to be.

Deck chair rearranging. That’s apparently all we can muster.

13 Likes

There is no denying the cause: humanity’s arrogant abuse of the environment. TheOldGoat is the usual bloviator who contrives doubt with lies about scientific fraud or incompetence. No doubt has existed since the 60s, when Exxon scientists warned the top corporate bosses AGW would be the result of fossil fuel use.

7 Likes

Probably not until we see this future headline:
WORLD WIDE, MILLIONS SICK AND DYING FROM CLIMATE DEVASTATION!

3 Likes

“Arrogant abuse of the environment” - that is indisputable - no argument there. Iḿ simply looking at a potential addition of data TO ADD TO THE SCIENCE. Call that undermining if thats what its to you. You might want to keep in mind that even the scientists are continuing the search for greater detail, ongoing data and stronger arguments. To prevent those from being brought into the model would be a contrivance.

Try again.

7 Likes

“Because the Arctic atmosphere is warming faster than the rest of the world, weather patterns across Europe, North America and Asia are becoming more persistent, leading to extreme weather conditions.” - That’s the gist of the latest repot and it scares the hell out of me.

7 Likes

As a New Yorker, I saw the damage and how the Salt Water destroyed the ancient wiring that is still powering the Trains, that was installed during the 1930’s! Many train routes were not functioning causing transit chaos. Our infrastructure is crumbling and hanging on by a thread.

7 Likes

Goat - You seriously don’t think there is enough study done on solar forcing? There is over a hundred years of direct observation, with geological and ice core data there is millions of years of info, no models needed, the sun cycles only represent a tiny % of earth temp change over the last million years or so. It is the CO2 in our atmosphere that allows for life on this planet, that is how important it is. Too much and we cook, too little and we freeze, regardless of where the sun cycle is at.

9 Likes

An Arctic Sea Ice coverage is at a record low for this date. Just google “charctic.”

3 Likes

Here’s the link: http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/charctic-interactive-sea-ice-graph/

4 Likes

Troll or bot. Post should be removed.

3 Likes

I meant to say NOT enough study.

TheOldGoat is usually asking fair scientific questions. The fossil fuel industry’s paid online troll is usually putting one or the other of us down, which is rotten behavior, which at the least doesn’t make the fossil fuel industry look any better, not that they could look much worse so what do they have to lose by throwing vinegar at us?

3 Likes

Sadly I feel it will be after the collapse of industrial civilization. Then survival is highly problematic, around 25-30% as of now. There is no will to change systemically enough to avoid disaster. If this was so the changes would have begun in the 70’s when global poisoning/warming was settled due to human activity. Profit before Earth and the peoples both human and non-human friends.

7 Likes

Now, here’s my argument. It’s one thing to announce that an Arctic meltdown is going to boost greenhouse gas numbers to maybe 1200 ppm, which is awful. Several decades ago it was somewhat brave of the AMA to say that smoking is linked with lung cancer.

Actually quitting smoking before the doctor puts on that long face is step two, and lots of people never get around to quitting smoking. In the case of the Arctic meltdown we need, or else, to do a couple of things. We need the worldwide treaty. Then we need properly vetted research and development, which means we need unimpeachable (now that’s a term!) committees, preferably appointed by single transferable vote elections so that we have a wide unimpeachable base.

If you ask me I’m going to recommend wind-powered snowmaking and wind powered artificial sea pack ice making, to restore the Arctic’s albedo naturally. However, let’s have a competition here.

3 Likes

"This is obliterating records."

Hope nobody here has any property on any coastlines.

I had one. Sold it in 2012.

1 Like